[MOD]: New Traits and Leaders for RiFE

_ExCeLlEnT_

Yes... He will be interesting. Was planned for a Major leader, but with the new leader design (coming in 1.4, but already being worked on by the rest of the team), he'll end up Emergent.

He will at some point in the game gain Fallow, and begin converting his population/units to half-machine hybrids.... Should be fun. ;)

Hey, just noticed that you hadn't added a description of Marchosias in the first post, was this intended?

Hey, just noticed that you hadn't added a description of Marchosias in the first post, was this intended?

Oh yeah, forgot about him. I figured that I'd couple an awesome upside (SO MANY ENGINEERS over the course of a game) with a severe downside (only 3 or so cities for a civ not built with that mechanic in mind.) Ideally this will combine to create some approximation of balance.

I'll throw this up on the main post sometime soon.

Oh yeah, forgot about him. I figured that I'd couple an awesome upside (SO MANY ENGINEERS over the course of a game) with a severe downside (only 3 or so cities for a civ not built with that mechanic in mind.) Ideally this will combine to create some approximation of balance.

I'll throw this up on the main post sometime soon.

Yeah, playing as him definitely put a different twist on things, sprawling self-balances the repeated worldspell, that's a very unique bit of thinking there :goodjob: might be a bit too powerful but then again, I did start off in a very good position in the test game..

If anything, I'm interested in the lore reasoning behind the combination of the traits :)

Yeah, playing as him definitely put a different twist on things, sprawling self-balances the repeated worldspell, that's a very unique bit of thinking there :goodjob: might be a bit too powerful but then again, I did start off in a very good position in the test game..

If anything, I'm interested in the lore reasoning behind the combination of the traits :)

Hmm... think he might be more balanced as a Minor leader, rather than Emergent?

Re: the lore, I'm still mulling that over. I'm thinking of him as a crazed, obsessive architect, who only puts any effort into a few prized cities, leaving the rest of the countryside underdeveloped and neglected. Still, his particular brand of engineering genius makes him particularly blessed by Nantosueltia, and beloved by his engineers.

First off: I love your installation instructions. :p

Second... How many leaders have you added at this point? Are you preparing for the changes to leaders in 1.4 (which you should know about :p), or no? If not, you're going to absolutely hate that patch. :p

Hmm.... well, okay, so as I see it I can't really do any work on the leaders 1.4 version until the code's actually implemented in FFH. (Or at least, it'd be a lot of hassle, especially if things end up changing in the XML for the final version, which would obsolete my work.) Basically, when 1.4 comes out I'm going to make some very basic, easy changes to make all the leaders playable and balanced in that version, then I'm going to be redoing the leaders based on that patch, releasing incrementally (as is my wont) to make the style gradually line up with what you had in mind for that version.

Sorry if it's vague, I just don't want to give things away. :D

EDIT: Also, I DO have some ideas for a few of the leaders for the new version... some of them I'm not so sure about, but I've got a while, I imagine. XD

All I meant was plans, not actual code. ;)

You've seen the way Emergent leaders will work, and the vast majority of your leaders would fall under Emergent. It's a rather massive redesign, for each and every leader you have. Which is why Opera is working on 1.4 already. :p

Incremental changes would barely work... Mostly because the mechanic is awesome enough that a leader that doesn't make use of it, but is still Emergent, would be radically gimped. Suppose you could make them Minor for a while, though.

As for when it'll be... Honestly, I'd say around a month after 1.3. No longer. The mechanic itself is coded, just not merged, and the majority of the design work is done. ;)

All I meant was plans, not actual code. ;)

You've seen the way Emergent leaders will work, and the vast majority of your leaders would fall under Emergent. It's a rather massive redesign, for each and every leader you have. Which is why Opera is working on 1.4 already. :p

Incremental changes would barely work... Mostly because the mechanic is awesome enough that a leader that doesn't make use of it, but is still Emergent, would be radically gimped. Suppose you could make them Minor for a while, though.

As for when it'll be... Honestly, I'd say around a month after 1.3. No longer. The mechanic itself is coded, just not merged, and the majority of the design work is done. ;)

I was pretty much planning to turn all the leaders Minor and release the patch like that (the easy change I was referring to), and then change them from there to Emergent patch-by-patch as ideas come to me for how to do so.

