[MOD] NEW BALANCE for Warlords (was slower tech + other changes mod)

=DOCTOR= said:
Neat! How did you do these? Are these simple changes to do?

Those were relatively simple... in the xml file at the highest folder level (I forget its name at the moment) there are places you can mod how long the messages pop up for.

The walls thing is in another xml. Basically not too tough, just a LOT of little tweaks located in a lot of different files, so it adds up to a bit of work. :scan:

Dearmad said:
Only the slower tech part = use just the gamespeed.xml that is included.

That's about the easiest way to do that.

Ive found this one inside XML\Gameinfo : CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml , do you mean this? Anyway I dont know how to use it independently from the mod... Sry I have no idea about modding, If you could help a bit more :mischief:

Hmmm not much new here since life has pulled me away from Civ4. lol. I did manage to play with the newest release a few nites back & got some feedback....

New Balance seems to slow as far as techs are concerned, 1990's me & the major world powers were researching WWI & WWII era techs, flight, etc.

Marathon was a little more enjoyable to me but to fast early 1800's me & the other highest advanced civs were researching early 1990-1950's techs & one civ ( the Mali lol ) was extremely advanced seemed to be 125-150 years far ahead. One thing i do point out tho that altho the tech may of been avaible at say 1850, it took at the very least 15-20 turns in my most productive city 2 build a unit ( Destroyer, Infantry, Sam Infantry, Tank etc. ) & about 50 or more turns for the wonders to finish, the UN, Manhattan Project etc., so it somewhat balances out in the long run I guess.

After playing on both thoroughly Im convinced that Epic will be the PERFECT speed for this mod if any1 cares & I hope it saves some time.

Keep in mind that I play 18 civs on a 160x120 ( something like that ) map using SmartMap & the original resources on noble diffculty, I doubt ne of that it will make much difference tho.

Neways, any news on the mod Dearmad? Also if u didnt know ( just found out myself ) the patch for warlords was released 10/31.

Hello

Does anybody know is this mod compatible with new warlords patch?

Hey everybody:

In my last game I noticed something peculiar about the Serfdom civic. While Serfdom in CivicsInfo is set to -20 Improvement Upgrade, in game none of my cottages, hamlets, or villages grew AT ALL. They all just froze at whatever "Turns to x" they were at before I switched civics. Has anyone else encountered this?

Sadly, I didn't notice this until I'd had Serfdom for many centuries, and suddenly I thought WTF? All those cottages I built hundreds of years ago are still cottages! Ouch! :mad: Then I checked after each end turn, and, sure enough, no change in the upgrade time.

If this xml tag is broken when the bonus is negative, I think I'll switch Serfdom to give a -1 penalty to commerce for urban improvements instead, though I really, really like the penalty to urban GROWTH rather than urban TRADE, since towns were very active trading centers in the middle ages.

P.S. If anyone's interested (I think I saw someone post something a little while ago about this), I've merged this mod with Revolution .72w, Enhanced Tech Conquest, Enhanced Culture Decay, and incorporated a lot of Medmod V's unit combat stats, as well as a number of smaller mods for my personal preferences and balance tweaking (especially incorporating some of Armandeus' ideas from his old Balanced Civics). Perhaps I should wait until after everything is 2.08 patch kosher ... (whew, what a lot of work that will be ...)

Played a game on epic until about 1750's & everything seemed fine w/ the new patch. Im not an expert & dont get in2 code or nething but as far as gameplay & the timeline being accurate etc & all, looks like there isnt any conflict.

Hephaistion

Your modifications sound interesting. Im interested gettings those. Could you please post those at civfanatics. Maybe you can keep this mod alive.

Quick Question, I was looking for THIS mod (used to use it before I had to reinstall my OS) and it brought me here. I sent a PM to Dearmad already, but thought it'd be easier just to post it here. I don't have Warlords, but would like to use the Civics portion. I could be wrong, and it could actually be a different mod, but judging by the screenshot, it certainly looks like the one I had.

Dropping it in place of the original doesn't work, so perhaps there's more to it?

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Mikkeman said:
Hephaistion

Your modifications sound interesting. Im interested gettings those. Could you please post those at civfanatics. Maybe you can keep this mod alive.

Thank you for your interest -- I'm going to make a few more tweaks and then I'll see about uploading! I just integrated the Enhanced Foreign and Military Advisors and have a few more little things to do ...

Heph

Hey Everyone:

I thought that there might be some interest in this, as HephMod is based to a large extent on Dearmad's NewBalance.

For Warlords 2.0 (not tested for 2.08)

This mod, like most, is designed to enhance the Civ4 experience across the board with a great variety of gameplay changes. Many changes were also incorporated to enhance historical realism and bring some of the dynamic, vivid feel of history to the game experience. In the end, many of these changes come down to my own dissatisfactions with the game -- moments when playing the game I said to myself, "What? Why would they do that?" ("they" being the game designers), and almost all of the solutions are ported from or at least based on other mods. Many thanks to everyone whose code and ideas I've used, especially Dearmad, Armandeus, jdog5000, the Lopez, and WesW.

This mod is based on Dearmad's New Balance mod -- it uses this mod and its files as the skeleton on top of which all these other changes are made. I've incorporated several other mods more or less wholesale, though some of the config files for configurable mods have been tweaked according to my preferences from playtesting (these can easily be changed by other users in the HephMod config file). Other mods incorporated include jdog5000's Revolution mod, TheLopez's updates of SupremeOverlord's Enhanced Foreign
and Enhanced Military Advisor mods, the Lopez' Enhanced Tech Conquest, a modified form of the unit stats from WesW's Medievial Mod V, and a Civics schema that is a blending of Dearmad's, Armandeus', and my own
ideas.

No new units, buildings, or civs are added in this mod. This mod only seeks to deepen the experience of the vanilla game, and while the creativity and work that goes into multiplying units, buildings, etc., in the game is admirable, I've always preferred a more straightforward and balanced strategy game experience. More is not always better.

Please post with any bugs/oversights/suggestions.

HephMod thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=192879

Enjoy!

Download: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=3628

Hi everybody! This mod is compatible with teh new warlord's patch 2.08?
Thank you.

v3.2 is up.

Adding in Unitstats appeared to have caused a consistent CTD in the industrial ages... so it had to be removed. Sorry. This DOES leave open the possibility now of using the Improved AI with this mod, however, since no gamecore.dll is used anymore. So that is good.

Sorry for any games this ruined.

Hi Dearmad

Have you considered adding Ranged Bombardment mod component? It would add more playability and realism to civ.

Mikkeman

I have considered it. And as popular as a lot of Dale's mods are here, I don't find any of his changes compelling enough to want to add them. While many might consider it overly "gamey" the way that bombard units work now in CIV IV, I find them balanced well for a *game*. The need to slightly commit a bombard unit if you use it makes it more balanced and fun, IMO. Otherwise they get buried under stacks of protecting units and become, well, far too much something that favors the human player- the AI just can't handle them right then at all. A unit that can attack without any commitment or risk doesn't play out well, IMO.

@Dearmad

I`m playing with your mod for several months now and just want to thank you for the great work you did.

There are some little things what I find what could may be edited:

Should cavalry not also require the technology "rifling", so that they can only be build together with grenadiers and rifleman?

Several times now the AI researched quick for cavalry and they became to outbalanced strong and overrun others.

Also since the beginning I start playing Civ 4 I found it strange, that for example a swordsman or a knight requires iron, but a battleship or tank not.

How do you think about it?

O.K. It`s just an suggest. You decide if you see it different.

Thank you again for your great work.

@Dearmad

I`m playing with your mod for several months now and just want to thank you for the great work you did.

There are some little things what I find what could may be edited:

Should cavalry not also require the technology "rifling", so that they can only be build together with grenadiers and rifleman?

Several times now the AI researched quick for cavalry and they became to outbalanced strong and overrun others.

Also since the beginning I start playing Civ 4 I found it strange, that for example a swordsman or a knight requires iron, but a battleship or tank not.

How do you think about it?

O.K. It`s just an suggest. You decide if you see it different.

Thank you again for your great work.

Sorry for such a late reply. Good ideas and noted problems. I'll take a look at them.

Thanks

Riflemen (closed ranked, disciplined muskets with bayonets) were a reaction to cavalry (curraised horse using sabers & pistols ala napoleonic wars), and I believe it appropriate that cavalry have the option (via the tech) to appear before riflemen. American Civil War cavalry were usually used as dragoons (dismounted to fight if up against any opposition).

Iron/steel requirements early on represent not having the technology to access iron most anywhere. Advance in tech enables greater access to iron ... don't know that even knights or cannons should require it.

Top Bottom