[MOD] Realism:The Third Resurrection

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Guys, We have to fix the Assassin anyway, meanwhile I would be happy if Mexico's daughter would leave him alone, so he could send his draft to us. :)

Meanwhile we have made a change we are not sure how you would like it. So we ask you about it:

We have nerfed and buffed at the same time the Militaristic Trait.

At this time it was a bit tough. The Militaristic Trait had already Combat 1 for most their units and needed just to kill one unit to gain 3 experience and move on to next level of promotion. In Other word they were closer to upper promotions.

My Solution to this problem was to make another promotion that is being given to the Militaristic Trait units called Militaristic promotion. This promition gives 10% combat bonus OR 5% combat + 5% City Attack (We haven't deceided yet).

It might seem to not have changed much, however the next promotion is Combat I like any other unit in the game rather than the Tier 2 promotion. In other words they are now nerfed a bit.

However since we would like to re-introduce the green Avatar hero promotion again, I suggested giving all units a chance of 5% to become Heros, while giving Militaristic Trait units a chance of 7.1% to become heros. With this higher chance they would be buffed again. This might give it a bit more balance.

Nightravn disputes however this might be too much of nerf for them and the militaristic trait would become too weak. He suggested two ways to improve this:

1) Giving instead of a free promotion to Militaristic trait --> free experience. (To be honest I don't know yet how this could be possible through XML, any idea?)

2) Setting the Hero chances for Militaristic trait to 10% from 7.1%.

We thought we discuss this matter with the community directly.

Thank you for comments
Your Team

hi...first post here. lots of great info on a great game!:goodjob:

could someone tell me what all those little icons mean...one is a red cross, one is a green cross, and there's about 8 other icons next to them

i clicked them and some seem to line up units in different ways....but most of them i cant see any difference.

also when i loaded ver 1.09, i got a lot of errors. i went and changed my custom assets folder to "custom assets old" and it created a new assets folder. that fixed it and it runs fine now!!

Bill

Regarding militaristic trait...

I don't really see it as broken. I've used all of the traits available and only expansionist seems in need of work. Financial takes awhile to kick in but when it does it's great. Industrial and organized are the two most powerful. Creative and philisophical aren't earth shattering but are great secondary traits to have. The only real joy of militaristic is getting those second tier promotions. The attack promotions available in tier one I find are much better than anything else in the second tier except medic. To me, and probably only to me, militaristic trait just has the chance of an early medic (trained doctors that didn't have to cause harm to others first) and an all-over 10% strength boost. It neither makes nor breaks a game compared to say.... industrial being able to pound out three times as many units as someone else or organized that has a treasury that can buy units from scratch every turn.

Frankly, I don't see militaristic as a problem. It has it's strengths to be sure but they are not overpowering in my little opinion.

I tend to agree with Pisces though if one was to think they were overpowered it would have to be with the fact that the Combat I promotion is a free one ie without XP so add in barracks and you get the automatic promotion to level 2 but where it could be consider overpowering in my opinion is that with 1(might be 2) kill you get a level three promotion with level 2 experience. That why I suggested XP instead of a free promotion as that would prevent the jump of levels but still allow you to hit the 2nd level with a barracks .

Now as to your run down on the Civ's........ Very nice input BUT I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you here a little.... ;)

The Greeks should not be down on that list as they are a force to be reckoned with. In all my test games they are usually in the top 3 and I am currently using them myself in a test game and it is not even a close game. Mind you this is all on noble so with that in mind it is 500 AD and I already control ALL of Europe (though not Russia), I have founded All but 2 of the religions and one of those I have taken control of anyways. I have popped out so many great people it's not even funny anymore as I have a shrine for each religion, 3 Military Academies, 3 or 4 Science Academies and have used 2 Engineers to research Techs. I have already reached the Renaissance Era 1000 years ahead of schedule and am building Musketmen while the AI is just now getting to the middle ages. So those Greeks can be a mighty force.