I look forward to the 1.4 patch. :D

Hey, unrelated question: If two traits grant the same promotion to melee units, and the promotion itself is stackable, does that grant the unit the promotion twice?

I was pretty much planning to turn all the leaders Minor and release the patch like that (the easy change I was referring to), and then change them from there to Emergent patch-by-patch as ideas come to me for how to do so.

I look forward to the 1.4 patch. :D

Hey, unrelated question: If two traits grant the same promotion to melee units, and the promotion itself is stackable, does that grant the unit the promotion twice?

Yeah, that's probably the way I'd do it. Was going to say there'd be balance issues, but the new minor will be fairly close to the current emergent, so nothing too bad. Other than the fact that your leaders would have unique traits, which Minor leaders do not have. :p So just inconsistencies with the design, no real issues. As the only alternatives would be to redo them all at once, or bring the mod back down in scale and readd leaders as you get to them, I think it's something that could be lived with for a while. ;)

I have no idea. Interesting question... Should be easy to test out. Stack promotions have an overlay on them, telling you how many you have, so as long as the promo isn't invisible (which it shouldn't be while testing. :p), it should take like 3 minutes to find out.

Yeah, that's probably the way I'd do it. Was going to say there'd be balance issues, but the new minor will be fairly close to the current emergent, so nothing too bad. Other than the fact that your leaders would have unique traits, which Minor leaders do not have. :p So just inconsistencies with the design, no real issues. As the only alternatives would be to redo them all at once, or bring the mod back down in scale and readd leaders as you get to them, I think it's something that could be lived with for a while. ;).

Is there any reason other than the aesthetic why you don't want Minors with unique traits? I feel like some of the current leaders I've got would actually work better using that mechanic than with tailored Emergencies.

I have no idea. Interesting question... Should be easy to test out. Stack promotions have an overlay on them, telling you how many you have, so as long as the promo isn't invisible (which it shouldn't be while testing. :p), it should take like 3 minutes to find out.

Heh, probably. The question just occurred to me as I was writing that, so I figured I'd see if there was an obvious answer. :lol: I'll check it out.

Is there any reason other than the aesthetic why you don't want Minors with unique traits? I feel like some of the current leaders I've got would actually work better using that mechanic than with tailored Emergencies.

I just want to clearly differentiate the different leader types. All three will have very different mechanics... The whole 'unique trait' thing is part of the Emergent mechanic.

So really, aesthetics and making it understandable to new players. Modmods are free to break from that limitation, as it IS artificial; It's just something I'm going to maintain for the main mod.

Heh, probably. The question just occurred to me as I was writing that, so I figured I'd see if there was an obvious answer. :lol: I'll check it out.

Yeah, I'd have asked first too honestly. I just really have no idea. :lol:

I just want to clearly differentiate the different leader types. All three will have very different mechanics... The whole 'unique trait' thing is part of the Emergent mechanic.

So really, aesthetics and making it understandable to new players. Modmods are free to break from that limitation, as it IS artificial; It's just something I'm going to maintain for the main mod.

That's fair-- RiFE is crazy enough that new-player-friendliness is probably a very good thing. :lol:

Download the exe and run it. Changing it's location to where you've installed RifE if it does not do so auto-magically.

lol...auto-magically. Anyway is that the way it works with all mods compatible with Rife? Just install into it's folder and blamo? works? Also would it be installed into it's root folder or would it be in the Mods\Rise from Erebus folder or would it be in a Mods/Rise from Erebus/Mods folder?

lol...auto-magically. Anyway is that the way it works with all mods compatible with Rife? Just install into it's folder and blamo? works? Also would it be installed into it's root folder or would it be in the Mods\Rise from Erebus folder or would it be in a Mods/Rise from Erebus/Mods folder?

As yet, only this particular RifE modmod uses an installer. Believe it installs in the RifE folder, rather than making it's own; Impossible to use a RifE/Mods folder, Civ doesn't support that.

I just realized I've been a member of Civfanatics for over 7 years.

And yet I have a post count that is about 1/20th the size of Valk's...

I feel like I've not been posting enough...

Top Bottom