[mod] TOTAL REALISM 2.0

how do you know???
I thought 2 SSd drives would make a huge inpact!

I don't know it, but to me that is very likely. imo XML and art get loaded upfront, afterwards civ tries to keep them in memory (if anything, it is the OS which does some swapping).

I definitely do not expect civ to load stuff from the HD every turn (actually I do not expect it to do so at any turn, let alone every turn). If it doesn't, which imo is very likely, SSDs won't help at all, they would only help if the slowdown were due to civ accessing the HD excessively between turns.

So I'd assume your startup time gets reduced whereas your time between turns is unaffected.

All of this is just my theory, I have never tried SSDs, not with civ, not with anything else. So if you want to, give them a try. If they actually do make a difference (which I very much doubt), let us know ;)

Imo about the only thing which would help would be more ram and a faster cpu. RAM however will not gain you anything if you already have 2-3 GB and use a 32 bit OS.

All I know is I have a four year old system (which four years ago was nearly top of the line), and I've been playing Civ4 with a lot of extra graphical mods with 1GB of system Ram for awhile and it was "okay", but a bit choppy in late-game, and took awhile to ALT-TAB (I know, but I can't help myself)... I recently upgraded to 2GB of system memory, changed absolutely nothing else in my system, and the performance increase in Civ4 was like night and day... it was like I had a whole new system as far as Civ4 was concerned... ALT-TABing is much faster, turns seem smoother, scrolling is smoother, there's no lag late-game... I'm loving it...

So, from 1st-hand experience, I do know adding more memory definately helps with Civ4... at least between 1GB to 2GB... not sure if 2GB to something higher is as dramatic an increase.

I don't know it, but to me that is very likely. imo XML and art get loaded upfront, afterwards civ tries to keep them in memory (if anything, it is the OS which does some swapping).

I definitely do not expect civ to load stuff from the HD every turn (actually I do not expect it to do so at any turn, let alone every turn). If it doesn't, which imo is very likely, SSDs won't help at all, they would only help if the slowdown were due to civ accessing the HD excessively between turns.

So I'd assume your startup time gets reduced whereas your time between turns is unaffected.

All of this is just my theory, I have never tried SSDs, not with civ, not with anything else. So if you want to, give them a try. If they actually do make a difference (which I very much doubt), let us know ;)

Imo about the only thing which would help would be more ram and a faster cpu. RAM however will not gain you anything if you already have 2-3 GB and use a 32 bit OS.

Thank you so much for your advise i am going to be spending like 600.00 dollars i rather spend it were it counts i am a huge civ4 TR fan and if i think i can spend some cash to make my Civ4 game run faster i will.
I have Vista ultimate x64 and some raptors in raid0
i have 6GB of DDR2 PC6400 i just bought a New CPU e8400 Clocked to 4GHz and i also bought a New asus Motherboard x48 ICHR9 i can see some better performance.
I was going to oder the 64GB SSd drives from OCz for 279.99+tax but Now I am thinking of Buying 8GB DDR2 1066MHz OCz do you think this will help?What should i do Please guys keep in mind I am going to spend over 600.00 dollars so if any Body Out there in Civ4 TR has a Solution for faster turns and better performance please let me know.
I realy need some advise before i order from Newegg.com
I am just looking for faster turns and better performance for my late games.
I hope to know were can i make a better investment Memory or Hard drives.

All I know is I have a four year old system (which four years ago was nearly top of the line), and I've been playing Civ4 with a lot of extra graphical mods with 1GB of system Ram for awhile and it was "okay", but a bit choppy in late-game, and took awhile to ALT-TAB (I know, but I can't help myself)... I recently upgraded to 2GB of system memory, changed absolutely nothing else in my system, and the performance increase in Civ4 was like night and day... it was like I had a whole new system as far as Civ4 was concerned... ALT-TABing is much faster, turns seem smoother, scrolling is smoother, there's no lag late-game... I'm loving it...

So, from 1st-hand experience, I do know adding more memory definately helps with Civ4... at least between 1GB to 2GB... not sure if 2GB to something higher is as dramatic an increase.

Please give me any info you have i must research this before forking out 600.00 USD for SSD Or 230.00 for 8GB of DDR2 1066HGz OCZ
Were should i invest like i said i just invested in a New CPU and MotherBoard.
Please CIV fans Help me out.:goodjob:

I have Vista ultimate x64 and some raptors in raid0
i have 6GB of DDR2 PC6400 i just bought a New CPU e8400 Clocked to 4GHz and i also bought a New asus Motherboard x48 ICHR9 i can see some better performance...

Please give me any info you have i must research this before forking out 600.00 USD for SSD Or 230.00 for 8GB of DDR2 1066HGz OCZ
Were should i invest like i said i just invested in a New CPU and MotherBoard.
Please CIV fans Help me out.:goodjob:
Sounds to me like your MB, CPU & Memory are as good as it's going to get for now concerning Civ4... 6GB of system memory... I doubt adding more will make Civ4 run better at this point.