I think I like them better that the Praetorians as they come a little earlier and you don't need spearmen to tag along like you do with the Legions. Combine them with the Companion Cavalry and you to can dominate the World. :D

I think that the total realism mod is one of the best mods out there, so thanks for all of the hard work. I wondered if you might be able to provide a time frame for when it will be compatible with patch 1.61. Thanks.

I put Greece in the middle not as in it is difficult to conquer the world with them but it's a big challenge. If you focus first on Europe you will have to counter France's legions. Germany and Rome will roll over but France's production is insane. By the time you've finished off Napolean (provided he didn't pop a city in Siberia), you now have to build up to take England. Spain is an afterthought and barely worth mentioning. By the time Europe is finished and you head for Scandinavia and Russia the barbarians in Africa have pummled Egypt and Mali. You now have to tend to barbs who are on elephants and are making a bee-line for the middle east. If you don't finish off Russia very quickly, you will get Khan and the barbarians at the same time.

I play on the monarch level but dropped to noble for the English. There was zero chance to break through France when Napolean had the production bonus. I tried through Germany but France just ran me over there. I couldn't get to scandinavia. But no matter what nitemares the English have, my heart goes out to Spain.

Madrid (Seville) gets a lot of bonuses and can easily become the cultural capital of the globe. What it can't do is go north in the early game. So you are limited to Africa and if you don't move quickly, you're going to get chased out by barbs or the Egyptian chariots.

You can win with every single civ in the game. Some just seem to consistantly pose much more of a challenge than others. I'm crazy enough to choose those civs regularily. :crazyeye:

JakeCourtney said:
I'll start some a draft as soon as I find free time from work. I've got some other projects. (Designing a Software Website).

Hey JakeCourtney,

Please check out civ4mods.sourceforge.net and civ4mods.sourceforge.net/realism. These sites were automatically generated from a build system called maven, but if you make a good site, we can replace it. However, when you make it, please remember that the realism site sites under the more general civ4mods site, so please have a link to the parent (<a href=".."> would be fine)

Cheers,
Israfil. (The long lost with network issues... :) )

P.S. I'm glad for the offer. The main site is generated because I have no ability to make a decent website. :lol:

Feilong said:
I thought that could be useful the existence of a unit that could, actively, spread our culture in another city, increasing the chance of a revolt so that city could change to our civilization. Just like the missionaries spread religion I think it coud exist a unit, I don't know how to call it, maybe "Ambassador", that could turn the tide in our favor! Because not all of us like to simply win the game by capturing or razing cities!

Funny you should mention this. One of my long-term goals is to re-implement religion - or rather a city's religiosity - to be more like culture, where you have a % of adherence, where all the religions in a city will add up to no more than 100%. (If it's less than 100%, it means that a traditional animism/spirituality was the remainder) Inquisitions would in this scenario alter percentages. Interactions would be based on the religiosity of a city by degree, rather than yes/no. Majority/minority religious interaction would be possible - there's all sorts of places to go. But it seems more "realistic" than having religions present or not present. They may be present, but only 1% of a city, which renders them less of an impact than a religion at 30% or 80 %. The meaning of theocracy, free religion, organized religion, etc could then be altered. Organized religion would establish religious law for each religion, and have effects of religions over,say 10% be felt. Theocracy would provide penalties for the presence of minority religions, and negative civ diplomacy for civs with a majority of those minorities. Free religions would level the playing field for any religions, with extremely small minorities getting a "novelty" bonus of some sort.

Anyway, it's very ambitious, and I'm probably six months away from really being able to do this - but... I have a dream...

On this note, I also am looking at ways of re-structuring the GUI screens to support more than 7 religions. However, this would require disempowering religions a bit, or at least scaling them by their popularity, since if we suddely implemented 13 religions, the bonuses based on a balance of 7 would be all out of whack.

Israfil.

@riesscar - I am going to have to let Houman answer that but it should be pretty soon.

@Pisces - yeah poor Isabella has it tough, though if she would focus on getting some settlers out quicker instead of the religious path she wouldn't be too bad. It does kinda mimic history as the Spanish did have to go to Africa and then the new world to expand. In my games I always go after France pretty quick as that Napoleon is a pain. In this game as the Greeks I went after Germany first as they put a city in the Balkans, then I took out Rome, then France which as you say was a little tough but those chariots he likes to crank out are no match for the Phalanx. Then a got Spain and another religion, thanks Isabella. Last in Europe was the English and I have made Russia my friend, though I am winning the culture war there, so I could focus on Europe and then Africa with ALL its riches.:goodjob: :king:

riesscar said:
I think that the total realism mod is one of the best mods out there, so thanks for all of the hard work. I wondered if you might be able to provide a time frame for when it will be compatible with patch 1.61. Thanks.

Thanks riesscar, we do appreciate having fans like you.

Right now, We have few issues... The Mercenery Mod we have added doesn't like the PlotList from 12Monkey. I don't now how we could fix that. I just asked 12m if he could have a look on that.

The parts of Greenmod disable for some odd reason the Assassin Mod. Still no solution...

We have just added the African Warrior unit. More Units have to follow and meanwhile we are waiting for 12m as well to deliver his ReligionMod, which is almost finished.

We are at this time around 80% finished. There won't be any promises but if we solve everything and merge all the required mods, we will release on 27th/28th May.

Regards
Houman

Hey houman....
I can of agree with you on the militaristic trait .....
However... i got some doubt about the hero promotion..... Indeed, a 10 % chance to get a hero seems a little bit too high in my opinion and could give an impressive advantage for militaristic leaders....

What about having the hero poromotion on a 3.5 % basis for regular leader and7% for militaristic ones.... which will pretty much balanced the whole thing.

On a similar subject, will it be possible for the militaristic trait only, to have a better chance of getting the hero promotion or experience regarding who is starting the war....
i.e. if this is implemented... you get more experience or chance to get a hero promotion if you start a war (military campaign leader as khan or napoleon (as a sub-trait of the leader) or exactly the opposite if someone start a war against you then you gained more experience.... as a nationalist leader like, i don t know, any leader that has been invaded a lot in History...

Is that clear ? What you guys think about it ??
Houman, keep up the good work,

La frip.

damned ...
I just read my previous post .....it s full of mispelled word ....i hope you can all understamd what i m writing.... My english is a little bit rusty....

wow :confused:

We are at this time around 80% finished. There won't be any promises but if we solve everything and merge all the required mods, we will release on 27th/28th May.:(

maybe i could spend my time doing more constructive during the time...maybe like sleeping...:)

good luck houman and team

first, great work guys, this is probably the best mod i ever played (i've been a Civ fan since it was a DOS application :) )

I would like to post periodically a series of recommendations for this mod and hope u can squeeze them in ure project:

