[MOD] More Naval AI

chatters comment:

Hi Gekko. ;)

/chatters comment.

---

BTW, I still appreciate your work here, Tholal. Just wanted to grasp the opportunity to say so.

The point is, with UCs, there is a literal TREASURE TROVE of new moddability, for without UCs, extra civics will just be cluttered and ugly.

I see. You want the new civics to replace existing civics for the specified civilization. Just like Unique Units but for Civics instead. I misunderstood. Cool idea. Not something I'd be getting into anytime soon though.

Thanks, I'll toy with them a while longer, see what happens. They definitely have Omniscience. Maybe I'll let them take a few cities, make them feel better about themselves. :)

One of the issues is that it's a Project. Projects are relatively low priority for the AI.

[to_xp]Gekko;11919067 said:
something that imho could be improved in the current version is the way AI chooses which religion to adopt.

Agreed.

also I'll second the guy who claims hyborem tends to spawn on the southernmost tile in premade maps.

I use FFH Earth Large regularly for testing and never see this happen. Which maps are you using?

[to_xp]Gekko;11923157 said:
any chance you can include the Citystyle modmod and Mokeyfinger's Visible Forests for Elves in the next release? both don't alter gameplay but enhance the experience :)

The citystyle mod also changes improvements so I think it would be redundant to also have the Visible Improved Forests mod as well.

I considered making this part of MNAI before, but the problem is that it overwrites the graphics changes to improvements based on religion.

Recently I found an issue in the PuppetState code. I couldn't form a puppet state from a city I captured. The following code in CvDLLButtonPopup.cpp was causing this:
Code:
bool bPuppet = (player.canMakePuppet(pNewCity->getPreviousOwner()) && 
		!pNewCity->canJoinPuppetState(player.getID()) && 
		[B]!GET_PLAYER(pNewCity->getOriginalOwner()).isBarbarian());[/B]
The city was captured from the Barbarians a long time ago (Not even by the current owner). I don't know if that behavior is intended, I believe not. I changed it to
Code:
bool bPuppet = (player.canMakePuppet(pNewCity->getPreviousOwner()) && 
		!pNewCity->canJoinPuppetState(player.getID()) && 
		[B]!GET_PLAYER(pNewCity->getPreviousOwner()).isBarbarian());[/B]

Makes sense. Thanks for the fix!

Could you expose a leader's ReligionWeightModifier to python, and make it so that the revolution code will never give a leader a state religion with a -100 weighting?

Looks like ReligionWeightModifier is already exposed. Line 4245 in Revolution.py is where religions are being set for rebels. I'll fix it for the next release.

First thing i want to say is thank you! This is a great mod and makes it possible to play FFH2 in multiplayer without OOS. Thank you!

But i have a problem and i dont know if its my game installation or if its a bug.
Every time i play somnium to get a diplomatic bonus the game crashes to desktop the next time i end round. Playing for fun does not effect the game. It happens only when i play for bonus. I could send you a savegame but it happens every game and every time play it. So sending you a savegame makes no sense at all.

Just want to give some feedback.

I tried the mod in version 1.7 the last time I think and it still had issues in early game at that time. Mainly with early defense against rushes and city placement.

Played the last 2.3 version via Magister Mod last week and it was a totally different experience. I was beaten fair and square by a Ljosolfar march of the trees rush. Before that he fended off an early warrior rush from me and almost made one on myself in response. They also don't sacrifice their troops easily, and instead roam around my cities. It requires almost new strategies to keep them out.

The main difference to last time was definitely that they build more warriors early to defend against rushes. The AI also seems to have a good sense when it can win a battle and when it would be just sacrificing its troops. It was also teching quite good and using better troop types soon.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the city placement since the Ljosolfar player built his first city directly next to mine. Well, it could also have been intended since they defend and rush better. It won the battle after all, so in this case it was a good decision.

Key point is that it's finally from the start better than the Wildmana AI. Though I didn't play the end game so I'm not sure how good the AI performs at this stage of the game. But at least until mid game it's definitely great! Well done!

I run FFH2 and Master of Mana fine except for multiplayer which has been giving me problems. I read that Tholals mod could help with multiplayer so I wanted to give it a try for FFH2.

I use steam. I have install FFH2, then install patch o, media pack, and blue marble. It runs fine. Then I install the More Naval AI mod and it points to the correct folder in steam. Start up the game and it crashes.

Any advice?

Thanks for the new mod, but I find it totally unplayable. I've played twelve games with it and in eleven of them everyone (or nearly everyone) declared war on me, on the same turn (usually around turn 200). I don't mind taking on two or even three civs at once, but this endless dog pile is pointless. Getting crushed time and time again without getting to really play the game sucks.

Diplomacy is a joke. It makes no difference who is friendly or furious, they all get together and jump on the human player. And forget about defensive pacts: your "ally" will drop the pact and declare war when the rest of the AI do.

