[MOD] Realism:The Third Resurrection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spartan117 said:
its amazing how much you guys are trying to incorporate into this mod. Keep up the good work. Ever think of trying to add new civs or possibly land transports of some sort. It would take alot of work with balancing but if you guys get it right it will be great... by the way i think the gunships should have bonus against melee units and other ancient units to increase balance.. attack helicopters would not lose to a unit of macemen.. anyway great work

oh yea same goes with mechanized infantry and other more modern units.. all of them should have bonuses against ancient units such as melee,catpults, trebuchets etc.

Thanks for pointing it out. Yeah the Unit balancing will go on until perfection. I suppose all the modern Units should get a bonus vs. ancient units and middleage units. All WWII units and early Gunpowder would get bonus only vs Ancient units.

vegetius said:
Great Mod!!! I'm nodding off at work after going into the wee hours of the morning with Realism Resurrection. Thanks for your work.

We are happy having reduced your productivity. Enjoy your life dude! ;)

To Houman

In responce to

@Jeff
This is not a coincidence. It is the Catapult bug made by Houmie. I had forgotten to point to a Art file. It is very easy to solve this problem:

1) Go to:
D:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Application Data\My Games\Civilization4\cache
2) Delete all files in the cache folder
3) Extract the 1.09 Patch into the Mods/Realism folder (Even if you have done so before, it doesn't kill your savegame)
4) start your game, load the mod and your savegame. Enjoy!

I have had the catapult problem and artillery etc and a few other objects, rebuchet too etc, How can I fix this issue, I cant find cache folder anywhere on my system for XCiv 4

Thanks

I been waiting to continue my game for a week :*(

Houman said:
1) After you have uninstalled the game, have you also deleted the Civ4 folder?
2) Then, have you as well deleted this folder completely? D:\Documents and Settings\Jeppson\My Documents\My Games\Civilization4

I think you have forgotten 2).
What brand and model is your Video adapter?

Good luck,
Houman

Yes I did delete the folders, did it again and reinstalled to be sure but it still dosent work. Ive tried with sevomod and ultimate strategy and I experience the same problem with both except with sevomod were I cant see the image buttons when im choosing a civ either.

I have a nvidia 7800gt.

@p2parchive,

i am actually quite surprised, why so few people have downloaded the new Mod patch 1.09. Without this patch no one can play a 1.00 game to the end.

1) You need to download the 1.09 Patch from the download link.
2) Find your cache folder C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\Application Data\My Games\Civilization4\cache and delete everything inside.
3) Double click the Patch file and browse to the Realism folder: e.g. C:/program files/Civilization 4/Mods/Realism then press ok.
4) Go and read the CHANGELOG.txt underneath the Realism folder. Does it say Current Release: 1.09 ? If yes you have done Step 3 correctly.

Try it again, if its not working, give me a shout again and tell me this time where exactly you have installed the game and what your WindowsXP username is.

Good luck,
Houman

Thats what I mean, I cant find the Cache folder, And i have searched, Username is Replica, and it was installed to firaxis / civ 4 etc in prgram files as normal

p2parchive said:
Thats what I mean, I cant find the Cache folder, And i have searched, Username is Replica, and it was installed to firaxis / civ 4 etc in prgram files as normal

To find your cache folder go to......

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\Application Data\My Games\Civilization4\cache

It is NOT under program files\firaxi. You also can not go through My Documents on your desktop or the top level folder under your C: drive which is where most of the confusion is......

It must be through - C:\Documents and Settings\Replica(yourname)\Application Data\My Games\Civilization4\cache.

To Houman and his fellowship.

I give you an exemple of a gameplay and some of my own conclusions.

Play on Monarch, Greek on the Realism Maps included in your patch.

I build/conquered 6 cities, became the first to be Polytheist.

With six cities, i lost many monney and slowly became underdevelopped (lack of research):( . Furthemore, after the built of all that could be, nothing unless troops of all kind could be built. This also increased my lack of monney so my lack of research:( :cry: ..... Because i don't want to make any war (i was happy with my Empire) :) , it was a little bit boring.:mad:

So:

1) I suggest you to give the possibility to transform your shield production in monney and or reseach earlier in the game. Even with a low rate.:p

2) Some barbarians/Civ cities are in bad settlement or useless. Madrid, London,Tombouctou,Thebes, Nubia are not well suited. You should not use Oslo but Bergen or Narvik in Norway, Stockholm in Sweden. These cities were some of the settlement used by the viking. You also write "Helenski", it is "Helsinki". :cry:

3) In an other Mod (The Ancient Med.), there is a idea you could use for you r one. They gave an automatic bonus for melee weapons units when Bronze working and after Iron working are discovered. Why not ?;)

I will try again with an asiatic civ. Japan. Banzai !!!!

