[MOD] Vampire: The Masquerade Mod

Lplate

Esus (Allegedly)
Hi,

So far I've only worked on one mod for Civilization, which was to add a new fantasy civilization to RifE. With the end of that project almost in sight, I thought I'd start thinking about a more ambitious project to follow up with.

My plan is to try to create a Civ Mod inspired by White Wolf's Vampire: The Masquerade. I don't think that there's a mod out there focused on competing vampiric civilizations.

Old, experienced Kindred (vampires) are the most powerful units in the game. However, older, experienced kindred are more likely to develop debilitating flaws (go crazy), try to assert their independence from a given Civilization/found their own Civilization or seek to retire from all involvement in kindred affairs.
All kindred are created as Neonates and assigned a clan. They can only upgrade to Ancillae, Elders, Methuselahs if they have experience, age and the right techs have been developed.
The number of Kindred units that can be created is limited by the population of the civilizations' cities.
The challenge in the mod would therefore be to balance creating a strong kindred force and being able to keep control over it.

Racial Promotions
Mortal units - Unlimited number for any civ but can not gain experience. Barbarian mortal units would only exist for a limited number of turns.
Lupines - Werewolf units. Only available to barbarian. Regenerate and have access to number of lupine specific promotions.
Mage - Only available to barbarian. Don't gain xp from combat but continuously accumulate xp over time. Have access to a number of mage specific promotions (allowing spells)
Kindred Clan - The number of these units that any civ can have is linked directly to their city's populations and Civics. Each kindred unit has access to different first level Discipline promos based on particular clan (e.g. Protean, Animalism and Fortitude for Gangrel) and different penalties (e.g. chance to Frenzy (become Enraged) if Brujah, chance to become Held if Toreador). Continuously gain xp and also gain xp through combat. Certain promos require xp, technology and age. Clan is assigned on unit creation based on Clans available in that city and selected Civics. Some Civics limit units created to a particular clan, some will allow selection of the clan type and some will assign a clan randomly. Kindred which kill Mortals heal a little. Kindred which kill Lupines/Magi will possibly have other effects. Kindred which kill other Kindred do not heal, unless they have the Diabolist promotion.
Ghouls - Don't continuously gain xp. Can gain xp through combat. Have access to some Discipline promos (Potence, Fortitude). Default race for Workers. Also used for some Warriors. Lose health if outside own cultural borders. If outside cultural borders but on a tile with fellow civ kindred (who has enough health), then the kindred loses a smaller amount of health but the ghoul doesn't lose any.

Promotions
Apart from the Racial promotions, there would be promotions based on Disciplines. These would either provide a continuous benefit or permit spending blood to trigger an effect such as wolf claws(analogous to casting of a spell at the cost of some health). There would be lots of insanity promotions relating to the degradation of the vampire's control over the beast, which would be gained as the vampires age or engage in Diablerie. The Diabolist promotion would allow vampires to take a Discipline promotion from defeated vampires but at the risk of gaining another insane promotion. Blood bond would be a hidden promotion, which would trigger a unit to defect if it ever attacks/is attacked by a vampire from the clan to which it is bound. Frenzy (Enraged) and Rotshreck (Held) could also be triggered by hunger or combat. Kindred generation could also provide bonuses but I need to work out the basis on which I'd assign this to the units on creation.

Dynamic Maps
Kindred are parasites living off human civilization. Unless they have the right technologies, they are limited to founding their cities where there are already human cities/towns.
Kindred can influence the development of human cities but this is a slow process.
Map will change as human cities grow. They will also change as human civilizations go to war - changing landscapes, destroying cities or discover new continents (new cities).

Pollution/Health
Pollution relates to how aware and unaccepting the human population is of vampires. The more vampires (clan branches) there are, the more of a backlash there will be from mortals.
Health equates to hiding the presence of vampires from the mortals (e.g. Masquerade buildings) or else gaining acceptance for vampires among the mortals (e.g. Vampire wannabe cults).

Civics/Religion examples
Sabbat - Allows faster unit production and allows more neonate kindred per city population point. Increased pollution.
Camarilla - Increased production. Allows masquerade buildings which increase health.
Inconnu - More Great People. More expensive unit production. Reduced pollution. Pre-requisite to achieving a Golconda victory.
Anarch Free State - More happiness. Kindred produced have a random Kindred Clan promotion from any clan in play.
Primogen Council - Extra happiness for each Clan Branch building in a city, provided that a kindred unit from that clan who is old enough to have primogen status is resident.
Principalites - Player can select a unit's clan when it is built, based on the clans available in the city

---

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions for this, I'd be glad to hear them as I'm only in the early brainstorming stage.

---

Obviously, such a mod would rely heavily on use of White Wolf trade marks. I won't get into the nitty gritty work on the mod until I hear back from White Wolf and finish up my first mod, so there's time to consider any suggestions that anyone has for the mod.

interesting ideas, but you should probably ask a moderator to move this thread to
"FfH2 Modmods, Scenarios, and Maps" subforum

interesting ideas, but you should probably ask a moderator to move this thread to
"FfH2 Modmods, Scenarios, and Maps" subforum

Someday, I will start a thread in the right place. Today, obviously, was not that day. Could someone move this to where it belongs? thanks

Sweet idea. I am looking forward to it. A few notes:

The different clan weaknesses need to balanced. I can totally see the Brujah becoming enraged and the Toreador being held, but what about less noticeable weakness like the Tremere or something that might be more difficult to come up with a "crunchy" weakness for the Nosferatu for example. Any other clan would have to have a weakness that is comperable to losing control of a vampire unit

You may want to play with defender selection as well. Civ generally assigns the best defender to defend against attacks. I could imagine in your game that the best defender will, in general, be an elder vampire of some sort. Having younger vampires be able to attack elders straight on sort of runs against some of WW's lore. It may be possible to assign defenders based on a the general age, or level, or something so that you don't have one turn old vampires assulting 400 turn old ones. At least not in general.

At the same time, the rarity of the vampire units may make it difficult for a civ that gets a bad beat in some form to come back.

Love the human section with the human nations going to war and such. Awesome.

The different clan weaknesses need to balanced. I can totally see the Brujah becoming enraged and the Toreador being held, but what about less noticeable weakness like the Tremere or something that might be more difficult to come up with a "crunchy" weakness for the Nosferatu for example. Any other clan would have to have a weakness that is comperable to losing control of a vampire unit
Clan weaknesses will take a bit of thought. Some weaknesses might be tied to the clan branches rather than the specific units. If the Brujah chance to go into Frenzy is too underpowering compared to the others, I could have a second Weak Brujah unit created whenever one is built to reflect the Brujah spamming out a few childer in the hopes that the Prince would have to accept some of them.

You may want to play with defender selection as well. Civ generally assigns the best defender to defend against attacks. I could imagine in your game that the best defender will, in general, be an elder vampire of some sort. Having younger vampires be able to attack elders straight on sort of runs against some of WW's lore. It may be possible to assign defenders based on a the general age, or level, or something so that you don't have one turn old vampires assulting 400 turn old ones. At least not in general.
You're absolutely right. The elder vampires would use the mortals and neonate kindred as defensive cannon fodder. When attacking a city all the weaker defensive units would get killed before the eldest kindred got directly involved.

Top Bottom