As Mamba mentioned, a faster operating Hard Drive probably won't gain you anything in Civ4 performance, as it's only accessed during initial boot-up and/or loading a saved game. HD-access during a game is very minimal (unless you don't have much system memory, but that's not a problem for you).

According to your setup, you should be having no problem at all with Civ4... there's only three remaining 'hicups' I can think of if you're not getting super-smooth performance.

1) I don't recall you mentioning your video card... possible I missed it... but if you have a 10GHz system, 100GB of system memory, the best HD and MB on the planet, all linked to an 8-year old 32MB on-board video card, your going to get a crummy performance... like I said, I have no idea what your video card is, because either you didn't mention it, or I missed it... but a good video card is part of the 3-main things you need in your system that should all be well-balanced... A) Video Card, B) CPU, C) System Memory.

2) System Memory CAS-timing... on often overlooked thing here... there's system memory, then there's GOOD system memory... the cheap-stuff is usually CAS-3 timing or slower (higher the number, the worse it is). The good system memory is CAS-2 timing or better. It's another one of those "I'd rather have 2GB of CAS-2 system memory then 4GB of CAS-3 system memory" things. Think of memory as like having cars and CAS is the high-performance factor... it's nice to have a lot of cars (system memory), but would you rather have two Ford Taurus cars, or one Lamborghini?

3) That darn Vista OS... okay... so probably not much you can do about this... but Windows Vista is a system hog... and maybe (just maybe), no matter how sweet your hardware is, you're just going to get crummy Civ4 performance because Vista and Civ4 aren't properly optimized for one another... dunno about this last one, just a thought. :dunno:

Anyways, according to your setup (minus the missing info on your video card), you should be running Civ4 smooth... in either case, I don't think shelling out $600 bucks for a better HD setup is going to give you a noticeable boost in Civ4 performance... that's my 2-cents...

Sounds to me like your MB, CPU & Memory are as good as it's going to get for now concerning Civ4... 6GB of system memory... I doubt adding more will make Civ4 run better at this point.

As Mamba mentioned, a faster operating Hard Drive probably won't gain you anything in Civ4 performance, as it's only accessed during initial boot-up and/or loading a saved game. HD-access during a game is very minimal (unless you don't have much system memory, but that's not a problem for you).

According to your setup, you should be having no problem at all with Civ4... there's only three remaining 'hicups' I can think of if you're not getting super-smooth performance.

1) I don't recall you mentioning your video card... possible I missed it... but if you have a 10GHz system, 100GB of system memory, the best HD and MB on the planet, all linked to an 8-year old 32MB on-board video card, your going to get a crummy performance... like I said, I have no idea what your video card is, because either you didn't mention it, or I missed it... but a good video card is part of the 3-main things you need in your system that should all be well-balanced... A) Video Card, B) CPU, C) System Memory.

2) System Memory CAS-timing... on often overlooked thing here... there's system memory, then there's GOOD system memory... the cheap-stuff is usually CAS-3 timing or slower (higher the number, the worse it is). The good system memory is CAS-2 timing or better. It's another one of those "I'd rather have 2GB of CAS-2 system memory then 4GB of CAS-3 system memory" things. Think of memory as like having cars and CAS is the high-performance factor... it's nice to have a lot of cars (system memory), but would you rather have two Ford Taurus cars, or one Lamborghini?

3) That darn Vista OS... okay... so probably not much you can do about this... but Windows Vista is a system hog... and maybe (just maybe), no matter how sweet your hardware is, you're just going to get crummy Civ4 performance because Vista and Civ4 aren't properly optimized for one another... dunno about this last one, just a thought. :dunno:

Anyways, according to your setup (minus the missing info on your video card), you should be running Civ4 smooth... in either case, I don't think shelling out $600 bucks for a better HD setup is going to give you a noticeable boost in Civ4 performance... that's my 2-cents...

Once again you have spoken like a true gentlemen or may be like a wise shaling monk!
I have 9600GT I was thinking of buying x260 Invidia Video card.
Damm dude my system runs silky smooth up until late turns thats where it turns ugly......... F***K i do Not Know what to do i have set out to conquer this Issue and by "God" I will.
Should i buy a New Video Card?

Once again you have spoken like a true gentlemen or may be like a wise shaling monk!
I have 9600GT I was thinking of buying x260 Invidia Video card.
Damm dude my system runs silky smooth up until late turns thats where it turns ugly......... F***K i do Not Know what to do i have set out to conquer this Issue and by "God" I will.
Should i buy a New Video Card?
No... I don't think so... let's recap...

Your System:
CPU: e8400 Clocked to 4GHz
MB: ASUS Motherboard x48 ICHR9
Main System Memory: 6-GB of PC6400 (CAS?) DDR2 SDRAM
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 9600GT w/512-megs (PCIE)

My System:
CPU: Intel Pentium-IVE Prescott 3.0GHz (Socket-478)
MB: Asus P4P800 SE, Intel 865PE Chipset
Main System Memory: 2-GB of PC3200 CAS2 DDR1 SDRAM (Dual Channel)
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 6800GT w/256-megs (AGP)

In my opinion, I'm happy with the system performance in Civ4, including late-game... your system blows mine away... You also seem to be in-balance with the three major components which matter... CPU, Video Card & System Memory.

Now what's passable and isn't in regards to "I'm happy with performance" is all in the eye of the beholder, but to be honest... I really don't think throwing more money at the problem is going to solve anything... about all I can recommend now is make sure you're not running anything in the background (virus programs, system checkers, spyware, 12-open CAD programs, etc) and wish for the best... but I can only imagine if you spent another $600 bucks on a system which is already top of the line, you would be pretty peeved when you don't get anything more performance-wise in-game.

I say stand pat... I can't fathom spending anymore money is going to make the game smoother on that system then it already is. Maybe the whole problem is that system hog Vista?!?!

O.K., having just upgraded my system (wow!), new cards, lots more RAM, etc., I downloaded Total Relaism. Everything seems fine, but.... All I get is the map. No buttons, top or bottom, etc. No advisors, can't get a city screen. HELP!!
J.P.Jones

No... I don't think so... let's recap...

Your System:
CPU: e8400 Clocked to 4GHz
MB: ASUS Motherboard x48 ICHR9
Main System Memory: 6-GB of PC6400 (CAS?) DDR2 SDRAM
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 9600GT w/512-megs (PCIE)

My System:
CPU: Intel Pentium-IVE Prescott 3.0GHz (Socket-478)
MB: Asus P4P800 SE, Intel 865PE Chipset
Main System Memory: 2-GB of PC3200 CAS2 DDR1 SDRAM (Dual Channel)
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 6800GT w/256-megs (AGP)

In my opinion, I'm happy with the system performance in Civ4, including late-game... your system blows mine away... You also seem to be in-balance with the three major components which matter... CPU, Video Card & System Memory.

Now what's passable and isn't in regards to "I'm happy with performance" is all in the eye of the beholder, but to be honest... I really don't think throwing more money at the problem is going to solve anything... about all I can recommend now is make sure you're not running anything in the background (virus programs, system checkers, spyware, 12-open CAD programs, etc) and wish for the best... but I can only imagine if you spent another $600 bucks on a system which is already top of the line, you would be pretty peeved when you don't get anything more performance-wise in-game.

I say stand pat... I can't fathom spending anymore money is going to make the game smoother on that system then it already is. Maybe the whole problem is that system hog Vista?!?!

Dude i Just upgraded to ATI 4870 8GB GEIL of The Evo One and 2 Solid State Drives!Lets see how this goes P.s I just Got Asus rampage!!

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere I searched and didn't find anything.
Is it possible to make at least some smaller ships able to move up rivers?
I can't speak for anyone else but I think it would be incredible if it is possible.
It would add realism, think of the river patrol boats in vietnam for example.
Those had stationary guns that could rip up a riverbank and the tree line behind it.
They also had the ability to unload a small ground force.
I hope someone will at least consider it IF it's even possible to do such a thing.

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere I searched and didn't find anything.
Is it possible to make at least some smaller ships able to move up rivers?
I can't speak for anyone else but I think it would be incredible if it is possible.
It would add realism, think of the river patrol boats in vietnam for example.
Those had stationary guns that could rip up a riverbank and the tree line behind it.
They also had the ability to unload a small ground force.
I hope someone will at least consider it IF it's even possible to do such a thing.

Doubt it since rivers seem to be inbetween the tiles and a unit couldn't move inbetween a tile.

[/Lurk away]

Random question...what's the name of the song that plays at the main menu?

WOW - this is a long dead thread. :p

Do not know about the song you refer to.
Anyway, you should be playing version 2.3A (last public release) or 2.4 - if you visit the TR website. :)

Visit the TR forum: http://civ4.houmie.com/forum/

Click on either 'Ideas/development' or 'Bug reports' to get the 2.4 version.

Or check this site for the 2.3a version.

Enjoy. :)

Ok, 1st off--
LOVE this mod!!! It is great!

Now to business--
TR world map- all players, me being rome, crash 1 turn after a saved game, modern era, no combat happening (that I know of...). always happens. I can send it to you if you want it, probably would help with the debugging...

I don't have room for that many mods, so I've decided to download either RoM or Total Realism. However, I can't decide between the two...I like how RoM incorporates several different mods AND has more unique religions and corporations, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by its future eras and insanely huge scale.

I like the relative simplicity of TR, however, it's not as compatible with other mods as I'd like it to be. Which one should I choose? :confused:

Top Bottom