The one game I won I limited the AI to six civs, two of which died soon after the game started.

Too bad, too. I liked the smarter AI and better naval rules. But why play a game you can't finish?

Thanks for the new mod, but I find it totally unplayable. I've played twelve games with it and in eleven of them everyone (or nearly everyone) declared war on me, on the same turn (usually around turn 200). I don't mind taking on two or even three civs at once, but this endless dog pile is pointless. Getting crushed time and time again without getting to really play the game sucks.

Diplomacy is a joke. It makes no difference who is friendly or furious, they all get together and jump on the human player. And forget about defensive pacts: your "ally" will drop the pact and declare war when the rest of the AI do.

The one game I won I limited the AI to six civs, two of which died soon after the game started.

Too bad, too. I liked the smarter AI and better naval rules. But why play a game you can't finish?

try to untick aggresive ai in custom game options. I played 3 games and haven't experienced too many wars.

I run FFH2 and Master of Mana fine except for multiplayer which has been giving me problems. I read that Tholals mod could help with multiplayer so I wanted to give it a try for FFH2.

I use steam. I have install FFH2, then install patch o, media pack, and blue marble. It runs fine. Then I install the More Naval AI mod and it points to the correct folder in steam. Start up the game and it crashes.

Any advice?
I'm not sure but try NOT installing Blue marble.

FFH already has its own "re-vamp terrain";
so no need for blue-marble.
further I kinda remember reading that if you really wanted blue marble, there was a very specific order of installation for it to work with FFH and esp. More Naval AI.

I hope it will be sufficient...
if this doesn't work... well maybe someone else would know more

I agree with previous response :
-un-tick aggressive AI.
-take well care of your SCORE... the AI is written strangely in that it only (okay. mostly) looks at score difference and army power difference to know if it dogpiles you. .. and it never (okay, almost never) looks at the past friendly relations with you.

so build a few more warriors or other units to "show" that you are stronger. (actual promotions that multiply strength might not be taken well into account)

Every time i play somnium to get a diplomatic bonus the game crashes to desktop the next time i end round.

Known issue. Will be fixed in the next release.

JWell done!

Thanks!

Something about Blue Marble causes this issue. I believe you can install Blue Marble last and it will work.

I did add some code in the last version that encouraged the AI to attack neighbors it perceives as weak. Are you light on military compared to everyone else? Next version will have this attack-the-weak strategy scale with difficulty setting. What settings are you playing with?

Been putting some time into getting organized and hope to have a new release out by the end of the month.

Thanks for the advice. I really don't want to give up on this mod yet, so I'll try all those ideas. I have been playing at Prince level, but have dialed back to Noble on the last couple of games (Dang, I thought I was better than this!). I don't play with Aggressive AI on. I do play with the Advanced Tactics on. Might that have any effect on the AIs aggressiveness?

I suppose the best remedy is go out and get them before they get me.

I have a completely different experience. I never get dogpiled for instance, but I also don't play on regular maps. I prefer the "full of resources" mapscript (which has FFH2 settings) and choose the "Hub" map. I do notice the AI seems unwilling to send troops over though.....except ships to combat mine and stop trade/pillage.

Regarding diplomacy, I try and get Trade tech first to stay ahead of the tech game, and manipulate the civs to war with each other. I have noticed it's best to keep open borders with similar alignment civs, and closed border otherwise (otherwise you lose relations with your allies trying to get you to close them). Giving in to demands sometimes helps too.

Oh, and I never turn on 'aggressive' civs, and usually have a light military unless I'm behind on tech. Outsmarting the AI with less units is pretty easy in this game. I was having a pretty hard time taking on the Clan of Embers while they had assassins & Nox Noctis (what a pain). Now I'm playing Amurites with uber Wizards with stoneskin, death & stigmata, so waiting to see how that plays out.....and discovered Govanon teach spellcasting ability works on all kinds of other units (except demon and undead).

I get BugOptions: cannot locate settings folder.

This makes some sense, because after installing it I had to begin using the /ALTROOT setting to point cIV to a separate drive for save files.

Is there a python or ini file I can edit to point it to the correct location?

I have a new computer now, and can now play CivIV without the computer overheating, so I have to ask, how do I win as Elohim?

I have a new computer now, and can now play CivIV without the computer overheating, so I have to ask, how do I win as Elohim?

like with any other country. You can chose whatever victory type you want :>
In my games, I prefer to switch off all the victories at all. After 500-600 turns, I stop playing after completing all my personal missions like: get a non hero unit with almost maximum amount of promotions or create an expedition group of 4-5 units and send it across the erebus to search all dungeons, find great monuments, find and survive the acheron's lair and etc. Just make a game interesting for you, by creating mini stories within the game.

Top Bottom