Mod the plague

hello,

there was once an article about Rhye's of Civilization III where they displayed the real name of Rhye... but I have to admit I forgot it, something Italian .. what a surprise :)

In anyway. The idea that plague is taking hitpoints away is very well thought of and exactly the right way. It should be integer(turns/10)/10 hitpoints per round. So in turn 100 every unit would lose 1 hitpoint.
In turn 257 every unit would lose 2.5 every turn etc. So in this way the reduction of old cheap units is accomplished, like wanted and necessary, but a solid empire can maintain its army even during a really harsh plague (8 turns). And cities should heal, because in this way an army in the fields would be more affected, like in reality. In cities you simply have quarantine, infirmaries etc.

So let's calculate :
Plague 6 turns. units with 2 HP in city, turn 100.

1st turn : 1 HP damage, 20% healed = 1.40
2nd turn : 1 HP damage, 20% healed = 0.80
3rd turns : 1 HP damage = dead

Plague 6 turns. Unit with 4 HP in city, turn 100

1st turn : 1 HP damage, 20% healed = 3.80
2nd turn : 1 HP damage, 20% healed = 3.60
3rd : 3.40
4th : 3.20
5th : 3.00
6th : 2.80 = survives

Plague 6 turns. Units with 4 HP outside city, turn 100

1st turn : 1 HP damage, 10% healed = 3.40
2nd turn : 1 HP damage, 10% healed = 2.80
3rd : 2.20
4th : 1.60
5th : 1.00
6th : 1 damage = dead

Not bad , is it ? And quite realistically

To improve the model, we even now assume that players like to keep their best units alive, so we integrate now experience. The idea is that a unit suffers less damage, as more experienced it is.

Every units looses hitpoints per round according to following formula:
(integer(.actualturn/10)/10)-(integer((.experience_of_unit+9)/100))

(the integer function is from an old language and transforms the value in bracket into an integer - dont know whether this syntax is still around in C++)

So a unit with 3 xp in turn 100 would loose 1-0.1 = 0.9 hitpoints every turn.
A unit with 11 xp and in turn 367 would loose : 3.6 - 0.2 = 3.4 hp every turn

In this case all fresh units would die in last example, but the already experienced ones would survive.. if the plague ends after 6 turns...

so again :

Plague 6 turns. Units with 4 HP, 3 xp, outside city, turn 100

1st turn : 0.9 HP damage, 10% healed = 3.50
2nd turn : 0.9 HP damage, 10% healed = 3.00
3rd : 2.50
4th : 2.00
5th : 1.50
6th : 1.00

Plague ends...

So lets make it clear. The Plagues kill warriors im Bronze Age, but spearman have a good chance of survival. In Midage the Archers and Spearmen will go, but Macemen have a good chance of survival etc. This is what we want, is it not ?

I don't need any more comments, thank you. The new version is due tonight or tomorrow

But maybe some bug report about the plague ?

Happened as following :

I had no plague, conquered a plague infested city and razed it afterwards. Of course the unit died, but more importantly the Plague Icon appeared next to my civilization and stayed for 7 turns. If I understand you right then I am now immune against the plague for several turns even when I did not suffer anything from the plague ?

Btw. just some curiosity , but i did not test it yet. Can I send units into mercenary service out of plague infested cities or in general during a plague ? If yes, please correct it.

But maybe some bug report about the plague ?

Happened as following :

I had no plague, conquered a plague infested city and razed it afterwards. Of course the unit died, but more importantly the Plague Icon appeared next to my civilization and stayed for 7 turns. If I understand you right then I am now immune against the plague for several turns even when I did not suffer anything from the plague ?

afterwards means immediately on capture, or later?

Btw. just some curiosity , but i did not test it yet. Can I send units into mercenary service out of plague infested cities or in general during a plague ? If yes, please correct it.

it's better not to mess up mercenaries again

afterwards means immediately on capture, or later?

it's better not to mess up mercenaries again

I would need to recheck, but for now I say it was immediately. I will provide the save-file in the evening.

If you can send your units simply into mercenary service then a Plague will be not a problem for any human player any more. You just empty your cities and get back your army when the Plague is over. This is a huge exploit ...

I would need to recheck, but for now I say it was immediately. I will provide the save-file in the evening.

i don't need it. It's fixed already

If you can send your units simply into mercenary service then a Plague will be not a problem for any human player any more. You just empty your cities and get back your army when the Plague is over. This is a huge exploit ...

they can die elsewhere, no? If you've got the plague, it's likely that other will have it as well

they can die elsewhere, no? If you've got the plague, it's likely that other will have it as well

you overestimate the capabilities of the other civs to hire mercenaries. They normally only take the cheap old ones (warriors and stuff) and when they do I am veeery happy , because i get hell a lot of money for crap. Money is essential in Civ.

But lets come back to the point. I send my soldiers who would die anyway into mercenary service. For the old bad ones I get a fine amount of money and my good modern units the AI won't touch anyway. So after the plague I get my whole army (minus the bad ones) back and have more money than ever before .. the alternative is to have no money , no warriors and small cities ..

I don't see this... I gave the mercenary/plague exploit a try while trying to win a Persian UHV. Immortals can't be made into mercenaries, but the spearmen and archers I had defending my cities could... At the onset of the plague, I threw all of my available units into mercenaries. The plague ended a few turns later and a good 2/3rds of the units I made into mercs were gone... I was left with a spearman and a couple of archers in the merc screen after I had sent 2-3 spearmen and AT LEAST 6-8 archers...

Rod, have you used this exploit? I know that the units I sent into mercenary service never got hired... Persia is broke and I would have noticed... They just vanished. I assume from the plague... I don't believe that mercenaries are immune.

Hello,

I suppose we need some playtesting on this question and as I mentioned I did not check this exploit fully.
If the units are vanishing then everything is fine.
I will just wait my next plague :)

There isn't any files, only directory named that way. There are however two same named files inside that directory. By quickly looking at both of them, deleting one wouldn't affect on the plague issue and those removals would have serious negative effects on the whole mod.
If you are referring to the directory where all of this mod's components are, deleting it would make this mod impossible to play thus not solving my "problem".
Thanks for trying to help out though, I appreciate it.

Is there someone who has done this, or knows how to do it? Do I just need put hash in front of every line of code where word "plague" is?

Why on EARTH would you want to remove the plague?! It speeds up the game and weakens the AI civs... Sure, you'll lose a few archers... Big deal. I'm sorry, it's just with the most recent version, I don't see the plague as that big of an issue anymore... It only lasts a few turns and it forces me to update my defenses every now and again by killing off the weaker units... I honestly think the plague is just WONDERFUL! Oh yeah, I said it...

Top Bottom