The Frog.

@ houman

zu 1.
nein ich meine im ganz normalen bildschirm
in meinem screenshot sollten unten rechts ja alle civs mit punkten und haltung mir gegenüber stehen
war auch mal so (also punkteanzeige ist an), aber mit der zeit sind alle verschwunden und tauchen anscheinend erst wieder auf wenn die civ ausgelöscht ist (siehe "0: Washington")

zu 3.
vor 1.0 hatte ich das problem nie
auch nicht vor dem minipatch
(allerdings hatte ich vor dem minipatch das problem dass ich gespeicherte spiele nach pc-neustart nicht mehr laden konnte weil civ abgestürzt ist)

Regards

once you guys are done with the minor bugs and finished updated to the 1.61 patch then a guerillla unit would be interesting. they can be sort of weak have high withdrawal rate and have like double movements. A guerrilla unit for each era could be possible i dont know but a modern or WWI guerrilla unit or 18th century guerrila units should be formed it could be like infantry but only a fraction of the strength and they could be formed like sort of the draft way. the idea would be having the draft still available and also the oppurtunity to create guerilla units. Guerilla units could only be made in time of war, take up part of population but can only be made in cities where there is extreme happiness. such as the ratio of happiness to unhappiness or just the amount happiness faces are in the city. dont know if this is possible but then once the war is over these units are disbanded . maybe this will help balance. oh these units do not recieve the same promotions as regular military units recieve from barracks etc. although they should have bonus against land transports not including the IFV:)

dont know if this is possible but would be very interesting maybe they can plant mines or somethin, use the naval mines sort of have them invisible but have them obviously weaker then naval mines but cause cause Collateral damage to stack if stepped into tile. there can be a limit to how many a guerillla unit can plant. these mines either units themselves or i guess could be improvements made over unimproved land... then there can be an addition a mine detector unit or give a unit already made the ability to see mines and somehow destroy them without actually recieving damage.. or some percentage of success and if it fails it activates mine. mines can only be used in land under cultural borders or something.. dont know what this will do balance

a new building that is training ground can be built to give like 2 experience points or something to the guerilla unit

if this would be created it would be very realistic. a civilzation should be able to fight a war of attrition in its own land as invading units can constantly be recieving damage from mines etc. an occupying invader should not be able to move around completely freely...this is in the case that defending country is not able to fight the enemy straight on.

oh and the t 34 tanks i think either should be stronger and git rid of 25% withdrawal rate.. i thought the t34 were strong... dont know other peoples opinion but i would rather have the 1 movement point extra that the normal tanks have then a 25% withdrawal rate and the T34 2 movement
normal tank= 3 movement T34= 2movement 25% withdrawal

i agree that t34 tanks are probably slower but they were also a lot stronger then the sherman tanks.. the normal tanks look like shermans :D

what are other people's opinions ???

by the way this is my favorite mod so i just want it to try to create new forms of realism

Thats the first place I looked Nightravn, I only told firax as he asked me to specify where it was installed, Im lost at what to do.

Spartan117 said:
oh and the t 34 tanks i think either should be stronger and git rid of 25% withdrawal rate.. i thought the t34 were strong... dont know other peoples opinion but i would rather have the 1 movement point extra that the normal tanks have then a 25% withdrawal rate and the T34 2 movement
normal tank= 3 movement T34= 2movement 25% withdrawal

i agree that t34 tanks are probably slower but they were also a lot stronger then the sherman tanks.. the normal tanks look like shermans :D

what are other people's opinions ???

T-34 were as stronger as Pzkw-IV or Sherman. Only their crew member were weak. I think that giving them a 25% withdrawal is not a good idea. Retreat was not a "solution" for communist politic commissaire...In fact, i would give the T-34 a bonus against Infantry and/or artillery. Remember that the German Army was destroyed a 85% in Russia.....

The Frog.

i think all tanks should have some sort of bonus against infantry units...

infantry weapons are not quite as effective against a moving armored tank

but this can possibly make tanks really powerful in the civ IV game therfor unbalanced i think... how can this strength be countered???

@Hian the Frog - 6 cities on this map = Lose never mind playing on Monarch. In the Noble game I am testing with the English - the Greeks are in Third or Second place, now that I am putting the squeeze on Russia who was second, by controlling the Middle-East and Most of Africa.

No matter what the Victory condition you are going for you will have to do some of each in order to survive to win. What I mean is If you are a warmonger you will have to Build Infrastructure and be Diplomatic with at least some of the Civ's, For the others you will have to expand your territory by War or Culture and be Diplomatic to give yourself a strong Base. Until you take the Tech Lead you will have to make friends in ordered to have open boards to help with the teching or you fill fall hopelessly behind.

6 cities aren't going to cut it, you are going to need a Region ie Europe, Central Asia, S.E. Asia, Mid-East, Africa, North America, S. America with something in the neighborhood of 15-20 cities to have a chance cause the AI will be building to that so you had better take them out when you have to chance.:borg:

@Spartan117 - I don't think guerrilla's will be all that practical. The fact that you can use your own roads when defending is a Major factor already. Why would I want to use sub-par units to defend when I can gather my good ones together quickly. As for conscription well it is in the game with both slavery and the draft so you can always use those methods to get troops.

As for Tanks being better than Infantry, I totally agree at least until Mech Infantry anyways. This would give more weight to the Bazooka units we already have in game and maybe we can give it an upgrade to a Anti-Tank unit or something. But I have just got to the Renaissance Era so It will be a little longer before the Modern Era is completely Tested and Balanced. Everyone's feedback in these area are very important so thank you and keep it coming.

Hian the Frog said:
T-34 were as stronger as Pzkw-IV or Sherman. Only their crew member were weak.
The Frog.

2 The Frog:

Excuse me for my English, it's not my "mother tongue" (c) Rammstein "Amerika".

Please, before you speak, read good historical books, not just watch TV. :lol:
T-34 was MUCH better than Sherman (which was not commonly used in WW2), US army used tanks named "General Grant", and they were also called "A moving grave for 6 crewmen".
When Sherman was produced, it had a very weak main weapon (it could not pierce an armor even of medium tanks), and US soldier's said, that they would kill it's constructors, if they survive this war.
Only in 1944 Sherman obtained a cannon, that could damage enemy medium tanks (but by this date a WW2 was near the end, Germany was already defeated in Soviet Union, and began to retreat). ;)

So do not even compare Sherman to T-34 or, for the sake of God, to Pzkw-IV.

And now about the mod... Nice work, really... But it is not "Realism"... :D
If it were realism,
1. Russians would have superior fighters and bombers in the world (mmm... Su-37 for example) not US with their obsolete F-15 and F-16;
2. Nukes would completely eradicate cities with 10 or less population (1 Mtonn nuke destroys everything in 3 km radius, and what about 10 Mtonn, 100 Mtonn??? ;) )
3. Salpter would be a common resource, history do not know a war for a salpeter... :) It was common, every country in Europe had it, and used it.
4. Planned Economy would give a bonus to production, and Universal Suffrage would lose it's hammer bonus from town (it's simply nonsese, imho) to give a prod bonus from "A RIGHT TO VOTE". Hitler used planned economy to build up heavy manufactures and military, so did Stalin.
5. And I always thought why Versalles and Scotland Yard are national wonders, but Hollywood and Broadway are World Wonders? Maybe because Civ4 is US game? It's simply unfair, you know. Indian Bollywood produces more films and more people see their films, and Hollywood is World Wonder, but Versalles or Hermitage (a real jewel in world's culture are mere national wonders). It's not realism, it's simple propaganda, imho. This game imho must be international, and why nearly all modern-age so-called wonders are of US origin?
And Brandenburg's Gate? And world famous Tibeth (a source of wisdom)?

It's all for now. I really appriciate your work, but if you want to create Realism, read more specialized literature, and try to add some wonder's in modern era that are not of US origin, they are plenty if you try to see them.

Although Mrakvampire does not say it politely, he does have some points about units and modern wonders. The Sukhoi flanker is a plane that does make the F-15 and F-16 seem obsolete. A squadron would wreak havoc in a war. Could add it very late on but make it supreme.

A mod component has been made that leads to nukes eradicating cities. Although in Hiroshima and Nagasaki there were survivors so perhaps civ is right. If we could have different nukes of differing power that would be quite cool. I am kind of nonchalant about nukes. Horrible as they are, the civ always survives. But a nuke that killed everything in a ten square radius would be fun. Perhaps a project for the future.

