[MOD] GreatPersonMod with RenamerMod

Hi guys.

Glad you like the mod.
Is it possible to transfer this 'mod that has to be loaded' into a mod that's just available in the my games folder? (and thus automaticly always works)?

Cybershy,
If you copy the folder Great People into MyGames/civ4/customassets/art and then you place all the python files in the corresponding places in Custom Assets, it will load with the game. However, if you have other mods that already load, I cannot guarentee that it will work with them.Two mods that I know of that don't work with it automatically loaded are Autolog, Simple Remender(both by eotinb) and the better Score Graph.

Excellent-looking mod, Patricius, but why did you have to put it on the "members-only" server?
I hate signing up for things I'm only going to use once.
Underhill, I am totally new at this so if there is a better server that you can suggest, I will put it up there so yo don't have to sign in. It wouldn't fit on this website. Thanks for the compliment too.

Walter Hawkwood said:
Looks good. Just one thing: pictures for Al-Razi and Abu Bakr are still mixed up with one another.

And just an idea to share - there is a disproportional number of different types of great people born. I've seen Harkuf born in industrial age, while by that time the game is out of names for great scientists. Most GP lists are quite sufficient, while scientists could really use about a double increase in numbers. I could make that myself if you'd post a template for scroll popup, or, if you're interested I could do some name/quote hunting.

I am pretty sure that the photos are correct. Here are some websites I used.

http://www.famousmuslims.com/MOHAMMAD%20IBN%20ZAKARIYA%20AL-RAZI.htm

http://maratray.chez-alice.fr/marieag/islam/islam3.htm (Its in French)

I agree that there are many Scientists that could have been listed as Great People. But You would have to edit a XML file and I didn't want this to be a game changing mod. Theoretically we could add as many new Scientists as we want.

For all the problems with The Screen Resolution... I made this mod at the resolution that I play at...there probably is a way to center it always, but I am not very good at the Python Scripting that controls that...So if anyone could fix that problem and then post the new File, I will put it at the top of the thread as the new File. :confused:

Also I do not belive that the 1.52 update is required for this mod.

Originally by Tableist
Only one time did I miss a popup, as one of the other leaders popped up asking for open borders and came up right in front of the popup. Don't know if there's a way to make it hold until other events have occured.

I am not sure how to fix that(Once Again):blush: ...If Snoopy were still around he probably could...but if anyone else knopws how, that would be great if they told me and I will implement it.

Thanks again for all you compliments, but remember to thank Snoopy too. He did most of the Python stuff and I mostly updated the Graphics and changed a few things in Python because of the update.

Anyway, sorry I was so long in responding, and thanks for all the input.:)

Sincerely,
Patricius

I checked, looks like you're right about Abu Bakr stuff - my apologies.

Adding more great scientists also has only cosmetic effect on the game, but if you're against XML changes, I guess I could do it myself as an add-on to your mod. Then all I'm asking is the scroll template you used for GP popup art.

Hi Guys,

I belive I have finally fixed the problem with lower resolution centering and all...I will be posting the whole file at the beggining of the thread but for those who don't want to download the whole file again, here is the Python file that was changed.

View attachment 112568

Put this file in \My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\MODS\GreatPersonMod v1.2\Assets\Python\Screens
and click yes when it asks you if you want to overwrite the file.

I also finally got the file on the Civ Fantatics server, but that is only v1.1 so i will have to get v1.2 on the website now.

Hope you enjoy!

Patricius

Patricius, your mod is great, but you should get rid of your CvGreatPersonEventManager.py and incorporate the stuff into CvCustomEventManager.py to make life easier for everybody. This will also remove the need to edit CvEventInterface.py in your mod.

Check this post.

RobO said:
Patricius, your mod is great, but you should get rid of your CvGreatPersonEventManager.py and incorporate the stuff into CvCustomEventManager.py to make life easier for everybody. This will also remove the need to edit CvEventInterface.py in your mod.

Check this post.

RobO,

Thanks for telling me this. I was having trouble merging it with other mods, but I couldn't figure out how to merge it with one that changes CvEventInterface.

Could you explain what the two corrections are that you changed to make it work? Since this is a much better streamlined version of the mod, I will probably release an update.

