1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[mod] TOTAL REALISM 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Houman, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Serga

Serga Civilized maniak

2. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

I wanted to be the first one on here today (my Birthday), and say this is a great Mod, keep up the good work.

3. Mexico

Mexico TR senior programmer

heh..both are already on feature request list :)

@all
    no new functions/mods/... in next patch(es) - this patch(es) is only bugfixes and/or performace improvements (because adding new stuff will also bring new bugs and hit performace)
    but yes, we are planning add more stuff for next release (ie helicopter over ocean, 3-sqare city radius for huge maps, ...)

4. Drakan

Drakan Voluntas Omnia Vincit

I wanted to congratulate the team on this excellent mod.

I only have three minor complaints:

1. You cannot stack more than 15 units on the same tile because you cannot roll through them. Also If you stack more than 15 in one city the city screen gives problems. This is a big problem. Because say If I'm attacking a city and I have 15 units and a MGL pops I have 16 units now and cannot possibly choose which units attack the city because I cannot roll over the units individually.

2. Playing on a huge world the game takes a long time intraturns. It seems to me the mod takes longer than the regular game in this map setting becaue I hadn't observed thisproblem in the vanilla game. Perhaps this is just the game and not the mod.

3. Please fix the name for the Three Gorges Dam.

Great mod, keep up the great work. It's a lot of fun and reminds me of C3C such as the saltpeter being necessary to build gunpowder units (fantastic from a strategy point of view !)or the Great Wonders from Civ2.

5. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Just to let you guys know, the Patch is coming this weekend. More details about the patch will be released in the next 2 days. :D

I cannot reproduce the German Teutonic problem. Can anyone else reproduce this problem that Germans get the Maceman instead of teutonic knight?

Thanks
    Houman

6. bovinespy

bovinespy Chieftain

Hi Houman. Thanks for the reply. When I say the Exapnsive trait promotes vertical growth, I mean that, by providing extra health and cheap granaries, it encourages the player to build his empire "upward" into more densely populated cities, on average, than his non-Expansive competitors. Likewise, when I say that the Organized trait promotes horizontal growth, I mean that, by lowering civics upkeep and providing cheap courthouses, it encourages the player to build his empire "outward" by being able to maintain more far-flung cities, on average, than his non-Organized competitors.

As far as being sure that changing traits will change the AI's behavior, I have no idea. I'm just a devoted Civver - you guys are the experts!;) :goodjob: What I am saying is that, when the human plays Genghis, it would be nice if his traits encouraged him to emulate the Great Khan by building a huge empire. Likewise, if I play Japan, it would be great if I was encouraged to build massive cities close to home. As for the AI, you guys would (I assume) have to program the AI files to take advantage of their respective traits (make Genghis highly aggressive, but not likely to raze cities, and likely to have "open borders", while make Tokugawa only very limited in aggression, but very isolationist). The default AI for Tokugawa already plays him as a cranky isolationist, so he just needs to have his tendencies to "horizontally" expand his empire tamed a little. When I'm playing your (excellent) Earth map, it's a little disconcerting seeing the entire US West Coast dotted with Japanese settlements!:eek: If he had didn't have the Org trait, perhaps this would be less likely to occur?

For most of the civs on your Earth map, I think you do a very good job of matching up leaders' traits with the historical tendencies of their respective nations. I just think that this swap (perhaps along with a little AI tweak) would make the game just that much closer to the Total Realism goal.

Keep up the good work!:king:

7. Serga

Serga Civilized maniak

I my current game assassins stop working. A dont understand why.
    It occurs before, but it was known bug with loading. Now i cant repair assassins missions by moving them out and in target city.

8. fegguk

fegguk Chieftain

In regards the tutonic knight problem. I was playing on noble level with the earth map. I had access to all resources and could build macepersons.

On another topic I also suffered a period of bankrupt economy when I overwelmed France and Spain and Greece earlish in the game.I grossly over extended my dominions. I desporatly reseached cash generating stuff and buildings, even so I lost most of my military during the great crash. I feel this was a realistic feature as the economy stupid was a major problem for most early empires. Lack of technolgy and cash limits the ability to control vast teritories. A part from this noble was a bit to easy, however I will continue the game to the modern era if I can avoid winning before then.

I have just founded my first colonies in the new world and rid it of barbarians. The week civilisations of the America's are about to feel the effects of Jack Boots and pointy hats.

9. Innocence

Innocence Chieftain

Interresting. It seems to me the two traits should simply swap names in this mod - then Expansive trait would actually encourage expansive behaviour (horizontal), and Organized would encourage fewer, but larger, cities (vertical)

10. ibcoltscrew

ibcoltscrew Chieftain

I told him this problem but someone told me REPORT THE BUG with the TXT Blablabla... but i'm happy to see i am not the only one with this Stack Problem... Of Course with 10 longbowman+5 Spearman stack together, the city screen is lagging as hell and the game performance drop to 1-2 fps...
    Maybe we are the only one who play with Huge Army !
    Check my post on PAGE #3

Also... Something VERY annoying with this mods : Everytime i am playing another mods i have to Clear the Cache File becasue your mods won't work... Civ4 Crash if i don't clear the Cash... this is very annoying taking the fact that alot of people are playing alor of different mods. I can't load my game with XX Century Mods and then load Realism 2.0... My game load by default with XX Century 2.1 becasue it is my best mods ever.

11. Mexico

Mexico TR senior programmer

stack problem: i think i found solution, now it is under testing, so i hope that new patch solve this too

cache: this is because this mod has too much changes into XML and engine has problem to reusing cache in this case....i am sorry :( , but this is limitation which we can't solve (or maybe if we remove some components...;) )

12. bovinespy

bovinespy Chieftain

Thanks for the reply. Actually, it wouldn't be simply switching the names, but rather the traits themselves for the two civs - but I know what you mean.;) But seriously, I like your idea of switching the names for the two traits. It would eliminate a lot of confusion. (Except when playing the Romans:p ). I've thought for a while that those traits weren't properly named, but I never thought to make the connection that their names should be swapped. Good idea there.:goodjob:

That gets me thinking - another pair I would switch would be Isabella (Spain) and Asoka (India). I think that Isabella should have the Organized trait, seeing as how the Spanish made one of the world's largest empires, whereas Asoka should have the Expansive trait, seeing as how India has been (along with China) one of the most densely settled areas of the Earth for millennia.

And speaking of China, shouldn't Mao also have Expansive instead of Organized (1.2 billion Chinese in 2006)? And Peter the Great should have Organized as well (Romanov empire spans 11 time zones).

You really got me thinking, now, about how many/most of civs that have the Expansionist trait really should have Organized (and vice versa). Let's see what Houman thinks, though...

13. Nightravn

Nightravn Chieftain

@bovinespy and Innocence - I have also had a problem with the expansive trait and organized traits having the effects that they have and agree with your proposition. I think actually switching the names which correspond with what each trait does would probably be the easiest and best implementation then we could go through the other leaders that it didn't fix and adjust accordingly. I will discuss this with Houman and the rest of the team.

14. Los Tirano

Los Tirano God-King

Why dont we just add the leaders mod? Extra leaders for every civ with new traits. This would allow people to play their favourite civs a little differently. I know i have trouble with huge empires overseas when i am spain.

Although perhaps spain doesnt merit the organized trait, i read in a history book thier economic practices overseas were described as a case of "massive financial mismanagement". i.e corruption of a near unparalleled scale. :lol:

I admit dissapointment when i realized this mod didnt have new leaders, even the pics on the leaders mod are good.

15. ibcoltscrew

ibcoltscrew Chieftain

Another "Stack Bug" ...
    I was the USA (Christian) and the Egyptian (Jews) and they had like 20+ units Stack in their Capital City... i was not able to spread my Religion... well, my Misionary was able to do a Pillage !!! not even able to Fortify or Spread my Chrisitian religion... the only option avalaible was Pillage and it was not working (thanks god cause it would be a bigger problem then).

I hope this report can help.

16. ibcoltscrew

ibcoltscrew Chieftain

I agree, better when we can get
    1. Modern Flag (espacially usa-russia-uk-germany-china...)
    2. New leader with Static LeaderHead ("improve performance")
    3. Personnaly, i would like to see more Civilization avalaible... like Canada, Australia, Mexico, Brazilia, Nazi Germany, USSR, Iran, Irak, Israel, Palestine, Vietnam, North and South Korea, Pakistan, Koweit, etc etc ...
    All i mean is i would like to see all the Modern Nation in the game, it's just fun to play with Flag and Counrty i like or hate... i have no opinion on Old Forgot Nation like Inca or Maya... this is just boring after 100 turn to deal with a perfect stranger... i like better dealing with Sadam Hussein :whipped: , Bush :hmm: , Putin :twitch: or even better Hitler :ar15: :devil:

17. zenspiderz

zenspiderz Just some bloke..

Some of the unique units seem to be weaker than the standard.

Example T34 UU for Russia is weaker than the standard tank despite historically being the most powerful tank of WW2.

Also the T84 is weaker than its predecessor the T72 !?

Checked out the cossack unit and that is no better than any other cavalry yet more expensive.

Despite this a good mod.

18. bovinespy

bovinespy Chieftain

Thanks for the reply. Switching the names for Exp/Org is a good start, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that a switch of the trait characteristics is also in the works.

19. bovinespy

bovinespy Chieftain

Thanks for the reply. Maybe in an absolute sense, the Spanish don't deserve the Organized trait, but look at the other civs with Org: China (Mao), India (Asoka), Rome, Japan, and the USA. Of the group, only Japan and the USA can be said to have relatively low levels of corruption (i.e. debilitating levels of waste that significantly promoted decentralization). And neither of those nations were able to put together an empire the size of Charles V/Philip II, not to mention other Expanionist civs (e.g. Victoria's England, Peter's Russia, and Genghis' Mongolia - but not Bismarck's Germany). IMHO, for a mod trying to emulate world history, the historical size of the empire a civ amassed should be a primary determinant of whether or not the civ gets the Org trait.

20. Nightravn

Nightravn Chieftain

Bovine - when I say switching the names I actually meant that the traits corresponding to them would be switched so those who have the expansionist trait would be the reduced maintance while those with organized would get the health bonus though they might need something else to help with this like maybe an extra happy to go along with the +3 health.