[Mod] Mylon Mod - New Culture Model, Terraforming, and more!

mylon, you seem to by knowledgable about python, am i right?
so when the SDK will be released, you will be able to use it, am i correct?
im not into programming, so please forgive me this straightforward and uninformed question. :)

did i already mention that this is a great and complex mod IMHO?

Mylon said:
I originally generated a number and then used that to add food directly to the city, but I've changed to using hidden buildings with a +% modifiers to food, production, and gold. Food Bonus Building 0 provides +5% food, Food Bonus Building 1 provides +10% food, Food Bonus Building 2 provides +20% food, building 3 is +40%, then +80%, and so on. Then arrange them using powers of 2 like the calculated bonus was a binary number.

According to this formula, having most resources plus granary and grocer should give like 500% food bonus? In my game that still gives like 80% or so.
Or have i misunderstood something?

(Btw, great mod, lots of interesting&fun stuff :) )

The bonus is only about 80%, and as it was designed. The idea is, for a bonus of, say, 75%, the game can add in food Bonus buildings +40%, +20%, +10%, and +5%. When the bonus goes up to 80%, it removes all of the previous buildings and adds the +80% one. The buildings are additive, by the way, not cumulative.

Problem : with 1.52 has appeared a new speed Marathon aka 1200 turns :eek:

Can you implement it ?

I am just trying out the mod, so I am at the beginning.
Why does the Palace not generate culture? Also my other city (founded a religion) should generate culture and expand its boundaries. I do not think it is a bug but it is planned. But I do not understand how it works?

ok now I do think it is a bug. Why can my city have a negative culture value. See screenshot.

Attachments

• screen1.JPG
    screen1.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 442
I guess the change I made that was supposed to make certain buildings generate culture specifically for their owners didn't work. I'll have to take some time to troubleshoot the code and either get it working or put the idea on a back burner. I apologize for the poor performance of this version.

This change was difficult to troubleshoot because the World Builder attributes ownership to buildings oddly.

Mylon, i have a question about inquisition. The code that changed seemed to be <iConquestProb>100</iConquestProb>

What does it mean ? It raises the prob to remove resistance in a conquered city and reduce the % of foreign culture ? It works for your own cities ? Is it a firaxis code for EVERY conquest of a new city, +100% faster conquest ? I don't know enough the mecanisms of conquest because i'm always too pacifist in my games....

No need to apologize. Only those who do nothing, make no mistakes. Which version do you recommend to use? I guess 0.31?

I tried testing it further and I didn't have any problems. I tweaked 2 lines of code since releasing 0.32, and neither of them has anything to do with the special way these buildings work.

I basically started a game and watched culture grow. I started off getting 8 culture per turn (5 from palace, 2 from population, 1 free for owning the city). So that worked fine. Then I discovered Bhuddism and I was getting 13 culture per turn (same as before, +2 for 1 more population, +3 for owning the holy city of the religion present). Right. So then I chopped a couple forests adn built Stonehenge. Then I was getting 23 culture per turn (again, got another pop point). Again, perfectly normal. I opened up the world building and dropped the Citizen Itcha and that was generating culture just fine. Again, everything was normal. (I guess world Builder wasn't quite as quirky as I had thought.)

I'm not seeing the problem, or a possible cause for it. If you could, please tell me what you did before the culture started going down and I'll have a better idea on how to trouble shoot it.

As for the inquisition... <iConquestProb>100</iConquestProb> merely determines whether the building gets captured or not. And since the Inquisition building gets destroyed as soon as it's created, it's not relevant.

Played v0.31 and I like it.

The change of strategic resources are cool, but I think it should be even more costly not having the resource. Now every civ builds chariots almost from start. So maybe have 300%-400% cost instead of 200%.

The tech tree is bugged, displaying many techs in same place.

Only three techs are displaying in the same place, and that's because when I did have the techs organized properly they weren't obeying the proper prerequisites.

I'd really like to change how strategic resources work for units as a whole. Instead of providing a bonus, it should reduce the cost of the unit. How is this different? If a city already has +130% to build speed (from a Forge, Factory, power, and several resources), an additional +100% to build speed is relatively minor (a less than 50% increase, or about a 35% reduction in build time. This way units all units can be uniformly doubled in price from their default values and the resources would reduce them back to their original values.

At the same time, the production bonus for having the resource cannot simply be increased because then it trivializes the production bonus of the city. That is, if a unit costs 11 times more and the resources gives you +1000% to production speed, your +130% might shave a mere one turn off the production time, if that. In short, base production becomes too important.

Me thinks that most of the game Units should require facilities like Castles for Knights, Factories for Tanks, DryDocks for Sub ect ect. Once you have these as known elements their effects can be taken into account when calculating price and other bonuses.

Mylon said:
I'm not seeing the problem, or a possible cause for it. If you could, please tell me what you did before the culture started going down and I'll have a better idea on how to trouble shoot it.
i play 2 game whit new version.
The last game i have seame minus cultur problem. I have conquest the city from AI (the image is 2 round after revolt, 7 after conquest). i conquest 4 more city idnt have this problem, by this yes.

this is no critic, i hope i can help you. my Anglish is to bad, sorry.
and i am not a python fan.

thks for you nace mod and hard work

Just a little question of a newbie who likes the One-City-Challenge:
e.g. In the original Civ IV you need to build a certain number of universities before you're able to build the Oxford University. This has been changed for the OCC, you just need one university (for you can't build another one anyway). You implemented such buildings as well (like the district bank or the military academy), but they still require more than one of their related building before you're able to construct those "better buildings".
Well, did you do this knowingly (to make the OCC even more challenging perhaps) or is it just a kind of "bug" in your mod?

And just while writing the text above, another question started running through my head: Is it really neccesary to destroy the improvement on a piece of terrain in order to terraform it? If it is a square with a farm or a mine on it you can rebuild it shortly afterwards, but if there's a town on it, you have to build a cottage on the new (terraformed) terrain and it would take a lot of turns before it would grow back to a town (even with emanzipation). I don't know anything about the abilities of phyton, so i'm just asking if there is no other way.

Anyway, great mod, Mylon, keep up the good work. :)
The only thing I'd like to see in a future version would be more civics, but i'll leave that up to you. *bows down deeply* ;)

Top Bottom