Mod the plague

Rhye, do you think it would be possible to make an updated version of RFC without the plague? I'm not asking for a whole new update, just v182 with the plague taken out.

Good to hear Rhye. :)

Was just playing another game as Germany, and I have to say the plague is still really killing me. Two of my cities were left completely defenseless (Lemberg and Wien, border cities no less, and while I was at war with France on top of that). 5 out of 6 of my workers died too. I understand that the plague is supposed to clear out the AI's giant stockpiles of useless units, but I think the effect on the human player is a little strong.

Edit: Make that three cities. Athen was left with nothing but a work boat. :(

So, in a game as Turkey, I was hit with the triple whammy! First a world wide plague wipes out my army, then a congress is called (why would a congress be called during a plague?), then the nations of the world elect to give my city of As-Sur to the Arabians, who had tried twice before unsuccessfully to get it.

The culture in this city was over 13,000 (I am going for cultural victory) and those who voted for Arabia I was on good terms with. So what is the triple you ask?

Well, somehow while my 6 cities are defended by a total of 4 units, Germany and Arabia both seem to have enough units to send stacks against me. I understand that the plague concept was intended to weed out the old units, but I find that all i does is wipe out more of my units than the AIs, and when it does, kills the most powerful and experienced Riflemen while allowing the crossbow to live.

Another bad part of the plague is that it completely ruins the usefulness of standing armies. Why build an army to invade your neighbor if the plague is going to kill more than half of them?

Half? I have never had only half of my army killed. I am usually lucky to have one unit per city left. Even stockpiling them in the healthiest city does no good.

Please, please, or you're gonna make me contact the plague myself. For the last time: I already know that's too strong, and I've already reworked it. Give me the time to finish testing and post a new version.

Maybe you should tone it a bit down....

Edit: Oh, didn't see your answer before. Sorry.

Sorry Rhye, didn't mean to beat a dead horse :)

please, dont make it worse!

What's a 10 health buffer?

How many :health: does your city have? Subtract 10 and thats where you should keep your population.

Well, that's really funny.
XII century. Scene In The Medieval Kingdom.

The King: I say, my court of advisors, we are in a deep trouble. That terrible plague has reached all the nearby kingdoms, and I think it is only a matter of time before my land holdings will be affected by it. What shall we do? By the way, I really like, that there are no slaves in our kingdom, instead we have a great caste system, which really helps our culture.

The Main Advisor: Sir, you should make your population slaves again!

The King: Do you mean that slaves are imuune to that disease? That's really strange...

The Main Advisor: No, Sir! But they're slaves, so you are able to kill lots and lots of them, 'cause they have absolutely no rights.

The King: Why I should kill my people?

The Main Advisor: Well, Sir, you understand, it is really crowded in our cities. Too much populations means lots of unhealthiness. If you kill the most of you population, the rest will have more healthy living conditions.

The King: But the plague will kill them with same effect.:confused:

The Main Advisor: Oh, Sir, the plague is a very special disease. Our troops are immune to all usual diseases. Seems like a man, when given a flail and clad in armor will be always healty. But, the plague kills the soliders too.

The King: Oh, my. Well, then do what you like.

A somewhat surrealistical bit of dialogue, I think...:rolleyes:

Bwahaha. I've grown so accustomed to exploiting bugs I didn't think of it that way.

I admit I dislike rules that penalize civilizations with lot of unhealthy/unhappy citizens, because all it does is the player setting the "Aviod City Growth" option on. :rockon: And, BTW, can AI handle these changes?

Maybe, just MAYBE, great scientists should be able to cleanse your nation of plague. As in, the great scientist discovers a cure. Is this possible? If it is, would the AI know how to use it?

...First a world wide plague wipes out my army, then a congress is called (why would a congress be called during a plague?), ...

:lol: That's a really good point; i never thought of it that way.

Top Bottom