And the wonders. We cant deny the U.S does have a penchant for building wonderous monuments. But yes, other wonders such as bollywood or the petronas towers (with an increase in commerce), or the sydney opera house (great boost to culture) could be added. Modern era is always weird for me because i almost never play the U.S yet i try to build all their wonders. Could also add 'show' palaces, which while they dont have the benefits of the main palace, they do add to happiness and culture.

My new suggestions are the inclusion of the landmark marker option in the main game. It is unfortunate that you have to go into custom builder to name your lands. The ability to name something is a powerful tool. Could signify the sites of great battles, contested territories, or lush resource rich areas. That would be realistic. Could add a marker saying "birthplace of the one true religion" over your holy city. :lol:

Lastly, is it possible to add a toolbar that allows the civ colour to be changed in game? Colours are important for civs, certain colours look better on some units, and it would be great to change a civs colour to red after they choose the state property civic. :lol:

when trying to achieve realism, it is the balance between religions and military units, it is not meant to entirely be reflective of actual history or the present ... the idea is that any civ could be great civization and be all powerful... the UU should be balanced or else Russians and Americans or whatever would be unstoppable.. and then therefore lesser civs or ancient civs will not be able to compete.... which will get away from the whole point of game where any civ chosen has the chance to be a powerful nation.. the reason for this mod and the game is to be as realistic as possible while still having balance where any nation could become extremely powerful..

and this game is made in america,i think, and therefore Amerca's ideals of what are important and amazing will be reflected in the game... I guess hollywood has prestige but i dont really know on a global scale, i really dont know i only been to mexico and live in us..but anyway scotland yard and versailles,isnt versailles world wonder, should be world wonders and not necessarily national wonders.

in that case it would be realistic that rome should never be able to build modern units.. the civilzation never lasted that long... then in the game Rome should not be able to build marines and in the late game they have no chance

idea of a realism mod is how many things you can add that creates a sense of realism while keeping the game balanced

Spartan117 said:
when trying to achieve realism, it is the balance between religions and military units, it is not meant to entirely be reflective of actual history or the present ... the idea is that any civ could be great civization and be all powerful... the UU should be balanced or else Russians and Americans or whatever would be unstoppable.. and then therefore lesser civs or ancient civs will not be able to compete.... which will get away from the whole point of game where any civ chosen has the chance to be a powerful nation.. the reason for this mod and the game is to be as realistic as possible while still having balance where any nation could become extremely powerful..

I do not understand why totally obsolete F-15 or F-16 is considered in the game "the best fighter in the world". Roman Praetorians were best warriors in their era, German Panzers were best tanks (not always in construction but in training of the crew) in their era... And so on... But when it comes to US... You know, why not give good marines (the pride of US army) or more powerful and cheap carriers?
About Russia... Creators of the game did not know Russian history very well, you know. Russia achieved it's glory in XVII-XIV not because Cossacks, but because brilliant generals such as Suvorov (he defeated Napoleon long before 1812), Kutusov and well trained well equiped infantry and cavalry (the best of the cavalry were called Hussars).
So it seems more logical and realistic to remove Cossacks and insert ultra-modern fighters to Russia.

Spartan117 said:
and this game is made in america,i think, and therefore Amerca's ideals of what are important and amazing will be reflected in the game... I guess hollywood has prestige but i dont really know on a global scale, i really dont know i only been to mexico and live in us..but anyway scotland yard and versailles,isnt versailles world wonder, should be world wonders and not necessarily national wonders.

in that case it would be realistic that rome should never be able to build modern units.. the civilzation never lasted that long... then in the game Rome should not be able to build marines and in the late game they have no chance

idea of a realism mod is how many things you can add that creates a sense of realism while keeping the game balanced

Modern Italy is descendant of Ancient Rome. Modern Iraq, Iran are descendants of Persia, and so on... That's why they can build modern units... :)
Using your logic... America must begin in XVII century? :)
No. I do not want to add such silly realism. But creating only US wonders in modern era is balance, you think? Is it? It is not balance it is typical propaganda. And I personally hate all forms of propaganda, whether it is communistic, despotic or "democratic".

P.S. Excuse me, I made a mistake Versalles IS the World Wonder.

Many are getting better UU's so perhaps America should get their marine beefed up.

Has anyone thought of adding the leaders of civs as actual units in the game? 2 movement, quite weak. But provides small benefits to any city he/she sits in. Opens the option of regicide, when this unit is killed, that civ loses and all cities become barbarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom