1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD]: New Traits and Leaders for RiFE

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by 25Hour, Apr 14, 2010.

1. BiffQJ

BiffQJ Warlord

Hi there. So I like the new leaders, but there's a small bug (at least I think it's a bug). Unique features (Pyre of Seraphic, Odio's Prison, etc.) aren't labeled and the mana tally on the left side doesn't show up. Neither is a huge deal (except for confusion between Foxford and a regular tribal village), but I just thought I should let you know. Thanks.

2. 25Hour

25Hour Some sort of lemur

Odd. I'm not getting the bug with the mana tally, but I am noticing the missing terrain labels. Honestly, I'm not sure what might be causing that-- issue with the main mod, maybe? 0_o

3. cvx

cvx Warlord

Change the botanist code in the method 'onImprovementBuild' to:
    Code:
    iPlayer = pPlot.getOwner()
    if iPlayer != -1:
    	pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer)
    	if pPlayer.hasTrait(gc.getInfoTypeForString('TRAIT_BOTANIST')):
    		###Militia Start ###
    		plant = gc.getInfoTypeForString( 'UNIT_MALIGNANT_FLORA2' )
    		pNewUnit = pPlayer.initUnit( plant, iX, iY, UnitAITypes.UNITAI_RESERVE, DirectionTypes.NO_DIRECTION )
    That should do the trick for the labels.

4. cvx

cvx Warlord

There also seems to be a problem with the 'Urban' trait but i don't know why that happens:

My capital city has 503 culture and should have the 'Center of Culture' and it has. My secondary city is shown on the image and has it as well.

Edit: Since the city reached 150 culture the correct building is present.

Edit2: Ye i actually spotted the problem: the 'iNewBuilding' variable has the value of the previous iteration if it isn't overwritten by the correct value which only happens if the culture is >= 150. Should be quite easy to fix.

5. Evalis

Evalis Prince

So let me get this straight, the new calabim world spell steals 3 population plus an additional 3 at feudalism and fanaticism? So 9 population every 100 turns? And you don't see anything broken with this? Large cities can often take 100 turns to build up that much population. That's like a repeatable plague. On everyone but you.. Not to mention tons of vampire munchies. The march of trees thing is insane as well. That world spell is very powerful, to be able to use it multiple times without the loss of economy is plain rediculous. There is absolutely no reason not to use that every 100 turns to utterly obliterate whoever is next to you. Nothing can stop the forest army of doom at the time you can cast it.

6. Evalis

Evalis Prince

FYI, don't even think about making the jotnar or the grigori world spells repeatable.. I will have to hunt you down and break your windows.

7. isthmus

isthmus Warlord

Yeah some of the paragon worldspells are a little too good to be repeatable. My advice is that the powerful worldspells will have to be adapted or nerfed with the paragon leaders, but the weaker ones should definitely get the enhancement (like the kuriotates spell, it needed that little bit extra)

Maybe have all treants spawned from march of the trees start with weak, enraged or some other similar limiting promotion, maybe one that keeps them inside friendly borders, or has a chance of making the treant immobile.

The calabim paragon spell could start off weaker than the original spell and eventually get better, but the ability to repeat it is the advantage in itself, I don't think it needs an enhancement really.

I imagine 25Hour's just gone for interesting trait ideas in making these leaders, balance hasn't been considered as you'd expect but that requires playtesting to really iron that one out.

8. Evalis

Evalis Prince

I'd rather just see some of the worldspells recieve an enhancement (like the kuriotates) then to make leaders specifically designed to use them. Especially the ones that are already fine the way they are. Some of these balance issues don't require playtesting to recognize.

9. SeraphimsChoir

SeraphimsChoir Chieftain

Since installing this mod, Rife has been running rather slowly for me. It could just be a coincidence but is there anyway to remove it that doesn't involve just deleting rife and installing it again?

10. cvx

cvx Warlord

If you just replaced the original files with this mod then I'm afraid you have to reinstall it.

11. 25Hour

It depends on if you made a copy of the Assets file-- if you did, just delete the current one and rename your copy "Assets". Otherwise, I'm afraid you have to reinstall the mod. :( Although I'm not sure why the mod would be running unusually slowly for you, unless you mean in the "Long waits between turns" sense (in which case the Urbane/Manipulative traits are probably a large part of the problem.)

Yeah, my design philosophy is to start with overpowered and work backwards. The hope is that in the end, these traits will end up being as powerful as Financial is now.

You may be correct about the Calabim-- I'll tone the Feudalism and Fanaticism back to a 2 pop bonus for each, for a late game total of 7 pop. Mind that in the late game, a temporary change of 3 pop per city is of questionable value; for you, because you tend to run cities at the happy cap anyway (making it only useful for vampiric consumption). So a lot of its utility is in the hindrance it forces on your opponents. Keep in mind this has to keep up in strength with the Financial economy.