Sincerely,
Patricius

Patricius said:
Could you explain what the two corrections are that you changed to make it work?
Well, some of this was trial and error.
First, CvCustomEventManager.py is obviously the place to add your own events in a modular fashion. It is meant to be there, and other mods use it. That's why I decided to move your event there, rather than move events from other mods to your event manager.

Secondly, I wanted to get rid of those two lines in __init__self of CvCustomEventManager. They loked out of place, made it difficult to merge the mod with others and other mods didn't seem to need them. They obviously referred to the last line where you call interfaceScreen(pUnit, pCity). I tried several combinations (turning debug messages and logs on in the ini file to get feedback) but none of them were able to pass the proper self object to interfaceScreen. I then looked up Jon Schafer's Python guide and found on page 4 something that made me add () to the test - I think it was his use of gc = CyGlobalContext(). It occurred to me that using CvGreatPersonScreen.CvGreatPersonScreen().interfaceScreen might pass the proper self object, and it did.

So, it is a mix of programming experience (though not with Python) and trial and error.

And you can get the details in Alerum's thread here and here.

Patricius said:
Changes v1.5

Added Great Scientist, Great Prophet, Great Artist, Great Merchant, and Great Engineer.

What does that mean?

Zuul said:
What does that mean?

I added five new pop-ups called "Great Scientist", "Great Engineer", ect. I playtested a whole game, and at the end, when all the names are used up, a pink screen came up when a great scientist is born. So this should fix the problem with those five generic names.

Patricius

I would *love* to use this mod, but I'm stuck on Alerum's unaltered gameplay mod......I really hope you guys can figure it out.
(just letting you both know your efforts are appreciated)

grazwell said:
I would *love* to use this mod, but I'm stuck on Alerum's unaltered gameplay mod......I really hope you guys can figure it out.
(just letting you both know your efforts are appreciated)
Grazwell, are you talking about the issue that I fixed from this post and onwards to post 78 or thereabouts? It can be done, but you need to do some event manager editing yourself.

Your great person mod looks awesome, but it won't work for me. Nothing seems to change- no pop-ups, no errors. Can you help me?

RobO, yes that's the one. I've just re-read that thread and I *think* I follow hat it is saying. I have no qualms about editing the python files, just so long as I don't have to actually think up code myself :)

I'll download this mod now and try it out tomorrow.
Thanks for the reply - I do read the thread before I post, but I hadn't realised you'd fixed it before.

I don't use Alerums mod, but I have instead incorporated most of the stuff he uses and some other stuff into my own prefererred setup. I used v1.2 of this GreatPerson mod when I did the changes, but as far as I can see it has become easier with v1.5 than it was with v1.2.

Not very quickly, but I've still finished the expansion for the mod. It is based on observation that AIs tend to generate more Great Scientists than any other GPs, and as such they run out of names much more frequently than all others.

To prevent this, I've added 15 new Great Scientists along with the art, and one new GP of each other category as an added bonus. Just extract these into the original mod directory. It doesn't overwrite any of the original mod files.

Be wary though, that it contains XML changes, and as such is not immediately compatible with any mod that alters Civ4UnitInfos.xml. It might still be easy to remedy this, as the only changes it contains is the expanded name list for GPs. Just copy/paste those to target xml, and the job is done.

I would very much appreciate comments and feedback on this, as well as any bugs you might encounter (I hope there are none, as the modification itself is very simple).

Download it here

Walter Hawkwood said:
Not very quickly, but I've still finished the expansion for the mod. It is based on observation that AIs tend to generate more Great Scientists than any other GPs, and as such they run out of names much more frequently than all others.

To prevent this, I've added 15 new Great Scientists along with the art, and one new GP of each other category as an added bonus. Just extract these into the original mod directory. It doesn't overwrite any of the original mod files.

Be wary though, that it contains XML changes, and as such is not immediately compatible with any mod that alters Civ4UnitInfos.xml. It might still be easy to remedy this, as the only changes it contains is the expanded name list for GPs. Just copy/paste those to target xml, and the job is done.

I would very much appreciate comments and feedback on this, as well as any bugs you might encounter (I hope there are none, as the modification itself is very simple).

Download it here

Hey Walter, the Mod looks Great...I have already added it. and when I come out with the next version(which will include cveventinterface) I will include it if you will let me.

I have one question...some of the names in the art files are not capitilized while the text in UnitInfos is...do youknow if this makes a difference? Will they still recognize the art file?

Patricius

Top Bottom