[MOD]: New Traits and Leaders for RiFE

New version of the module has been posted! Leaders and bugfixes and balance changes abound.

Glad someone else thinks the Lanun should have more Shadows over Innsmouth flavour and less.. Rum.. pirate... Captain Jack Sparrow!

Hey, just leaving a bit of feedback on the new version..
Before I go on about the leaders, I'll say that I like the changes you made to the old traits, they definitely seem more useful now, especially arcane with the adept build boost. Are they balanced? Who knowsss.... (Expansionist has a bit too much happy methinks though)

On to the Leaders..I like the flavour of the new guys, especially the new balseraphs (how many of them are there now? It does suit them to have lots though :)) but the tempermental leader requires a bit too much timing to get the right trait for when you want to invade. 30 turns is a long time in the mid-late game. Not sure what to suggest instead though. It would be cool if he was paragon as well and the different temperments granted different variations on the worldspell. Bit much for one leader?

The new mechanos and austrin leaders I had quite a bit of fun playing around with as well, and the new Illian leader seems pretty cool although I havn't got round to playing as her yet. Shame you have to wait until philosophy to get the power citizens :)

Also was playing around more with arcane acadamy guy, it's a shame he's only limited to only a few 'good' civs. Maybe he could have a rival of some sorts for the evil civs? Sort of gives a reason why he's a wanderer, going from civ to civ if those two are always going after one another, they'll find a civ with (hopefully) the potential to help them defeat their counterpart.

On a side note, I think you've left in a partially finished leader into the latest version, the unique building, trait and leader themself is there in the pedia but they don't have a civ assigned yet.
Thanks again for the new leaders! :goodjob:

Get a CtD on loading the mod every time with this installed. Dunno where the logs are, but I'll post if I find them.

On to the Leaders..I like the flavour of the new guys, especially the new balseraphs (how many of them are there now? It does suit them to have lots though :)) but the tempermental leader requires a bit too much timing to get the right trait for when you want to invade. 30 turns is a long time in the mid-late game. Not sure what to suggest instead though. It would be cool if he was paragon as well and the different temperments granted different variations on the worldspell. Bit much for one leader?

Hmm... i don't think the Balseraphs are going to get a Paragon, primarily because it'd I suspect a bunch of free Golden Ages would be a bit much for the Balseraphs, and the timing required to get the right trait when you need it was definitely what I had in mind for that leader. Remember also that the traits have a set rotation, which means ideally you'd be able to arrive at the enemy's doorstep right when you're becoming Sanguine.

Also was playing around more with arcane acadamy guy, it's a shame he's only limited to only a few 'good' civs. Maybe he could have a rival of some sorts for the evil civs? Sort of gives a reason why he's a wanderer, going from civ to civ if those two are always going after one another, they'll find a civ with (hopefully) the potential to help them defeat their counterpart.

I might do that, actually. I have just the portrait, too!

On a side note, I think you've left in a partially finished leader into the latest version, the unique building, trait and leader themself is there in the pedia but they don't have a civ assigned yet.

Yes... yes I have. :mischief: I got finished with her a little while ago, but wasn't entirely satisfied with the result, so I removed her from the playable leaders list. She's going to be getting a reworking for the next update.

Get a CtD on loading the mod every time with this installed. Dunno where the logs are, but I'll post if I find them.

Just to be certain-- you've got the Trade patch installed for RiFE, right?

I'm eagerly awaiting your addition of a new Calabim leader

"Sparkly."

That is all. :crazyeye:

Hmm... i don't think the Balseraphs are going to get a Paragon, primarily because it'd I suspect a bunch of free Golden Ages would be a bit much for the Balseraphs, and the timing required to get the right trait when you need it was definitely what I had in mind for that leader. Remember also that the traits have a set rotation, which means ideally you'd be able to arrive at the enemy's doorstep right when you're becoming Sanguine.
Well I was sort of coining the idea of having his own set of worldspells that were repeated, but wouldn't be golden ages - they'd be different depending on the temperment he's in, and you'd get a chance to use all of them or just wait for 4 of the same one (or whatever combination) by the end of the game.
Well I think I wouldn't mind waiting but if you've just missed a temperment stage then you have to wait like 90 turns until you get back to it, and that's aaaages :cry:

"Sparkly."

That is all. :crazyeye:
Oh dear god.:crazyeye:

Well I was sort of coining the idea of having his own set of worldspells that were repeated, but wouldn't be golden ages - they'd be different depending on the temperment he's in, and you'd get a chance to use all of them or just wait for 4 of the same one (or whatever combination) by the end of the game.
Well I think I wouldn't mind waiting but if you've just missed a temperment stage then you have to wait like 90 turns until you get back to it, and that's aaaages :cry:

Hmm... would it help if I shortened the cycle time to, say, 80 turns instead of its current 120?

That said, I may take the idea of repeatable worldspells with drastic, randomly changing effects for a different leader-- I'll probably do it with some kind of Eldritch Abomination or astrological flavor. Oh! I wonder if I could get it to key off of those "constellation" events... that might be neat. :D

Hmm... would it help if I shortened the cycle time to, say, 80 turns instead of its current 120?

