[mod] TOTAL REALISM 2.0

Its very strange. Somtimes there will be continuous wars, one after the other. But in other games there are periods of peace stretching a thousand years. Every civ should be modified at the game start to truly despise at least one other civ. Typically one that is close. Good examples include China & Japan, France & England, Spain & Aztecs and Arabia & all of Christendom. :lol:

@Ronin228 is the ninja still not working? I was disappointed when it didnt work in 2.0. Thought they would have corrected it.

@Ronin228 is the ninja still not working? I was disappointed when it didnt work in 2.0. Thought they would have corrected it.
this happen when you move assassin/ninja into enemy city and save/load game - then you must move assassin outside city and back in

This happens to me no matter what I do with the ninja. Even if I move him out and back into the city.

Yeah I have the same glitchJapan is one of my fav civs to play but I dont play them that much because of the ninja/asssian does not work . I have also tried the moving it in and out of a city(s)to try and get it to work but no avail.

I like the Japanese units the best, and I love playing Japan, but It's annoying that the Ninja doesn't work. Let me try another civ out...

Well lets hope they correct it. Heres something amusing, continuous wars with many civs. Mansa Musa sent the largest army of swordsmen i have ever seen against the flank of my advancing forces. Almost captured a newly acquired city, but a valiant force with a fifth of their number held them off in a deadly jungle battle. They retreated to a good spot. The shadow of the army that remains has been surrounded by one of my three armies, broken down to prevent them fleeing. No one is moving. Can see mercenary conquistadors in the top right, mercenary minutemen bottom right. Will hold off until reinforcements arrive. Its great that i can have spanish conquistadors leading my french musketeer armies. :hatsoff:

Attachments

• surrounded0000.JPG
    surrounded0000.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 236
Therapist said:
First off, good work knowing about DU(Depleted Uranium) ammunition and its use. Most people have no idea of the linkage to Gulf War Syndrome and its effects. I actually wrote a paper on it back in college so I cna back you up there.
Of course, as we now know thanks to the Metal Gear series, Gulf War Syndrome was actually caused by genetic experimentation involving Big Boss's "soldier genes" and the troops...

<ahem> Actually I was going to say depleted uranium, specifically U-238, was made famous as a Terran Marine upgrade in Starcraft. I imagine that's where 90% of ppl find out about it from. :)

@Lunar

I believe I was in college before the game came out, but that's cool. I was unaware that there were games out there with DU in it. Most of my "useless knowledge" comes from computer games......I for example have a vast array of knowledge of firearms from such games as JA and CS. Oh yeah, I also a gun nut too.

:mischief:

@ any Total Realism Team Member:

Could someone help explain why it appears that the "CITY RAIDER" promotion does not provide the strength which in comparison under the exact conditions, the "ATTACK PROMOTION" does when attacking the enemy city.
As we all know the strengths for attacking a city are only separated by 5% after three promotions. This fact would make one believe that having the city raider promotion, when attacking an enemy city, would improve ones chances of victory slighty more than having the "ATTACK STRENGTH" promotion. But as the attached screenshots show, this does not appear to be the case.

PRETTY PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHY THE CITY RAIDER PROMOTION APPEARS TO FALL SHORT OF ITS INTENDED DESIGN.

Please find attached to this post three screenshots which illustrat how it appears a waste of time to invest in the "CITY RAIDER" promotion, wnen the "ATTACK PROMOTION" appears to give more power when attacking a city than the CITY RAIDER promotion does under the exact situation.

To demonstrate this I saved a game I was playing, then for the purposes of this demonstration, announced war against Germany.

Please pay attention to a small stack of 2 Macemen and 1 Crusader. Next, pay attention to the lower left portion of the screen, in order to view the attack probabilites of each of the two Macemen.

When attacking the enemy city, the Maceman with the "ATTACK PROMOTION" gets 6.8 percent, while the Maceman with the "CITY RAIDER" promotion under the same conditions gets only 1.8 percent.

Is this a bug ?- or is there something I am missing.:(

This City Attack problem is not limited to Macemen; as I have noted it in other battles with other units.

Awesome Mod- Keep up da great work.:goodjob:

i hope the screenshots have been attached.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0034.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0034.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Civ4ScreenShot0036.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0036.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 120
Hey. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I appear to have run into a small graphical problem mid-game.

It was not like this early game and only occured sometime during the middle ages. Basically one save everything was normal, and then when I loaded up again, My fuscha unit flags (Rome) went to that of Catherine (orange - russia) with no symbol on the flag -- just a solid orange color. And the flags of catherine and almost every other country simply went to straight black with no symbol.

I am running the latest version of this mod - 2.02, and am also running the "Yet Another Unaltered Gameplay" mod. Latest version. See the attached images for before/after from the same game.

The second pic shows Cyrus (persia - normally white i believe) in the upper left and catherine (russia) in the upper right. My units are on the bottom.

I have saves that go back to before the graphical error, so I will try and repeat it.