As for the March of the Trees, keep in mind that you have to be able to actually reach the enemy cities within the 5-turn time limit, which most of your treants won't be able to do (the Mobility was an oversight; it's removed in the current version.) On the other hand, I could also reduce their timer to 3 turns for Paragon leaders, rather than 5-- this should compensate for the increased move rate afforded by them keeping their forests.

Hmm... alternatively, I could make these two leaders Minor rather than Emergent. That would mean their abilities would have to account for two traits, rather than just the current 1-1.5. Thoughts?

Yeah, I'm thinking the next one will be Illians. Enjoy that. ;)

Eeeexcellent. That'll be fixed in the next version, as will the Botanist code (thanks for that fix, btw-- I would not have thought to look there for the problem!) Think I'll start keeping a "To Do" list in the original post.

12. Evalis

Evalis Prince

20 turns of not being able to do anything every 100 turns.. riiight.. I can see myself restarting if that leader shows up. Seriously balancing everything to financial is a lost cause. There are lots of traits that are simply better than others. And they mean more depending on the hands of what leader they are in. An example of this would be the bannor. I'll take charismatic over financial with them - getting those early level 10 and 20 captains is huge. Assraping everyone for 7 population is definately better than financial in my opinion. So far, lots of these leaders are game restarters.. the lanun world spell more powerful and multiple times.. good bye all coastal cities. Treants running over your all your cities.. oy. There's 'extra research' vs 'stomp all your opponents instantly'.

13. 25Hour

I should clarify I was joking about the Illian. :lol:

14. 25Hour

Hmm... yeah, I'm taking your suggestion re: the treants. They now have "reluctant invader," giving them -90% to city attack, so they really are purely a defensive measure at this point. As for the Calabim worldspell, at first I thought swinging for 3 each time would be enough, but it occurred to me that's not much in the late game when cities tend towards much higher population values. (And recall that Fanaticism and Feudalism are both fairly expensive techs, so swinging for 7 is a late-game proposition.) Although I suppose I could still move the worldspell-enhancing techs further up the tech tree.

15. isthmus

isthmus Warlord

I like this idea for the treants, although they're still a bit devastating to any army that happens to be caught outside of a city. I'd be in favour of a promotion that takes away attack strength outside of borders, in a similar way to what the elohim units have.

I agree that 7 pop at a time is a bit crazy for a repeatable spell though. It effectively nukes any growing cities which is a bit of a pain. I'd be happy with a progression from 2 to 3 (possibly 4) with fanaticism. Feudalism might be an expensive tech but a calabim leader will be beelining for it because that's when they get vampires. Losing 4 pop isn't a massive hit on all your cities, just an annoyance and it's a handy XP bonus every 100 turns for the calabim. I wouldn't make it any more dangerous than that.

16. 25Hour

Eh, that's a fair point about growing cities-- I was mostly thinking of larger ones when I built that trait. In that case, I think I'll go with what you suggest, and keep Vactis as an Emergent leader.

As for the treants, I'll just decrease their duration a bit-- 3 turns, rather than 5. Still useful on the defense, but attempting to stage an attack on someone else with them would be quite problematic. You could do it, but it wouldn't be as effective, and it really would just be the first strike-- advantageous, but not overwhelming or impossible to defend against. I'm definitely going to have that leader be Minor, though. ::lol: Quite enough without him gaining new traits.

17. isthmus

isthmus Warlord

I like that idea for the treant leader, makes them more defensive and it balances out the fact that there will be more turns of treanty destruction because the worldspell is repeatable.

18. 25Hour

Hey, a question for anybody who can help:

I notice that the function I use to set buildings looks like it has the potential to set more than one of a certain type-- "setnumrealbuildings" is the one I'm referring to. Does this mean that I can set a city to have two markets? Would the effects stack, if so? This sounds like a neat way to get gradient effects, if it works like it sounds it does.

Also-- in actual modding news, I've gotten the next set of leaders more-or-less lined up, along with assorted bug and balance fixes-- I just have to test things out, put the files together, and get a release out, probably in the next day or two.

Last thing: Does anybody have any ideas for unique Chislev or Jotnar leader traits? I never really played them much, so I'm drawing blanks, and was wondering if those folks who actually play them could give me some ideas.

19. Opera

Opera Deity

I have to say that I like both Rizuruk and Liquis... :)

20. Celeborn

Celeborn Silver-Death

Hey now... There's no order there.

Could even say these dwarves are getting a bit chaotic...