Mod Proposal - "Voices of CFC" (replacing some of the tech discovery narration)

Octavian X

is not a pipe.
One of the things I thought was really cool about Civ4 was the narration. Leonard Nimoy is an excellent actor, and it was interesting to watch the intro slideshow and listen to those quotes performed on my first game. Even to this day, I still enjoy watching that introduction

Of course, we have to be honest with ourselves - hearing the same voice yelling about pig iron after getting 100 techs into your third game is quite annoying.

So, why don't we inject our own flavoring into the mix? Since one person re-recording all those quotes is a big task (and since it defeats the purpose of getting a new mix-up of voices), we could, as a community, create the recordings. Given this text-based method of communication, CFCers don't get to listen to each other speak very often. This could be a nice oppertunity to get to know and learn more about those people who inhabit the forums. We could even invite some of the more (in)famous CFCers to pitch in - wanna give us a recording, Chieftess? :D - along with perhaps a few Firaxians.

And it's not as though we need to be extremely professional about this - if you've got a basic mike hooked up to your computer, you've got potential as a narrator. :D

One the most basic level as I see it, this would be a simple replacement mod. The reviewed and contributed recordings (we'd double check for accuracy and appropriateness) would replace those found in the Civilization 4\Assets\Sounds\Tech folder. We could then replace the file that has the quotes (I don't know which one - presumably it's XML) to include the name of the narrator. New quotes could be chosen as well, which also would require a new file.

Anyone interested? Or, better yet, anyone ready to contribute? :D

It would be nice to get new quotes, too.
I hated the one for Fusion; it made more sense for Future Tech.
Here's my replacement quote:
"We say that we will put the sun into a box. The idea is pretty. The problem is, we don't know how to make the box." ~Pierre-Gilles de Gennes

An original quote for composites as well ;)

Modern Man is the victim of the very instruments he values most. Every gain in power, every mastery of natural forces, every scientific addition to knowledge, has proved potentially dangerous, because it has not been accompanied by equal gains in self-understanding and self-discipline.
Lewis Mumford

or

But in modern war you will die like a dog for no good reason.
Ernest Hemingway

I love quotes! :D

Here's one of my favorite quotes of all-time, and would be perfect for computers or fibre optics:

"First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we figured out ASCII -- and we thought it was a typewriter. Then we discovered graphics, and we thought it was a televison. With the World Wide Web, we've realized it's a brochure" -- Douglas Adams

Hmm, how about something fun for liberalism, like "I do not agree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say them."

Why limit outselves to ONE voice clip for each tec, as you said that Monotinous, I think it would be rather trivial to make a little python script that randomly chooses one out of a collection of sound files and displays a matching Textual quote. We can just extend the file name with the name of the "voice actor" so their would be TECH_FUSION_MRUNDERHILL.mp3 and a coresponding Text object held someware else. Authors would choose different quotes and voice them to create an expanded library.

Sounds like a pretty nice idea. I can imagine discovering Fission (or whatever tech gives you nukes) and hearing: "Our words our backed by Nuclear Weapons!"
:D

Impaler[WrG] said:
Why limit outselves to ONE voice clip for each tec, as you said that Monotinous, I think it would be rather trivial to make a little python script that randomly chooses one out of a collection of sound files and displays a matching Textual quote. We can just extend the file name with the name of the "voice actor" so their would be TECH_FUSION_MRUNDERHILL.mp3 and a coresponding Text object held someware else. Authors would choose different quotes and voice them to create an expanded library.

That's an interesting possibility. The trouble is, of course, actually gathering said recordings. How tedious a change would it be to impleament?

I just replaced all the recordings with the tech ding in my mod. I was getting really tired of hearing the same stuff over and over.

Top Bottom