EDIT: Oh my ... Therapist caught this one a few pages back... sorry to have missed it! I have the whiteflag patch installed, but am using a Radeon 9800XT 256mb card with the latest drivers, so i don't think it's out of date.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 110
Sorry to be double-posting here, but I had one other gameplay issue. :)

In my current game, where I am the only one who can produce early riflemen - revolutionary war era, forgot the name :blush: , and zepplins, etc. the mercenaries for hire are far in advance of my technology.

So I have enemies that are able to purchase riflemen and early tanks when no civilization can even produce them yet! Are the mercenaries conditional on the time-period or on the techs researched by the most advanced civilization?

Either way I think this could unbalance the game, because although the tanks are expensive, the riflemen are not too expensive... their cost seems relative to the cost of other units up for sale (tanks, bazookas, etc.)

So I have civilizations with macemen purchasing riflemen as mercs. Is there any way to fix this, or is it intended? It is not so bad in SP, but if someone can purchase a 24 Strength tank when most units (in the world) are in the 8-10 str range, this is overpowering.

Just wanted some input, thanks. :)

Los Tirano said:
I noticed Spain doesnt have a great number of units, but enough. At least it has more than Rome. Bigmeat could you provide a link on the terico, never heard of them.

I personally wonder if Zorag is a fan of civ, few of the reforms sound good, and involve changing the game a little too much. Uranium ammunition is used for its anti-vehicle properties as i understand it.

@Houman, my concern is with crusaders. The mujahid only require their religion and a temple whereas crusaders require the religion and a cathedral, which is very expensive and time consuming to build. This prevents a simulation of the crusades for me, because not enough crusaders can be built. Because of the requirements crusaders cannot be built in every city which isnt correct. Pope Urban II call to all Christians to retake the holy land attracted crusaders from all of christendom. Huge numbers adopted the cross as their symbol and the christian military orders, the knights which the unit reflects, came into being. A christian monastery would better reflect the establishment of the crusader orders, than a cathedral which is all about display. This would better facilitate the crusades and lead to a large number of crusaders. It also balances with the mujahid. I hope i have been convincing, and i sincerely hope you change it. I've been avoiding crusaders latley because they have become too much trouble, and it doesnt seem accurate.

gladly
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tercio

Ahah, i have heard of these units. They definately deserve to be included, exceptional soldiers that they were. "Tercios, consisting largely of professional soldiers with superior discipline and fighting spirit, were well known on the European battlefield for their nigh-invincibility in combat during the 16th and 17th centuries". Now thats a claim that couldnt be made without evidence! :trophy2:

Easy to make too, just blend pikemen and musketeer models. I would suggest they replace pikemen, since the change to full musketmen units occured later. What attributes would you suggest bigmeat? Since it was your idea originally.

@Amazing Game-
Hello- I am not part of the mod team and have only played the mod for a few days now- but I think I can help:
I believe the attack promotion- while giving you a great amount of attack bonus- also takes away a good amount of defense bonus/ I think its +15% attack and is it -5 or -10% on defense in plains/jungle/forest/hils..and so on,,,?
this would definately make it a tougher choice at city raider vs attack bonus- because I believe the city raider will still get his normal defense- while only getting the attack bonus when attacking a city- where as the attack promo kind of forces you to use these units purely offensively.

maybe a +25 vs pikemen, and some kind of -50 versus gunpowder units to represents them going obsolete

Check this out, Mongolians are getting pwned by Persians...

Persia launched a full campaign to eradicate them from the earth because earlier the Mongolians conquered about 98% of China

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 135
Sounds good, but perhaps not such a penalty against gunpowder units. -25 at most. Because you dont want them getting thrashed with ease. Make them fight for it, and have the potential to win if you use terrain well. Still being superb against melee units (includes pikemen) and cavalry (renowned for resisting charges) and we might have the tercios.

But someone still has to make it...

@Donkey Puncher, Ronin,
I will have a look into the assassin/Ninja.

@Amazing Game,
As Tharn already mentioned correctly, the Attack promotion gives negative bonus to defense. So its a sacrifice. While City Raider doesn't get any nerfs but the attack bonus is limited to cities. However according to your screenshots, this doesn;t make sense either. The City Raider 3 must have given you more than 15% attack rate. May you please send me the Save game to houmie1975@users.sourceforge.net ?

@Zaphod77 and Sovietof17,
Please download this attachment (flags.zip) and extract it into your Total Realism Folder and let me know about the result.

@Bigmeat, Los Toranos
Tercio sounds interesting and will be implemented in the next release. A mixture of Pikeman and Musketmans is no problem. They will have bonus vs Mounted units and probably Melee. I have to research about them a bit more. But one is for sure, Muskets were in 1500 still no match against Archers. Muskets were inaccurate. A good historical reference to this is the book of five rings by Miyamoto Musashi.

@Zaphod77
The mercs are bound to time rather than the highest developed technology. It has its advantages and disadvantages. Some love it to buy expensive mercs to save their empire in a last minute saving attempt. Others find it unrealistic. We need to do some more research about it and see if we can finetune it a bit more.

Top Bottom