1- is it possible to enable fort-building outside the cultural border, becoz after all, this is a war game, and seizing and defending strategic locations (by that, make the game more interesting by using the promotions more elaborately).
2- is it possible to come up with a new type of fortifications: forts, airports, underground tunnels, hospitals, radars, trench lines (along with a series of corresponding promotions) etc... becoz the beauty of Civ IV are promotions and terrain, and building up a "magino" "siegfried" or "barleff" defence line would be great :), in addition, make it less indispensible to have a city right on the borders to support a defence line, by that, we will build less "Unecessary" cities, rather do it where they really belong and focus on the Units warefare instead.
3- increase the Black-ops options for the assassin (and its successors) to become more important along with a more elaborate Civlopedia entries and GUI buttons.
4- Change the appearances of the workers,settlers as we enter a new Era.
5- add more unit, unique units like F15s, more helicopters (like transport copters), cruise missiles, tomahawk, paratroops... kinda like Realism mod for Civ III.
6- be able to pillage roads and improvements in our own cultural borders (for various reasons, one of them: Scorched earth :D)
7- make a more elaborate civlopedia for improvements and land tiles, for example: how do we use the "trasform to water" ability of the "demolition team", how to uncover "ancient temples" etc...
8- make a unit that spreads unrest in enemy territories, not in cities, but the countryside, for example: if this unit is over a "farm" and was ordered to spread unrest, a group of "peasants" will rise and attack all the farms in the region, if a "mine" tile was a target also, a goup of miners will revolt and attack all the Production tiles. In addition, this special unit should be able to convert nationalities in specific border tiles and not only cities, so a territory on the border, with high strategic location, should be subject to a Tug-of-war with both culture and military.
9- make a building similar to "Military academy" that would increase the experience of units stationed in it every turn till a certain level, becoz its frustrating to keep fighting and "PROTECTING" a certain unit since the dawn of our civilization if we wanted to reach those high level promotions.

i will keep posting similar comments in the future, some of them for bug removals, enhancing gameplay experience ... etc.... that is of course if u dont mind. Bare in mind that i know some of these suggestions cannot be achieved anytime soon, especially with all the current priorities u have, but at least, lets either discuss them or add them to ure ToDo list.

thanks guys,
keep up the good work.

Very good news guys, :D

Please welcome our 5th Total Realism team member "Mexico".

He is an Python expert and has already fixed numerious little & hard to discover problems within the Mod. The Assassin Mod is finally working again. He was also able to fix and improve few mods like the TechWindow Mod, Assassin Mod ans StackAid Mod.

The Assassin Mod will be described in detailed at a later stage. However you should now that soon you will be able to defend your city with 5 Assassins instead of 1. And yet the attacker has still a little chance to set a revolt and a very little chance to kill a leader. (since a 100% defense doesn't exist in reality)

Finally its rolling again faster. :)

Kind Regards
Houman

@houman...... about that video

how did you find that? who made it?...i felt the video was very striking what footage but i am constantly thinking of its legitamacy, it could be questioned...i have to find more information...do you know anything more about it?

That video certainly is interesting. Some things just dont match up, no, most of it doesnt match up. The setup prior, the other explosions, the pentagon, the gold. And that guy isnt Osama.

But in regards to civ, now i know this is a shocking idea, but perhaps we could implement the ability to destroy a wonder and blame it on foreign agents. The in game effects would be very low war weariness for a time period, a boost to production and finance. :sad: Not happy with the idea, but it could be a good addition.

@Spartan
I came across the video totally accidentally. I was quite shocked by myself when I watched it for the first time last night. What they did is no magical trick that could to be questioned. All they do is showing that footage from witnesses and even from numerous American Live News channels what their reporters have seen and heard. Now that the nationalistic feelings are a bit dimmer and the mind clearer; you can see what happened there was pretty much different to the official version that got shaped later by the government.

As you might know I grew up in Germany and quite everyone is familiar with Goebbels saying (Hitler&#8217;s right hand-man and minister of propaganda):

"The bigger the lie you are telling your people, and the more you repeat it the more people would believe you"

@Los Tiranos
hehe, so do you mean we should implement a 9/11 project in our mod? With such a project you could blame it on your rival and start a war without war weariness despite being in a democracy? :D

Yes, that is exactly what i mean. :D
Calling it the "9/11 project" makes it so much better. But it could be done before the modern era. Imagine if the hanging gardens collapsed and Persia blamed its neighbour? Ironically its neighbour may have been sending assasins into Persian cities at the same time. Possibilities.

Just had a glitch though. Riding down a scout with my camel archer and one of my camel archers fired two arrows with his bow legolas style at the same time. They hit, scout died. Aimed at next scout, fired two more simultaneously, they missed and flew off, next shot let loose two together and that scout died. Arrows were flying everywhere, and although cool, thought id report it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom