1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[mod] TOTAL REALISM 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Houman, Jun 6, 2006.

1. purger30

purger30 Chieftain

What is with ninja assassin? They havent assassin abilities. Is this a bug???

2. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

@ Frog

Mirage sounds good. It will be added to the Warlord expansion. Regarding the Barbarian names, yeah maybe Gaulish names and Goth etc would be good...also White Hunnish and North Huns..etc

@Rebsiot,
    Thanks for the link and comments. I will have a look. :)

@Elit3,
    I hope you understand now how tech trading is working in this Mod. It is not like trading with apples. So be careful with whom you have open border agreement.

@Vespasian
    Rabbi cannot spread religion outside their borders. We realy have to work on a FAQ. Religions will change again a bit in next version. Regarding cie; some ships can break the ice such as work boats and destroyers. But not every ship shall be able going through it. Are you sure?

@Purger30, sorry that you have to wait, ICBMs are already fixed for the next version. We would release hopefully next week. With a great new Siege combat system. Oh yeah the Ninjas have a bug and is already fixed for the next patch. :)

@Everyone

1) Is someone here voluntering to help me with the FAQ? I will tell you what has been done and you make a nice structered FAQ. That would be a great help. Here in team is everyone busy with other stuff.

2) Was William the Conquerer French? I mean what shall we categorize Normany? And whats about the Gauls? French, German or maybe just as Barbarians? We needed anyway names for Barbarian generals...

3. purger30

purger30 Chieftain

Have you considered implementing a feature that will allowed selling a building in a city? It is very anoying that coal plant cannot be sold after I have constructed nuclear or hydro plant.

4. Vertico

Vertico Prince

I would add Jan III Sobieski (charismatic, militaristic), heridary rule, serfdom
    Unique unit for Poland - Winged Hussar (should have bonuses to attack on melee units, cavalry and gunpowder units.)
    Would be great to have Poland to play.

5. Hian the Frog

Hian the Frog TR Designer and XML

Houman,

I will look for names this afternoon. You will have a list that evening, i hope.

William the Conquerer. He was born as William the Bastard, the illigitimate son of the Duke of Nomandy. At that time, this Duchy was one of the two most powerfull of the Kingdom of France. The other one was the Duchies of Poitou and Aquitaine (sorry, french names). The Duchy was so powerfull that many minor battles occured between the Kings and William as the Kings tried to reduce its power (with few success at first). When the last King of Britain died, there was a dynastic problem between the Saxons and William. Each of them hope to be the next King and had serious claims on the throne. A third party also arised. The Norvegian Vicking, led by the famous Harald Hardrada, landed on the east cost and also claim the throne. Harold the Saxon first attacked the Norvegians and won a bloody battle. The great Harald Hardrada died (i suggest you to read more about this man, his life was really impressive) and the last major Vicking invasion was over. At the same time, William and his army, made of native soldiers and mercenaries from the rest of the Kingdom, Germany, Low Lands and Italy, crossed the Channel and landed near Hastings. As you already know, Harold the Saxon and his army went south to met the invaders. William won by an ingenious use of his cavalry despite a strong resistance of the impressive Housecarls. Harold was killed, as many men of his familly (the Godwinson). There ends the reign of the Saxon over Britain and began the Norman's one. All this occured in 1066.

The Duchy of Normandy was created in 911 by Charles III the Simple (or Plain) (879-929). It was a gift of the King of France to a Vicking leader named Rollon. This man had to protect the coasts and the river Seine against other Vicking invaders, to convert to Roman Christianism and to be loyal to the King. He received the title of Duke of Normandy and lands. Don't forget that Normandy means (in old french): Land of the North Men, so lands of the Vickings.... I hope you understand. Around 150 years later, despite mixed wedding, the Normans were the most dangerous soldiers of the Kingdom. Probably a rest of their Vickings tradition of warfare.

So, yes. William the Conqueror is French, as he is also English. He is the best link between these two countries. Because of his succesfull invasion, the Duke of Normandy, vassal of the French king, became King of Britain. There problems began....how a King of Britain, also Duke of Normandy, can be vassal of the French King ? For the next 900 years, France and England would be at war for the most trivial reasons... Sometimes one of the two countries was very close to destroy the other one. In 1904 began an alliance (which is still active but different than before) to stop their common ennemy: Germany.

The frog.

6. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

Houman. I would be honored to utilise my literary talents in writing an FAQ for this glorious mod.

Send me questions and answers. A few I can guess already, like 'Why is there no multiplayer', 'Why can't I trade techs', 'How do I use assasins', 'why can't I build rabbi' etc.

WarKirby

7. Hian the Frog

Houman,

Here a few names of leaders, sometimes true barb, others a bit civilized....

1) ALARIC I, Wisigoth King (395-410). Has sacked Rome.
    2) THEODORIC I the Wisigoth, Wisigoth King (418- 20 june 451). The greatest King of the Wisigoths. Died on Catalaunic Fields, fighting along with Roman and Frankish troops against Attila, the Scourge of God.
    3) HARALD III HARDRADA, Norvegian King (1015-1066). Died in battle against Harold the Saxon while invading England. Not a true barb but....
    4) THEODORIC I the Great, Ostrogoth King (474- 30 august 526). King of italy (493-526). Destroy the Herule kingdom of italy.
    5) CLOVIS, one the frankish king. Destroyed all other kings. Vanquished the last Roman troops. Destroyed (partly) the Burgonde Kingdom. Stopped an Alamans invasion (victory of Tolbiac). Conquered the Gallic part of the wisigoth kingdom. Convert to Roman christianism. First King of France....
    6) GENSERIC, Asdinges Vandal King. Invaded successfully North Africa. Conquered Carthage. (around 440)
    7) BABER II Zahir ed-din Mohammed Mirza (the Panther). King of Turkestan (1494-1506). Invaded India and became the first Great Moghol (1526-1530). A really really good warlord.
    4) ODOACRE, Herule king (?-493). Became King of Italy by destroying the rest of the Roman Empire. Killed by Theodoric the Great, the Ostrogoth

If you want more, or different kinds,....tell me. But be clear on what you want, don't forget that english is not my natural language.

The Frog.

8. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

@WarKirby
    That would be really great if you could help me with that. I will send yuo the questiosn and answers. :)

@Frog
    Interesting piece of History about William the Conq. Ok that should have been a surprise feature, but I guess I have to reveal it now. In Warlords:Total Realism will have unique military generals. It meant each nation will get a cultural diverse general with an own picture at unit introduction phase (like Great Prophet). An English won't get Rommel anymore etc. The list is not complete and it is hard fo find heros for some nations, I am not that familiar with. e.g. Zulus but I have taken their King line for that purpose.

Thanks for the Barbarian names, I have taken ALARIC I though for Germans. But the rests of them sound great.

Regards
    Houman

9. blue13326

blue13326 Chieftain

I just registered to let the people know that I tried their mods, and I liked yours a lot, so I don't know who you think I am. Then I read your ignorant postings (oh no, they're going to send me to Gitmo!), and they did crack me up, but peace, brother, just pointing out the irony, I wish the best to you and the Iranian people, and I appreciate the work you put into your mod.

10. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Troll, next time something cracks you up be careful you don't choke on it!

11. Anaztazioch

Anaztazioch Hit in the head too much

@ Vertico

Jan III Sobieski ? Why him ? Its like he was a good field marshall, took part in battles as king and won some.
    Winged Hussar ? What is that ? Polish citzens just named that heavy cavalary Hussars, simple 1 word. Poland had their "normal" knight units, and Hussars fist famopus battle was against Turks under Wieden (Austria Capitol) under King Jan III Sobieski command. But the age was like 1500+ad ? Cant recall. And I say Poland should have 2 types of leaders. 1 that was founding Poland or forming its early reputation. 2 that converted Poland from Renissance into Industrial age or stabilized its economy/sciance/military in crazy modern age. And for some characteristics about early kings :
    Mieszko I - founded Poland, converted to christianity, won under Cedynia vs Germans (Expansionist, Comercial)
    Bolesław Chrobry - First King of Poland, bought copse of assassinated
    Archbishop from Germany paying his weight in gold, also traded some artifacts. (Spiritual, Commercial)
    Kazimierz Wielki - He build a lots of forts, city walls and fortifications. Made some guard. (Militaristic, Indoustrious)
    Kondrad Mazowiecki - called for Teutonic Order to aid poland against pogan Russia (Noob, Spiritual, Militaristic)
    Jadwiga - She the King of Poland. Build first university in Poland in Kraków(nowdays its Jagielonian University), merried Władysław Jagiełło and united Poland whith Litvians, coverted Litvians to christianity. (Spiritual, Philosophical)
    Władysław Jagiełło - Raped Teutonic Order (Militaristic, Indoustrious)

And for new civ traits, can we have like Rampaging, or Ramping - gives 20% city attack to all units, but ur units does not recive defancive bonus exept armored and gunpowder.
    Scientific - giving 2 resarch points per city times era value : Stone 1, Classic 1.5, Middle 2, Reniesance 2.5, Indoustrial 3, Modern 4, Future 5.

12. purger30

purger30 Chieftain

Houman

Have you considered implementing a feature that will allowed selling a building in a city? It is very anoying that coal plant cannot be sold after I have constructed nuclear or hydro plant.

13. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Purger,

You are right about this. I wonder why they removed it from Civ. Let see what we can do. But it won't be in the next patch. I never played the game that far but from my understanding from the XML files, as soon as you build a 'clean' energy type it will automatically replace the coal plant's dirty energy. In other words it makes it obsolote. The only thing you can't do is selling the old plant to make money out of it. Can someone confirm this please?

Thanks
    Houman

14. Hian the Frog

Ok. Understood. Great idea. Tell me if you need some help. I could find many leaders in my books. Remember that i was a former soldier that study military history and tactics and strategies.... So, if i can help.
    I suggest you to take Harald III Hardrada as a Vicking general.

The Frog.

15. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

@Guys,

Unfortunatelly no new Civ at this time.

@Frog,

Sure that would be a great help. :)

@Next Vanilla Patch status 95%
    @WarLords: Total Realism status 60%

16. Hian the Frog

Houman,

So, you need names of great generals and leaders.
    Some questions:
    1) how many leaders needed by civs ?
    2) what are the civs yet finished (if some) ?
    3) how many leaders by time period ?
    4) when do you need your list of leaders ?
    5) Do you need only generals or can i add some admirals, kingdom/empire builders, explorators, conquistadors ?

As i have time to waste until the 4th of September, be quick if you want some help... after new work, new life, far away from wars and civils disorders.

The Frog.

17. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

@Frog,

1) About 10, if more even the better.
    2) Hard to say, let say none are really finished. But some perios of certain civs are already finished. :) But most civ just lack names.
    3) The first 3 shall be ancient, next 3 middle age, next 3 renaissance, next 3 modern etc.
    4) max 2 weeks :) Because I can update them anytime while taking care of other stuff. Since next Monday is public holiday in UK, I have a longer weekend and could work longer on the mod. Maybe we could deliver the mod in 14 days from now...
    5) You are free to add anything, since some empires didn't last that long anyway (Mali, Zulu etc)

Good night
    Houman

18. Hian the Frog

Houman,

Ok. Understood. Now that's clear enough for me. You will receive some lists days after days next week... I will began with the easiest civs: those of Europe and Asia. As you can suppose, it will be very difficult for some civs to find warlords (USA, Zulu, Mali,...). I will not create false leaders. I will let you do that and have the responsability ;) . I will also add some explorators, conquistadors, empire/kingdom builders.....

Last questions: can you give me the time limit of each time period ? i mean ancient begins in 4000 BC and ends ????
    If you can't i will try to not make mistakes.
    Do you need a kind of small description of the leaders ? ( for a civilopedia use for exemple)

The Frog.

19. Chamrin

Chamrin Chieftain

A country can and does good and bad, standing up for a country isn't standing up for anything. If you want to stand up for good, then do it, a government acts in self interest, stand to lead your country to good, not to follow other's agenda.
    Most arguments do not have exactly 2 sides. This assumption simply leads less than optimal solutions.

I have so many more comments I want to say about everyone's posts. However doing so would take many days. I wish people would stop trying to sound so sure of their position and try to just say what they know really is true. (Or just stay on topic).

Cham

20. carnivore

carnivore Digital Monkey

first , in the new patch , did you fix the speed problem , you know , the little balancing that is so needed for this to run good ?

second , are you planning to implent Dale mode into yours somehow ?

thanx