[MOD] More Naval AI

Oh yes. I forgot about that. I made a change where the Unique lairs cannot be explored if they are in someone else's land. This was so players could use the Pyre and the Well for their mana, without having to worry about other players coming along and opening up the lair.

RIFE did something cool with unique lairs. When explored, they stay on the map, but cannot be explored again for a set number of turns (don't remember exactly how many, perhaps it was tied to game speed). This allowed to keep the mana, but more importantly, also keep the unique abilities of the lair (like the Pyre's angel sacrifice) and add to the map feel. If this is possible to do in base FFH I think this would be a welcome addition.

(IIRC Bradeline's Well does not produce mana in base FFH, though it's been a while since I've last seen it, was something changed about that?)

New patch is corrupting something, had crashes and had to reinstall everything; its impossible for my comp to play this patch in any way. I have no idea what it is.

New patch is corrupting something, had crashes and had to reinstall everything; its impossible for my comp to play this patch in any way. I have no idea what it is.
Check your compatibility settings. Play with them and see if that fixes it. I had to use XP compat on some version way back. When I downloaded the Rife SVN I found it would not play until I undid that setting and let it play in normal w7 mode.

Tholal! This mod is absolutely fantastic.

I do have one suggestion. At slower gamespeeds I've always had a problem with FoL and RoK (and to a lesser extent, OO) spreading like wildfire and making the game essentially two-sided (or sometimes three-sided). Whoever founds and switches to Order and Empyrean inevitably gets dogpiled in the midgame. Which, of course, is a FFH problem rather than a mod problem. Unfortunately, religion just isn't optimized for slow tech progression.

I ended up drastically lowering the passive spread rate for all religions and raising each leader's attitude level threshold for Open Borders by one, and this seems to have helped a bit. Since the leaders' religious preferences aren't especially strong in the mod, have you given any thought to this?

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the next version.

I've done at least two scenarios with it installed.

Oh, great, was it big difference from vanilla scenarios? Was AI much better?

Edit: I wonder which difficulty level should I play it on, if emperor was ok for vanilla.

Check your compatibility settings. Play with them and see if that fixes it. I had to use XP compat on some version way back. When I downloaded the Rife SVN I found it would not play until I undid that setting and let it play in normal w7 mode.

I managed to get it working again. It apparently had something to do with the blue marble that I usually use.

Does the AI consider the Armageddon count when it's deciding to raise or keep a city? I just finished a game where I was mostly peaceful but the AI warred amongst themselves substantially and generally raised cities rather than keeping them. One of the cities raised was the OO holy city. Having looked at the map at the end of the game most of the raising was good. They'd taken cities far from their own borders (generally) so raising them made sense. However towards the end of the game, Flauros waged war on his neighbor the clan (whom I was also fighting) and raised their cities that he took. They were right on his border so he could potentially have kept them. This relates back to the Armageddon counter as he raised one that took it over 90. Game wise he was neutral following Runes of Kilmorph.

I'm not the greatest player but for myself I see a couple of key levels in the Armageddon counter. When it reaches 30 and 90. Hitting 30 is inconvenient and I like to have hit medicine by that point and to be building infirmaries. I hit 90 once before (I was guilty) and decided that the chaos wasn't worth it (although when I next play as the Shaim I'll see how it works for them).

So I guess how the AIs consideration of the AC could come down to how well it's placed to counter the effects of hitting those thresholds with teh consideration of how well it's doing compared to the other players. In the game above, it may have made sense for them to hit it as I was in the lead point wise and had several of the towers completed. So introducing the chaos of hitting AC 90 could be beneficial to them, under some conditions, and detrimental under others. If their in the lead then they should try not to hit it.

Incidentally, I noticed that a hell-flare thing appeared on a volcano plot. Not sure if that's a bug or a feature.

The work that you've done on the mod here, Tholal is great and I do enjoy playing it.

Great mod! Looking forward to more AI improvements but definitely better than before. I have noticed the AI not developing enough farms to grow bigger cities, however it was worse before. Plus, I notice civs having settlers during wartime and not settling with them. Anyways, time for an AI rant later on.

I kept having a WoC error until I figured out that Auric building the Deepening was causing it at the final turn of the ritual completion. I went into the xml project and edited the 1 to a 0 for it and worked fine after that (gave him a tech to make up for it).

Does the AI consider the Armageddon count when it's deciding to raise or keep a city?

No. The only AI that considers the Armageddon Counter is a few lines I put in to encourage the Sheaim and Elohim to build their special projects. I'll keep your suggestions in mind next time I'm looking at the raze code.

I kept having a WoC error until I figured out that Auric building the Deepening was causing it at the final turn of the ritual completion.

It's just a very labor intensive effect. Especially on larger maps. The turn will progress if you wait long enough.

Thank you for your work Tholal, I have been enjoying it a lot :)

I have been playing a team game with my brother. No problems at all except one that (maybe) was expected. After investigating Infernal Path, my teammate chose to play as the Infernals. We immediately had a OOS error. I can provide a savegame from a few turns before the research is done if you need it. If there is no good way to make the civilization switch work in multiplayer, maybe it should be disabled in that case.

Thank you for your work Tholal, I have been enjoying it a lot :)

I have been playing a team game with my brother. No problems at all except one that (maybe) was expected. After investigating Infernal Path, my teammate chose to play as the Infernals. We immediately had a OOS error. I can provide a savegame from a few turns before the research is done if you need it. If there is no good way to make the civilization switch work in multiplayer, maybe it should be disabled in that case.

As I recall, this is a known and avoidable error from base FFH. You will pretty much always go OOS when changing civs like that, but if you save, exit, and reload you should be able to continue just fine. For what it's worth, we find that exiting Civ entirely rather than just having one person reconnect when going OOS tends to result in longer gaps between OOS errors in general.

Top Bottom