[MOD][WARLORDS] ViSa Modpack

wasn't being critical, was being humorous.
note smilie wink --> ;)
note smilie rolleyes --> :rolleyes:
note 2nd para defending, nay urging, them to take as long as needed

sometimes it doesn't come out right when you type.
Sorry, my bad.

I do use the 4th seady map. But it has 18 civs "only" and also "only" city radius 2. What I#d like to do is use that map with 24 civs and city radius 3.
I don't know about the number of civs, but you can change the options during a game that way:
1) Go in WorldBuilder
2) Save it
3) Edit it with a text editor and change the options as you please. (In your case add Option=GAMEOPTION_CITY_PLOTS_RADIUS_EXTENDED)
4) Reload it and continue your game

It should work (though I won't give your money back if it doesn't ;-))

First I want to say that this mod is great and I have played couple of games and it works fine all the time :goodjob:

..but there is this problem that I dont know what to do about :sad:

I can never raze city to the ground although "I DO NOT mark x in the box that says no city razing"

..my friend has this same problem, is there something that I can do to make it right ?

the interface issue has been discussed several times in this thread. the common solution is to uninstall, delete ViSa mod folder, delete cache, reinstall 2.0 full, then 2.1 patch

Thankyou for the promt reply. I had the cache clear when I installed it :crazyeye: . The other computer always has troubles displaying the advanced in-game interfaces that come with some mods, but all other components of those mods trun out ok. Ill try it again in the exact way suggested. I know with Amra's I have to try and get it back to default in-game play interface before I could have the Mod playable on that PC. With this Mod I would have no clue how to do it, so I hope this will work...(crosses fingers) :nuke:

Alright, one suggestion, one question & a couple of comments....

1) Would it be possible (without undue extra coding) to have city radii start at 2, but increase sometime around the industrial era to 3? I think this would more accurately mimic the actual expansion of metropolis areas from relatively small areas to the sprawl they currently are. I think the trick would be to get the AI to understand and balance city placement early in the game. Although there's regularly a few unworked tiles between my cities in standard city radius mode that would conveniently become available to work later in the game.

2) My current game - Prince, Marathon, Large, 16 civs, Full of Resources script - was chugging along quite well in tech progression early in the game. I had tech trading off & everyone was maybe even a bit behind going into medieval era techs. General research time was running around 10-15 turns for me on 50% research rate. However, since completing my semi-beeline to Civil Service, the techs have been coming fast and furious. Optics in 3 turns, Drama in 2. Now, this may be due to the abundance of resources, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions as to the issue. I'm leaning towards modding the mod a bit to make medieval and later era techs 2-4 times more expensive to give more time in eras.

BTW, full of resources can make for some fun Visa games! This one has fair resources, but not maxed out with good, favorable expansion terrain for virtually every civ. I turn on raging barbs, add a few barb cities at the start & animals everywhere. Then I give every civ 2 archers & 2 axemen to offset the barb explosion. Makes for some fun stuff early on & lots of city ruins around the map. The extra archers & axemen really keep AI civs in the game though. I had tried this quite a bit without the extra units & often saw 5-7 civs fall to the barbs early on in the game.

On the Better AI front, I guess I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. I'd figured on just merging two .dll files, not understanding that the source code comprised a whole lotta little files. Guess this is a bit out of my league. My understanding is that Visa 3.0 will have the most recent Better AI incorporated, but there won't be lots of little updates to Visa every time Better AI issues an update. Is this correct?

Woohoo! My 5 year anniversary on CivFanatics! (for this login in any case...)

First I want to say that this mod is great and I have played couple of games and it works fine all the time :goodjob:

I can never raze city to the ground although "I DO NOT mark x in the box that says no city razing"

..my friend has this same problem, is there something that I can do to make it right ?

there was a prob with city razing w/ one of the releases, but the 2.1 patch has it corrected. do you have the 2.1 patch installed?

also, you cannot raze the last city of a civ. this is a vanilla issue, nothing to do with the mod.

BTW, full of resources can make for some fun Visa games!
What is this "Full of Resources" thing and how does one use it?

ERLoft said:
Your 5th year anniversary....and your 50th post. :dance:

PS. Just so you know, your anniversary isn't actually official until Dec 31st. :p

the interface issue has been discussed several times in this thread. the common solution is to uninstall, delete ViSa mod folder, delete cache, reinstall 2.0 full, then 2.1 patch

maybe discussed several time but it is still around ...

I had the no interface issue , after trying all the above, updating my ATI drivers, rolling back drivers , ... nothing helped.

I gave up and install Total Realism and played it a bit.

I 've recently come back to VISA and saw the REGFIX patch, applied it, and now the no interface issue is simply gone ... not sure the REGFIX did the trick, but it is gone and I've done nothings else ... this is so weird!

What map script do you recommend I use in combination with Visa? I heard smart map doesn't work so well in warlords?

What is this "Full of Resources" thing and how does one use it?:p

What map script do you recommend I use in combination with Visa? I heard smart map doesn't work so well in warlords?

Full of Resources is likely the best map script to inherit the SmartMap legacy. Surt, the developer of SmartMap burnt out in all likelyhood & hasn't updated his script since August or so. I found out he is/was a CompSci student at the University of Georgia, but never succeeded in contacting him. I'd love to see SmartMap made Warlords comptatible, but doing so is too far out of my experience for me to pull off.

Full of Resources is very flexible, on the style, terrain and loads of starting options that even SmartMap didn't have. You can add units - with options for human only, all, and the number of units of each type. You can also do the same for resources. Not only can you set the overall level of land and sea resources separately, you can put copper inside the start area for every civ. Or horses. Or whatever. Up to like 6 resources can be fiddled with individually. The fun stuff is starting with wild animals and pre-established barb cities! Lots of fun, that is :)

In any case to use the map scripts, download them from HERE.

Unzip them into your \Warlords\Public Maps folder. If you unzip them all at once, they'll create their own subfolder. In that case, simply select your \Warlords folder.

Once unzipped to the Public Maps folder, the scripts should be accessible from the Custom Game option.

Any tentative date on the new patch to this amazing MOD? I can't wait to play an integrated Genetics MOD :)

Well the G Era guys have done 3 updates to their mod since ViSa v2.1 was released....and I still don't have their latest source code :(

Ok thanks for your help guys

I gonna to explain my situation and try to be understable (english is not my mother tongue and my english level is very bad :cry: )

First i tried again ddl the mod my last attemps was here : http://keldath.family-veldman.com/ to the download page i selected Downloads *** ViSa 2.0

I use Internet explorer 6.0

After that i tried open the visa.exe by double click, so i've a message "checking integrity MD5" then "this archive is corrupted"

So i decided change my method i tried to open visa.exe with winrar, at first i chosen "test" but winrar crashed approximately to 26% (problems found in the sound files inside diplomacy folder)

I tried something else after. To extract visa.exe with winrar, finally i obtained 447 files corrupted. I've never seen this before :confused:
you can show them to http://rapidshare.com/files/6311334/List.txt (pass: visa )

I clarify i'm a big downloader , when files are corrupted i resume but here i ve got beaten my personnal record (15 times :goodjob: )

So i'm asking which extractor i must use for extract this mod ?

This Mod works great on one computer but on the other the interface graphics dont show up. How can I modify it back to normal without messing up the mod?

The files on my website, the Alternate one, should work for you....or it simply is a problem on your end somehow as over 2000 downloads can't all be corrupt ;)

2 questions:

- is it somehow possible to use the 3 field city radius for scenarios as well (not just custom game)?

- does the ViSa dll allow for more then 18 civs?

I love the ViSa mod, but would like it even more when I could play 24 civs with extended city radius on an earth map or such. ^^

We don't 'do' scenarios or maps or more than 18 civs at this point.

As stated earlier, that is fixed in V2.1 for sure :)

Alright, one suggestion, one question & a couple of comments....

1) Would it be possible (without undue extra coding) to have city radii start at 2, but increase sometime around the industrial era to 3? I think this would more accurately mimic the actual expansion of metropolis areas from relatively small areas to the sprawl they currently are. I think the trick would be to get the AI to understand and balance city placement early in the game. Although there's regularly a few unworked tiles between my cities in standard city radius mode that would conveniently become available to work later in the game.

2) My current game - Prince, Marathon, Large, 16 civs, Full of Resources script - was chugging along quite well in tech progression early in the game. I had tech trading off & everyone was maybe even a bit behind going into medieval era techs. General research time was running around 10-15 turns for me on 50% research rate. However, since completing my semi-beeline to Civil Service, the techs have been coming fast and furious. Optics in 3 turns, Drama in 2. Now, this may be due to the abundance of resources, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions as to the issue. I'm leaning towards modding the mod a bit to make medieval and later era techs 2-4 times more expensive to give more time in eras.

BTW, full of resources can make for some fun Visa games! This one has fair resources, but not maxed out with good, favorable expansion terrain for virtually every civ. I turn on raging barbs, add a few barb cities at the start & animals everywhere. Then I give every civ 2 archers & 2 axemen to offset the barb explosion. Makes for some fun stuff early on & lots of city ruins around the map. The extra archers & axemen really keep AI civs in the game though. I had tried this quite a bit without the extra units & often saw 5-7 civs fall to the barbs early on in the game.

On the Better AI front, I guess I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. I'd figured on just merging two .dll files, not understanding that the source code comprised a whole lotta little files. Guess this is a bit out of my league. My understanding is that Visa 3.0 will have the most recent Better AI incorporated, but there won't be lots of little updates to Visa every time Better AI issues an update. Is this correct?

The coding for the OPTIONAL, which is unique to ViSa, City Radius is tremendous so the odds of us finding a way to change it in the middle of a game is next to impossible.

As noted alot in this thread, the techs past Gunpowder are not balanced but it will happen after/with the G Era.

Blake's BetterAI will be updated as we update ViSa, but ViSa will not see an update from ONLY the BetterAI so we may lag behind an update or two.

Full of Resources is likely the best map script to inherit the SmartMap legacy. Surt, the developer of SmartMap burnt out in all likelyhood & hasn't updated his script since August or so. I found out he is/was a CompSci student at the University of Georgia, but never succeeded in contacting him. I'd love to see SmartMap made Warlords comptatible, but doing so is too far out of my experience for me to pull off.

Full of Resources is very flexible, on the style, terrain and loads of starting options that even SmartMap didn't have. You can add units - with options for human only, all, and the number of units of each type. You can also do the same for resources. Not only can you set the overall level of land and sea resources separately, you can put copper inside the start area for every civ. Or horses. Or whatever. Up to like 6 resources can be fiddled with individually. The fun stuff is starting with wild animals and pre-established barb cities! Lots of fun, that is :)

Unzip them into your \Warlords\Public Maps folder. If you unzip them all at once, they'll create their own subfolder. In that case, simply select your \Warlords folder.

Once unzipped to the Public Maps folder, the scripts should be accessible from the Custom Game option.

Great to hear a new map script works with ViSa....most don't support all the resources we have...plus we will be adding the 4-5 in the G Era.

I tried using this for visa and i couldn't get the example of copper you mentioned to work. I flipped back to unmodded and it worked fine, with extra units etc as the script describes. Does it work for you in that way with visa?

I do use the 4th seady map. But it has 18 civs "only" and also "only" city radius 2. What I#d like to do is use that map with 24 civs and city radius 3.

Creating a 3 civ version shouldn't be hard but i am limited to what i can do while waiting on my next pc. :badcomp:

I got my tax return, things were looking good, then other things broke and money went flying out the window ... I can't change the # of civs but the radius thing should be trivial i expect.

I never did get any feedback on the visa resource placement. Was it ok? I was trying to create trading blocks, although i feel oil is too important in the later game; maybe in the genetic era meld, units will use the new resources as fuel.

I hope the genetic era combo doesn't result in MAFS all the time. It looks like firaxis or take2 has washed their hands of it... maybe they never expected people to make large mods, like bill gates never expected more than 640 K RAM to be desirable.
Spoiler :

Other quotes i find amusing

``Only a few dozen computers will ever be needed and only by scientists.''

This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us.
Western Union internal memo, 1876.

The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.
- Dan Quayle

And one other one, which i can't find exactly, but it was by the british high commandwho believed that there would never be great use for the tank, aircraft, etc in modern warfare... unfortunately the german generals read a textbook written by an englishman on how to wage what they would later call "blitzkreig"... and they didn't believe the secret to winning a war was to have a really big moustache.

request for the customizable DomA:

on the Specialization screen, you can see & adjust the # specs in each city w/out going to cityzoom screen.

unfortunately there are only the default vanilla specs.

would it be possible to add doctor & statesman specs to this screen?

seady, you placed the ressources VERY sparse. I played as Incas in south america. Lets say playing without copper iron and coal is... interessting.

Especially if you know that the world largest open copper mine is situated in Chile, and also that both Chile and Peru have significant coal ressources. Iron ores can be found in the andes as well.

seady, you placed the ressources VERY sparse. I played as Incas in south america. Lets say playing without copper iron and coal is... interessting.

Especially if you know that the world largest open copper mine is situated in Chile, and also that both Chile and Peru have significant coal ressources. Iron ores can be found in the andes as well.

Guess that is why I don't play with maps, scripts, scenarios :lol:

I only touched the ViSa resources, but am happy to tweak the others? Almost everything else is from strategyonly .. actually coal should be everywhere but i'm surprised about the copper and iron deposits... did the incas use metal? I always associate them with wood based weapons.

I am trying to get an atlas from the library with deposits but I've put the Visa work on hold until get a new puta (and hopefully DomA will be fixed by then :worship: )as this one canna handle the strain, Capt'n!

Thanks for the feedback, this stuff is very useful. River placement is horribly awkward though, can't do much about that, but ores i can do ;)

Can anyone tell me what a typical save game size is for Visa? Say for large or huge, around the MAF time? I'm trying to get a fix organised.

Top Bottom