[Mod] True Culture Location and Territory Naming for the Giant Earth Map

coastal cities have been discussed since forever because their footprint isn't as productive as inland ones... hopefully mods will allows us to buff coastal tiles for maritime cultures someday

phoenicians would do great with this plus being able to build their haven without a tech requirement

A temporary workaround could be to give coastal city cultures a free tech, or to remove the tech requirement for havens/harbours. IMO Phoenicians shouldn't have to wait for Classical to get access to transport ships either.

you can assume auto-city renaming by position at some point.

Sounds daunting - including culture/era specific names? E.g. the location-name for the Mycenaean capital would be Mykene, but for the Greeks Corinth would make more sense.

Incidentally, if you or anyone is interested in modding city names, I'm looking into semi-realistic alternatives for the Olmecs and Harappans. None of their cities are known by their own names, so they are currently named after the modern day site of the ruins.

Somehow I forgot the Hittites in my SP maps... here's the second map again with the location of the Hittite capital Hattusa included. It's currently on the river (Kizilirmak/Marashantiya), but in reality it was nowhere near that river as it was situated within a great loop of that river. So it could also be moved 1 hex to the right/east, or the course of the river could be altered to make the loop bigger :) In that case the site could be 1 hex to the southeast.

SP 4 is the location for Byblos btw.

Spoiler :
HK_startpos_3.PNG

playing the last alpha with what i blieve would be somewhat typical settings for a random user

empire/16/old world/start outpost/8 neolithic/starting outpost for minors/average compensation/no loss for AI/limit choices/normal speed

on this timeline, i wasn't able to charm hatshepsut and ended up allied with elissa which proved a mistake when i followed her to a war with the egyptians and she thwarthed my memphis occupation after a perfect, all scout siege that didn't kill the single levy left after a rushed stack of 3 warriors took most of the population. that stack and another of 4 weren't a match for my couple of nubian archers supported with an axe and a spear that took care of them successively well outside the city

trying to have a semblance of typical gameplay, i did not cheat once (yet) and had to wait to meet both myceneans and babylonians for many turns to be able to trade with them. this time around i wasn't able to use religion to demand the west coast of the arabian peninsula so kerma had to do with only one attached territory. felt bad about taking the nok settlement, but it proved the right decision when phoenician expansion was set in motion

the only quirk i can see so far is that babs claimed giza and egypt the hanging gardens... otherwise, a perfect roleplay set up

if anyone wants to have a look, the attached save is one turn before the wheel in order not to loose the road bonus

most opponent personas are custom and available, or soon to be available on that thread

will keep playing after i get back home... i'm yet to test culture change mechanics. letting all that land go would be tough :)

started to enjoy it even more once i realized new major factions are to be born from splits... i was liberating cities and territories before jumping and never seeing new opponents :cringe:

anyway, era transitions when splits take place seem to end in the forever pending turn thingy. f5-f9 does allow to continue, though

I didn't know about f5-f9! So far I just abandoned the game when it got stuck, I never got much farther than a few turns into the classic era...

new alpha attached, should fix some of the hanging issues caused by the mod, and add more lines to the log to help track them

Code:
- bug fix: do not try to get compensation cost for a (null) improvement
- bug fix: re-code find/unset/set old/new Capital logic when changing Culture
- UI: darken a bit the layer over the Culture image on the selection screen when listing the Territories lost
- UI: make the font size less small on long list
- add monetary compensation for resource deposits in lost territories
- added even more output to log on Culture change to track possible issues
- add a few forgotten territories to Russia/USSR list

saving/reloading should fix the game issues, but if it's caused by the mod, you'll continue with a culture change half-finished.

I'm interested in the logs if they are caused by the mod.

You'll find the log in the Temporary folder of Humankind in Document, sort them by date and zip/attach the last one
upload_2021-10-28_12-4-15.png

To check if the mod is causing the issue, you can open them in your web browser, and check the first (by time stamp) "critical" line near the end of the file
upload_2021-10-28_12-7-11.png

if you click on "stack" it gives more details
upload_2021-10-28_12-8-44.png

If one of the white lines in the detail start with something like "Gedemon.TrueCultureLocation" instead of "Amplitude.", then the mod may be the issue, and I'd like to see the log if you're using the latest alpha.

Note that there are also a lot of colored lines tagged with [Gedemon], those are the mod's "normal" log line, grey, yellow or even red when I want to find them quicker.

In doubt, just post it, I'll check.

now playing latest build

hagmatana spawned against the northwestern border... that location leaves it with only 3 exploitable tiles. in my previous run with the older build, the same happened to the nok culture. this grey spawn points could be a problem for the AI in that they leave it with fewer yields... but then we know greys do not play like major do, so...

--

i'll post logs, promise. after i worked around the last one, all seemed relatively normal, but both new faction avatars were not the ones from their personas... other than that, they played like they usually do: giving away my precious war support points while being awful vassals :)

Well, this just happened: After switching to a new culture, some outposts were supposed to be lost, but then they remained in my possession, while the territory was switched to a minor empire.

Spoiler :
20211028225540_1.jpg

The log file seems to call me "Agamemnon", but it was me going from Persia to Umayyads. I can't upload html files, so not sure if this is the way to share the log.

Spoiler :
log 20211028.PNG

Something I also noticed this playthrough: Three empires did not progress or transcend after reaching 7 stars. And most empire seemed to prefer to transcend. I only saw one empire going to a new culture (Assyrians -> Huns). I accidentally left on the option to prevent AI getting severe territory losses, which I normally turn off.

Last edited:
the forum doesn't allows html upload, you'll need to zip them (zip or 7z files are allowed)

Ah, I see. Here it is:

Attachments

• Diagnostics (2021'10'28 @2046'03''411''')p2.7z
    107.1 KB · Views: 13
thanks, would you have the save too ? (you should not need to zip, the forum list was updated for .ctr files)

also experimental and I really, really, really need to resist trying to fully implement it as I think the turns time are already longer now, but...
Spoiler bad idea. forget it. :

upload_2021-10-29_0-23-23.png

thanks, would you have the save too ? (you should not need to zip, the forum list was updated for .ctr files)

Sadly no, I hadn't saved it and the last auto-save is already overwritten. I'll make sure to include it next time...

---

Lol I was wondering how many Empires the game could handle - is there any specific reason for having 16 currently?

there is a very large function with the value "16" hardcoded in it, for my experimental testing it was simpler for me to recompile the original DLL (ie replacing it) than trying to use a BepInEx plugin, as it would take some unknown time to rewrite it that way.

i'm happy to report that both phoenicians and myceneans split when upgrading into classical and there wasn't a single hiccup

i delayed until turn 60 to build a very large empire that had 3 original cities plus assur, babylon, memphis and kerma plus several territories...

now, i got to say i was expecting SEVERAL major faction to join considering the 4 capitals but it all went to a single vassal. i did not get to fully exterminate anyone this time around though

this run i set to off the option No Territory Loss for the AI

update:

another troublefree era jump and split both for me and the AI

Last edited:
My last playthrough lasted for a whopping 180 turns before I ran into trouble. Sadly, now my save won't load anymore and the autosaves 1-2 turns before seem stuck to be stuck i turn pending. See attached files.

Tbh my game was running out of steam anyway. I gave up my vast Mongol Empire to become the Ottomans. The list of territories I was about to lose was so long that I didn't notice Lydia was among them - which I suspect is an oversight after splitting Anatolia (see spoiler below for screenshot). Arguably, as a branch of the Turkic peoples, the Ottomans could have kept some of the eastern territories as well, like Transcaucasia, Parthia, Chorasmia, Transoxiana, etc. Keeping Dacia was a bit weird in this instance - historically accurate perhaps, but it was completely isolated from my core territories in Asia.

Spoiler :
20211030002217_1.jpg

I had a lot of fun! My run was: Assyrians => Huns (the Babylonians beat me to Persians) => Mongols => Ottomans

As the Assyrians, the Babylonians (pastel pink) beat me to the Persians, so I went for the Huns. I had to give up my cities and on transition, but one of my outposts was automatically upgraded to a city to become my capital - which wasn't in the territory I had preferred and I wasn't sure how the game decided which outpost to upgrade btw.

As the Huns, I built a vast steppe empire, only to lose over half of it when I became the Mongols (my capital in Orenburgum became the westernmost border, while I lost the Caucasus, Ucraina, Moscovia to Permia, Parthia and Media - which I felt I should not have lost at all. I reconquered most of my old empire and extended it. The surviving offshoot Hunnish empire eventually became the Polish (red), giving up Tobolium, Muscovia, Casanum and Media. I also destroyed a rival Mongol empire to the East, which had given up most of China that remained in the hands of the Zhou.

As the Huns and Mongols I was constantly bleeding money due to my large army, so I spend most of the time waging wars on my neighbours, occasionally taking territory, but mostly demanding reparations. My scientific progress was abysmal, but it didn't matter as long as my Mongol & Hunnish hordes dominated the battlefield. However, when I transitioned to the Ottomans, I was still in the late classical/early medieval techs and my Science income was terrible.

Maybe the compensation for giving up territory could also include a boost to Science? It would be a nice touch to see how much compensation you are getting on the culture selection screen - but that might not be easy, since giving up a large empire already crowds the screen with al the territories listed. Maybe it's better to describe which territories will be kept, rather than lost? Btw, I was sceptical about this compensation in the first place, but I must say it is a solid mechanism. The normal flow of the game tends to lead to stagnation influence-wise, as expansion and choosing civics become prohibitively expensive unless you have some aesthete bonuses. But thanks to the compensation, each transition provides an opportunity to invest in new civics and start expanding again, which really gives the sense of a vibrant, emerging culture bringing innovation and new energy in contrast to the old empire.

Anyway, as the Ottomans I wiped out most of the Ummayads (from Babylonians => Persians), who had a few Pikemen/Crossbows that posed a challenge to my Hunnish/Mongol hordes, but mostly they still had classical units that I could easily deal with. I also took some independent territory. However, then I ran into the Nubians, who controlled most of Africa and were in the early modern era. They besieged me in Memphis, Egypt, with an army full of Pikemen, Crossbows and some Knights. I lost most of my army and surrendered when my was support was near 0. They had a claim on Lydia (which I had taken with my Expansionist action), so I lost that again, and this also ruined my financially. Meanwhile the Mycenaeans (grey) had declared war after I took independent Thracia and made a port to "bridge" the Bosporus and now the Mycenaeans marched an army across to besiege the city in Cappadocia. While their army consisted of ancient units still, I had few troops left and was about to attempt a sortie, but I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to recover from my technological disadvantage and the defeat against the Nubians.

Some observations/thoughts:

I started with max 8 cultures in the Neolithic. Many cultures did not transition. For example, the Zhou became the Mongols in the medieval era, leaving much of their lands in the hands of a new Zhou empire. This empire got to early modern (industrial even) but did not adopt the Ming culture. The Mycenaeans controlled most of Europe and made it to medieval or early modern without changing culture. Same for the Harappans in India, the Nubians in Africa and the Olmecs in the Americas. The Hittites were still around while I was the Mongols. I took their cities for the purpose of becoming the Ottomans after the branched-off Huns beat me to claiming Polonia and transitioning to the Polish.

There were some exceptions:
Phoenicians => Carthagians => Ghanaians
Babylonians => Persians => Umayyads
Zhou => Zhou => Mongols

Perhaps it was due to my 8 culture limit in the neolithic or the Mycenaeans not changing culture, but I didn't see any of the early European cultures (Romans, Celts, Goths; English, Franks, Byzantines, Teutons, Norse). Of course the fundamental problem is that these cultures have no real predecessor in the Ancient era, same goes for others, e.g. the Japanese, Koreans, etc.

What happened in most games was that Huns and Mongols came from the early centres of civilisation (Middle East and China), while much of the history of Eurasia is characterised by successive waves of migrations/invasions from the steppes, rather than to the steppes (i.e. successive waves of Indo-Europeans, including Indo-Iranians and Indo-Aryans, Mongols and Turkic peoples all originating from the steppes). I feel the Hittites are the best place-holder culture for these Steppe peoples, but regions like Sub-Saharan-Africa and Noth America don't really have a fitting placeholder culture at all.

Attachments

• Diagnostics (2021'10'30 @1112'08''015''').7z
    18.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Ottomans Turn 180.ctr
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • auto-save 4285.ctr
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
thanks for the detailed feedback guys !

there must still be other territory missing in the Cultures list, I'll try to extract it by names instead of index for checking, as some have been moved/added since the list were made.

But I'm still unsure if we should use the list from the Culture maximum expansion, or a "core/starting territories" list leaving place to extension and conquest, as kind of a part of the concept (new Culture, "new" start).

A full list would work well with a "Stability" factor to determine if a territory is lost, and to whom (spawn a vassals, an ally, a neutral opponent or an enemy at war).

A "core" list could be used for multi-splits on change for large Empire (the newly spawned Empire keeping only the "Core" of the old Empire, the other territories lost being controlled by one new minor faction per city or by group of territories from another "core"

There is a compensation in science, but based on the lost territories output, it may not be high... Should complete one tech and give a bit of boost for the next one. There is maybe an issue with the overload being too low, I'm currently trying to check, same for the production compensation, it should be higher in the new capital.

There is a compensation in science, but based on the lost territories output, it may not be high... Should complete one tech and give a bit of boost for the next one.

There is maybe an issue with the overload being too low, I'm currently trying to check, same for the production compensation, it should be higher in the new capital.
I've checked the overload, it seems fine for science (you gain x5, x10 or x20 turns of the lost territories production depending on the compensation level chosen in the options, what's left should be used when you select the next research), but there is a function in game that reduce the overload for city construction to the minimal value between the overload and the city production per turn after applying the overload on the production queue.

Which means if you have a long production queue in your capital (and it doesn't change), it may get completed partially or fully, else the overload is lost. I'll try to patch that function to change its behavior.

The capital should be placed in the first owned territory of the list for any Culture when it's changed (which is when the old Capital is not in a territory of the new Culture)

Speaking of list of territories per Culture, here is the current one for checking.
Spoiler :
Code:
 Culture : Civilization_Era1_Phoenicia
 - Marocum
 - Numidia
 - Syria
 - Libya
 - Andalusia
 - Italia Suburbicaria
 - Italia Annonaria
 - Occitania

Culture : Civilization_Era1_EgyptianKingdom
 - Aegyptus

Culture : Civilization_Era1_HittiteEmpire
 - Cappadocia

Culture : Civilization_Era1_Babylon
 - Mesopotamia

Culture : Civilization_Era1_Assyria
 - Assyria

Culture : Civilization_Era1_HarappanCivilization
 - Indus
 - Ganges
 - Maharastra

Culture : Civilization_Era1_MycenaeanCivilization
 - Graecia
 - Illyria
 - Thracia

Culture : Civilization_Era1_Nubia
 - Sudania
 - Abyssinia
 - Somalia
 - Ngbandia

Culture : Civilization_Era1_ZhouChina
 - Planum Sinense
 - Flumen Flavum
 - Flumen Margaritarum
 - Sichuan

Culture : Civilization_Era1_OlmecCivilization
 - Guatemala
 - Mexicum
 - Columbia
 - Yucatania
 - Chihuahua
 - Texia
 - Guiana
 - Peruvia
 - Amazonia

Culture : Civilization_Era2_RomanEmpire
 - Italia Suburbicaria
 - Italia Annonaria
 - Illyria
 - Graecia
 - Occitania
 - Aragonia
 - Sardinia

Culture : Civilization_Era2_Persia
 - Persia
 - Media
 - Afgania
 - Indus
 - Mesopotamia
 - Assyria
 - Cappadocia
 - Gedrosia

Culture : Civilization_Era2_MayaCivilization
 - Guatemala
 - Yucatania
 - Columbia

Culture : Civilization_Era2_MauryaEmpire
 - Ganges
 - Bengala
 - Indus
 - Maharastra

Culture : Civilization_Era2_Huns
 - Voronegia
 - Orenburgum
 - Ciscaucasia
 - Omium
 - Chorasmia
 - Kazachia

Culture : Civilization_Era2_Goths
 - Suecia
 - Polonia
 - Ucraina
 - Baltica

Culture : Civilization_Era2_CelticCivilization
 - Neustria
 - Hibernia
 - Caledonia
 - Britannia
 - Occitania
 - Castella

Culture : Civilization_Era2_Carthage
 - Numidia
 - Marocum
 - Sardinia
 - Andalusia

Culture : Civilization_Era2_AncientGreece
 - Graecia
 - Illyria
 - Thracia
 - Dacia
 - Cappadocia

Culture : Civilization_Era2_AksumiteEmpire
 - Abyssinia
 - Somalia
 - Hidiazum
 - Sudania

Culture : Civilization_Era3_Vikings
 - Norvegia
 - Suecia
 - Finnia
 - Kola
 - Finmarchia
 - Lapponia
 - Islandia
 - Groenlandia

Culture : Civilization_Era3_UmayyadCaliphate
 - Syria
 - Assyria
 - Mesopotamia
 - Hidiazum
 - Arabia
 - Media
 - Persia
 - Afgania
 - Indus
 - Aegyptus
 - Libya
 - Numidia
 - Marocum
 - Andalusia

Culture : Civilization_Era3_MongolEmpire
 - Mongolia Ulterior
 - Transbaicalia
 - Mongolia Citerior
 - Manchuria
 - Territorium Maritimum
 - Desertum Gobium
 - Tarim
 - Altai
 - Kazachia
 - Omium
 - Parthia
 - Chorasmia
 - Orenburgum
 - Tomium

Culture : Civilization_Era3_MedievalEngland
 - Britannia
 - Caledonia

Culture : Civilization_Era3_KhmerEmpire
 - Cambosia
 - Vietnamia
 - Thailandia

Culture : Civilization_Era3_HolyRomanEmpire
 - Germania
 - Italia Annonaria
 - Batavia
 - Polonia
 - Danubia

Culture : Civilization_Era3_GhanaEmpire
 - Mauretania
 - Malia
 - Sahara
 - Beninum
 - Nigritania

Culture : Civilization_Era3_FrankishKingdom
 - Neustria
 - Occitania
 - Italia Annonaria
 - Batavia

Culture : Civilization_Era3_Byzantium
 - Thracia
 - Dacia
 - Cappadocia
 - Assyria
 - Syria
 - Graecia
 - Illyria
 - Danubia
 - Aegyptus

Culture : Civilization_Era3_AztecEmpire
 - Mexicum
 - Chihuahua
 - Yucatania

Culture : Civilization_Era4_VenetianRepublic
 - Italia Annonaria
 - Illyria

Culture : Civilization_Era4_TokugawaShogunate
 - Iaponia Boreales
 - Iaponia Australes
 - Formosa
 - Esonia

Culture : Civilization_Era4_Spain
 - Castella
 - Aragonia
 - Andalusia
 - Mare Caribaeum
 - Guiana
 - Columbia
 - Guatemala
 - Mexicum
 - Canariae Insulae
 - Azores
 - Philippinae

Culture : Civilization_Era4_PolishKingdom
 - Polonia
 - Ucraina
 - Baltica
 - Transcaucasia

Culture : Civilization_Era4_OttomanEmpire
 - Cappadocia
 - Assyria
 - Graecia
 - Illyria
 - Dacia
 - Mesopotamia
 - Syria
 - Aegyptus
 - Thracia
 - Lydia

Culture : Civilization_Era4_MughalEmpire
 - Ganges
 - Indus
 - Maharastra
 - Bengala
 - Afgania
 - Dravidia
 - Odisa

Culture : Civilization_Era4_MingChina
 - Flumen Margaritarum
 - Planum Sinense
 - Flumen Flavum
 - Sichuan
 - Manchuria
 - Kiangnanum

Culture : Civilization_Era4_JoseonKorea
 - Corea

Culture : Civilization_Era4_IroquoisConfederacy
 - Massachusetta
 - Lacus Magni

Culture : Civilization_Era4_Holland
 - Batavia
 - Antillae
 - Guiana
 - Cape
 - SriLanca
 - Sumatra
 - Iava
 - Borneum
 - Celebis
 - Papua

Culture : Civilization_Era5_ZuluKingdom
 - Cape
 - Zimbabua

Culture : Civilization_Era5_Siam
 - Birmania
 - Thailandia
 - Cambosia

Culture : Civilization_Era5_RussianEmpire
 - Moscovia
 - Novogardia
 - Transcaucasia
 - Ucraina
 - Voronegia
 - Orenburgum
 - Casanum
 - Nenetsia
 - Nova Zembla
 - Chorasmia
 - Kazachia
 - Omium
 - Tobolium
 - Ienisea
 - Iamalia
 - Altai
 - Tomium
 - Tungusca
 - Taimyr
 - Mongolia Ulterior
 - Lena
 - Manchuria
 - Territorium Maritimum
 - Amur
 - Iana
 - Magadanum
 - Colyma
 - Cisbaicalia
 - Esonia
 - Camtschatca
 - Tschucoticus
 - Mare Beringianum
 - Chatanga
 - Permia
 - Transbaicalia
 - Biarmia
 - Crasnoiarium
 - Ciscaucasia

Culture : Civilization_Era5_Mexico
 - Mexicum
 - Guatemala
 - Yucatania
 - Chihuahua
 - Texia

Culture : Civilization_Era5_Italy
 - Italia Suburbicaria
 - Italia Annonaria
 - Libya
 - Abyssinia
 - Somalia

Culture : Civilization_Era5_Germany
 - Germania
 - Danubia
 - Polonia
 - Baltica

Culture : Civilization_Era5_FrenchRepublic
 - Neustria
 - Occitania
 - Antillae
 - Guiana
 - Numidia
 - Marocum
 - Sahara
 - Beninum
 - Nigritania
 - Malia
 - Tzadia
 - Ngbandia
 - Congo
 - Madagascaria
 - Vietnamia
 - Melanesia
 - Terra Nova
 - Ungava
 - Laboratoria
 - Keewatin
 - Syria

Culture : Civilization_Era5_BritishEmpire
 - Britannia
 - Caledonia
 - Hibernia
 - Ungava
 - Laboratoria
 - Baffin
 - Massachusetta
 - Carolinae
 - Lacus Magni
 - Keewatin
 - Saskatchewan
 - Nunavut
 - Kitlineq
 - Columbia Britannica
 - Athabasca
 - Dene
 - Aegyptus
 - Abyssinia
 - Kenia
 - Zambia
 - Zimbabua
 - Naimbia
 - Cape
 - Mesopotamia
 - Arabia
 - Indus
 - Maharastra
 - Ganges
 - Bengala
 - Australia Occidentalis
 - Terra Reginae
 - Australia Septentrionalis
 - Australia Australis
 - Cambria Australis
 - Te Ika-a-Maui
 - Te Waipounamu
 - Cambosia
 - Tasmania

Culture : Civilization_Era5_AustriaHungary
 - Danubia
 - Illyria

Culture : Civilization_Era5_AfsharidPersia
 - Persia
 - Media
 - Afgania
 - Parthia
 - Chorasmia
 - Mesopotamia
 - Arabia
 - Gedrosia

Culture : Civilization_Era6_USSR
 - Moscovia
 - Novogardia
 - Transcaucasia
 - Ucraina
 - Voronegia
 - Orenburgum
 - Casanum
 - Nenetsia
 - Nova Zembla
 - Chorasmia
 - Kazachia
 - Omium
 - Tobolium
 - Ienisea
 - Iamalia
 - Altai
 - Tomium
 - Tungusca
 - Taimyr
 - Mongolia Ulterior
 - Lena
 - Manchuria
 - Territorium Maritimum
 - Amur
 - Iana
 - Magadanum
 - Colyma
 - Cisbaicalia
 - Esonia
 - Camtschatca
 - Tschucoticus
 - Mare Beringianum
 - Chatanga
 - Permia
 - Transbaicalia
 - Biarmia
 - Crasnoiarium
 - Ciscaucasia

Culture : Civilization_Era6_USA
 - Massachusetta
 - Carolinae
 - Florida
 - Lacus Magni
 - Mississippia
 - Texia
 - Magnae Planities
 - Dacota
 - Yucatania
 - Nivata
 - Oregonia
 - Chihuahua
 - Haida Gwaii
 - Kenai
 - Insulae Aleutiae
 - Alasca

Culture : Civilization_Era6_Turkey
 - Cappadocia
 - Assyria
 - Lydia

Culture : Civilization_Era6_Sweden
 - Suecia
 - Permia

Culture : Civilization_Era6_Japan
 - Iaponia Boreales
 - Iaponia Australes
 - Formosa
 - Esonia

Culture : Civilization_Era6_India
 - Ganges
 - Maharastra
 - Indus
 - Bengala
 - Dravidia
 - Odisa

Culture : Civilization_Era6_Egypt
 - Aegyptus
 - Sudania

Culture : Civilization_Era6_China
 - Planum Sinense
 - Flumen Flavum
 - Flumen Margaritarum
 - Sichuan
 - Manchuria
 - Desertum Gobium
 - Tarim
 - Tibetum
 - Casmiria
 - Hainania
 - Amdo
 - Kiangnanum

Culture : Civilization_Era6_Brazil
 - Brasilia Australis
 - Caatinga
 - Pantanal
 - Amazonia

Culture : Civilization_Era6_Australia
 - Cambria Australis
 - Australia Occidentalis
 - Terra Reginae
 - Australia Septentrionalis
 - Australia Australis
 - Te Ika-a-Maui
 - Te Waipounamu
 - Cambosia
 - Tasmania

I think I'd prefer a small "core/starting territories" list, right now the list seems to be a mix though, with for example the Goths confined to the regions before the fall of the Western Roman Empire, while the Dutch can "inherit" a colonial empire.

There are some exceptions when larger empire can be inherited though. The Byzantines can "replace" the Eastern Roman Empire and there are others like Franks => French, English => British, Teutons => Germans.

If you opt for "core" territories, there is the question of what is considered the proper starting territory. Do the Franks start in France where their empire was based, or in Germany where they came from originally? Same for the English, do you consider them Anglo-Saxons from northern Germany/Denmark, or do they start in England? And if they start in England, which culture would be their "historically accurate" predecessor? Do the Ottomans arise from Anatolia or Central Asia, etc?

Cultures without a a capital territory, like the Celts, could have more territories. But maybe you should only get to keep one of these, as you are just one of the several Celtic tribes.

I can also imagine having several lists to give different options: a "strict" one, where you need one specific territory, a "lenient" one where you can also have an adjacent territory instead (e.g. Romans require southern Italy, but you can also become Romans if you only have northern Italy) and an "imperial" one, where you inherit territories based on the maximum expansion of the culture.

I'll go over the list btw and make some suggestions depending on the preferred mode of inheritance. I can try to post it in the right format too.

---

On the Science bonus: My Mongol empire had mostly outposts of course and my Science output was pretty bad. So maybe I got little compensation for that. While I was doing fine as the Mongols, when I became the Ottomans my lack of advanced units was a severe disadvantage. I had just conquered the cities of a more advanced empire and those were my new core territories - it would be cool if that was somehow taken into account.

Top Bottom