• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[Mod] Mylon Mod - New Culture Model, Terraforming, and more!

Sorry, but could you make the download link more obvious? It's easy to miss in the deluge of text. ¬¬;

When I load the mod, I get a Python error on CvEventinterface. What should I do about it?

charleswatkins said:
When I load the mod, I get a Python error on CvEventinterface. What should I do about it?

My laziness has gotten the better of me. I'll have to release a 0.34b. Or repost 0.33.

Its very good mod but i doesn't wokt now with path 1.61...How to return to ver1.52??I'm waiting for update of this mod..very good work Mylon!!

It seems to me that the combat system right now works fine, even if it is a bit strange. Your changes to the basic economy of Civ are more interesting to me.

Regarding diplomacy, perhaps there could be happiness penalties and bonuses based on your culture percentages. For example, if a city was 20% Aztec, and the player had -5 relations with Monty, there might be a couple of extra angry-faces in the city because of that.

I guess it might work the other way, too, so having a 40% English city and +3 relations with Liz could give you a few happy faces. This might not be so necessary, though.

In any case, it would make diplomacy more complex, which would be a good thing, in my opinion.

So far, excellent work on the Mod. I say keep it with your name, as you are the one that made it, and you deserve it. If you're running low on ideas at the moment, maybe just fixing balance issues would be a good idea until a few new ideas come to you. Good luck, and good work! :D

I'm glad to see some people enjoyed my mod after I had gotten frustrated with it all and left for a while. I think my mod was a failure (from a design perspective) due to a lack of a clear vision. I had a good idea of what I was doing when I started, but I got lost on the way.

I've been playing a certain MoO3 mod (Tropical flavor, if anyone's curious), and it has been inspiring me to pick back up Civ4 modding, though starting (mostly) from scratch with a clearer vision. Replacing the economy with a GDP model which is taxed, replacing (most) buildings with a more abstract concept of infrastructure, and modding the AI to accept these changes.

I am also tempted to break resources down into discrete units that are "harvested" from their source point and then dispersed in the same way that my old mod distributed culture, but that leads down a dark path where I could easily get lost again.

Sounds cool Mylon. Nice to see you back :). You should talk to TheLopez about his Dynamic Resources Mod.

Mylon said:
I'm glad to see some people enjoyed my mod after I had gotten frustrated with it all and left for a while. I think my mod was a failure (from a design perspective) due to a lack of a clear vision. I had a good idea of what I was doing when I started, but I got lost on the way.

I've been playing a certain MoO3 mod (Tropical flavor, if anyone's curious), and it has been inspiring me to pick back up Civ4 modding, though starting (mostly) from scratch with a clearer vision. Replacing the economy with a GDP model which is taxed, replacing (most) buildings with a more abstract concept of infrastructure, and modding the AI to accept these changes.

I am also tempted to break resources down into discrete units that are "harvested" from their source point and then dispersed in the same way that my old mod distributed culture, but that leads down a dark path where I could easily get lost again.

It's nice to hear you are back. Are you working on a vanilla Civ mod or are you upgrading it to Warlord?
I used to play your mod, and I enjoyed it.

I haven't heard anything spectacular about Warlords... Depending on feasability I'll probably develop it for vanilla and convert it to Warlords later and maintain two versions, with the emphasis on Vanilla.

The question, however, is with the resouces mod practically already done (at least, the mod component that would power most of it), it is tempting to try and make it early-Settler's/Anno 1603-like instead of MoO3-like.

Well, some time after I'm back. I'm contemplating whether to resurrect my mod or not. There's definitely a lot of buildings I would like to keep, but I'm thinking that the culture mod is a little over the top and overcomplicated. Even though I could use the SDK to fix the issues with my previous kludge of a culture system.

Oh yes, and I would be incorporating my work from my expanded cities mod component, so higher culture levels yields a larger city radius.

The idea of spreading culture is cool, but it can only be means to an end. Right now, the only end of culture (besides attaching a gamey victory condition to it) is border expansion. Messing with border expansion may make things unnecessarily complicated.

It was a neat experiment, but without more, there's really not much point in having culture spread between cities.

I'm definitely interested in seeing you continue your work!

Well, the basic idea of my original mod's culture model was to remove the cultural victory. Rather, this would be a natural consequence of a really strong culture taking over cities using their "bleeding" reach and slipping in through trade. Since cities would be able to affect more than what they can merely reach with their borders, a player could in theory take over an entire civilization fairly quickly rather than taking two cities and then having to start from scratch converting the next "layer" in culturally.

Heck, now that I think about it, maybe I should stick with it. :) The trick is I will have to rethink how it's done. I can use the SDK to make city flipping checks occur all of the time (instead of merely when one city is in the borders of another) and finding a way to get the interface to display the proper amount of culture produced. Maybe even show different colored notes for different civs. Like if you build a temple for someone else's religion, you'll generate 1 note for your own civ and 2 for theirs.

That makes sense to me. It's important that you think these things through ahead of time. If the culture-spreading model is supposed to improve the way conquest is done, then it should be sculpted with that in mind.

I hope you do pick this mod back up!

is this compatible with Civ 4: BtS?

This mod is only compatable with a version 154 of vanilla, I believe. I'm going to get my hands on BtS, make a fun mod using the space graphics as a kind of "Break" to get the creative juices flowing again, and then I'll work on converting this mod to BtS and incoporating the expanded city radius mod I made recently.

I added a basic to do list up top. The [?] points on the list I'm undecided on and would like some input. Additionally, I'm a little torn about the prospect of the unofficial patch at the moment. The 3.03 still isn't good enough and I'm not sure how difficult it would be to maintain a modded DLL with a game that's continuing to be updated.

Espionage needs a lot of attention. But I'm not really sure what the answer is. There's already too many espionage missions of questionable usefulness. On the flip side, some of the missions feel way too powerful, frequent, and gamey. I don't think more missions is the answer.

Here's what I'd propose: fewer regular missions. Migrate some missions to the great spy as special, rare missions (like throwing a nation into anarchy). Even invent new cool missions that are great spy only, so they are interesting but rare.

Multiplicative math is also pretty dangerous. Things could get out of control really fast. If the late game buildings aren't worthwhile enough, you should just flat out increase their bonus rather than changing the whole bonus system.

Top Bottom