That said, I may take the idea of repeatable worldspells with drastic, randomly changing effects for a different leader-- I'll probably do it with some kind of Eldritch Abomination or astrological flavor. Oh! I wonder if I could get it to key off of those "constellation" events... that might be neat. :D

So that's 20 turns each right? Doesn't sound too unreasonable, I think. :)

As for the other idea, if it's possible, that would be pretty cool - although I think we see so many constellation events in the early game because the requirements arn't met for other events. They get far less common later on if I recall correctly.

Tried installing this, leaders didn't show in list. Can you tell me the exact folder to install in? (i.e. BTS\Mods\RiFE etc.....)

Tried installing this, leaders didn't show in list. Can you tell me the exact folder to install in? (i.e. BTS\Mods\RiFE etc.....)

Sure! Just install it over the \Assets folder in the \RiFE folder. You should end up overwriting a few files if you do it right-- be sure to make a copy of the Assets folder beforehand, though, in case you want to change it back.

You should maybe make an installer for it... Tutorial is in my sig. ;)

I'd have it install over the top of RifE, rather than copy to a new directory.

Oooh, a tutorial? Yeah, I'll totally make an installer for it. It doesn't take up much room in the file, right? (I'm pushing this site's 10 MB attachment limit as is.)

Oooh, a tutorial? Yeah, I'll totally make an installer for it. It doesn't take up much room in the file, right? (I'm pushing this site's 10 MB attachment limit as is.)

The installer packages it up to about the same size as a zip, so it won't take up any extra room really.

Slated for Next Patch
Evil Adelai--Visionary/Cold-Blooded
Cualli leader--Hierophant
Chislev leader-- Guardian
Amurite/Sheiam leader--Re-Animator
Decreased cycle for the Temperamental ability, and made Choleric more useful.
Toned down Expansive by 1 health.
Kuriotates leader-- Dragon Cultist
Jotnar leader-- Drottkvaoii

Veeeerrry nice :D

Also, a few more ideas if you're still looking for more leaders...
-Mechanos leader who focuses on their divine line - ie the techpriests & friends. Possibly a leader or high ranking member of the Ordo Machinarum himself.
-A narcissistic Dural leader...as a civ, they're all about what they create, this leader takes it further. Everything he/she does and studies for is to further their own image, because that's the only thing important to him/her.
-Luchuirp leader who has discovered how to create golems that learn (or simulate learning).. Unfortunately they don't learn all that well, and are prone to breaking down due to knowledge overload. A good repairer is required at all times to help out these prototype golems. Effectively means that his golems can gain promotions, but they gain XP slower, and occasionally gain a promotion that gives -x% strength, which can be removed with the repair spell.
-A calabim/grigori leader. Basically a vampire that has infiltrated the grigori civ, but obviously keeps his hunger secret. Has access to the vampire promotion at feudalism, possibly through a building that allows purchase of the promotion. Obviously spreading vampirism spell would have to be blocked.

Veeeerrry nice :D

Also, a few more ideas if you're still looking for more leaders...
-Mechanos leader who focuses on their divine line - ie the techpriests & friends. Possibly a leader or high ranking member of the Ordo Machinarum himself.
-A narcissistic Dural leader...as a civ, they're all about what they create, this leader takes it further. Everything he/she does and studies for is to further their own image, because that's the only thing important to him/her.
-Luchuirp leader who has discovered how to create golems that learn (or simulate learning).. Unfortunately they don't learn all that well, and are prone to breaking down due to knowledge overload. A good repairer is required at all times to help out these prototype golems. Effectively means that his golems can gain promotions, but they gain XP slower, and occasionally gain a promotion that gives -x% strength, which can be removed with the repair spell.
-A calabim/grigori leader. Basically a vampire that has infiltrated the grigori civ, but obviously keeps his hunger secret. Has access to the vampire promotion at feudalism, possibly through a building that allows purchase of the promotion. Obviously spreading vampirism spell would have to be blocked.

In no particular order!

Luchuirp leader: Learning golems might be cool, though I don't want to make it in terms of XP, since the golems' whole shtick involves not earning XP/buying promotions with XP. Maybe having stackable promotions given for fighting in particular terrain? Like, you fight in a forest, that unit gets progressively stronger fighting in forests. I think I could probably finagle that, and it might end up being pretty neat. :D Actually, I think that's going to be in... not this patch, since I've pretty nearly got it ready for posting (later tonight, I think), but definitely the next one.

As for the narcissistic leader, I'm not sure how I'd represent that idea mechanically. Suggestions?

As for the Calabim/Grigori leader, I'd be too worried about diluting the Calabim's uniqueness in terms of mechanics, and without adding those to the leader, I feel like the Vampiric promotion somewhat loses its luster.

I'll probably do that thing with the Mechanos leader. Just thinking about what bonuses to give the techpriests...

--------------------------
Oh! In unrelated news, I now have an honest-to-God installer up on the first post. Makes things a bit easier, I hope. :D Many thanks to Valk for the tutorial on how to build one of those.

Top Bottom