[MOD][WARLORDS] ViSa Modpack

Incas used gold, silver and copper extensively, and later on also bronze. Iron wasn't used by them afaik. As said, one of the largest reservoires of copper was located in Chile. And the stories about cities of gold (and silver) had some truth as well.

Also about some other ressources: chilesaltpeter is named after its most important source, Chile. Actually this ressource was the reason why Chile was rich: they sold saltpeter to everyone to make gunpowder. So placing one or even several sulphur in Chile wouldn't be wrong either.

Oh, and maybe for the Visa people themselve:

the Incas have been incredible good at agriculture and food storage. So good in fact that neither knowing agriculture from the start, nor the "improved granary" are qualifying as a good representation. Maybe when you include the genetic era mod you could come up with something "better" for them? Like a way to get food from mountains?

Can anyone tell me what a typical save game size is for Visa? Say for large or huge, around the MAF time? I'm trying to get a fix organised.

I used to get them a lot back when I played huge epic games,
however, I gave up on the huge thing. Never have MAF playing ViSa
on large (so far, knock wood!)

Back in the huge days, I would get MAF with saves as small as 750k if I played for like 5 hours straight or more. I would reload from the last good save, and get a bunch more turns, repeating with shorter and shorter number of turns to MAF, until eventually I couldn't get one turn in without ending in MAF, which would be save games around 1100 to 1300K. The exact size of the save game seems to be irrelevant, something else is going on - the time since the last time you reloaded the game seems to be more of an indicator than the save game size. The failure does happen when you (or auto) saves are being done.

Alondin, Master of Reporting Problems He Can't Fix :p

I wonder if the system isn't tidying up after itself; a proper programmer could express this better but i remember how easy it was to incompletely free blocks of memory and eventually run out. My computer science lecturer got very mad at anyone who dared to do it; but the sort of disciplined programming I learnt about seems pretty much forgotten about now. Get it sort of working, get it out there, and patch later maybe.

Bad luck if it's running a pacemaker or the cooling system for a nuclear plant :mwaha:

Did you hear about that guy who froze to death because google maps misdirected him? Computers are eeeeevillll. :badcomp:

I believe mrgenie knows almost exactly where the MAF problem is....but Firaxis doesn't care and we don't have access to the EXE code.

I had numerous PM's with two Firaxians here and they haven't done much if anything yet :(

When i contacted take 2 to ask about the MAFs, they said they weren't going to do anything about it because it only happens if you use a mod, and they said they never promised the mods would be able to work. Some people have suggested that they might fix it in Civ5 or Civ6, but I'm hoping if we can get enough names on this petition that they'll pay attention.

Unmodded games don't interest me any more, and as far as i can see, the quality control issues with the memory bugs (remember the harkonnen fix?) and the maximum sound bug have made me wary of buying anything from this company again. It's interesting that console gamers don't get these issues yet the games they play must be pretty demanding. Oh well.

I had one guy arguing with me, saying that games were never intended to have large mods, and all his saves were only a few kilobytes, so he didn't see why anyone else should complain. It reminded me so strongly of Bill Gates saying that no-one would ever need more than 640kB of RAM. Some people have small souls.

When i contacted take 2 to ask about the MAFs, they said they weren't going to do anything about it because it only happens if you use a mod, and they said they never promised the mods would be able to work. Some people have suggested that they might fix it in Civ5 or Civ6, but I'm hoping if we can get enough names on this petition that they'll pay attention.

Unmodded games don't interest me any more, and as far as i can see, the quality control issues with the memory bugs (remember the harkonnen fix?) and the maximum sound bug have made me wary of buying anything from this company again. It's interesting that console gamers don't get these issues yet the games they play must be pretty demanding. Oh well.

I had one guy arguing with me, saying that games were never intended to have large mods, and all his saves were only a few kilobytes, so he didn't see why anyone else should complain. It reminded me so strongly of Bill Gates saying that no-one would ever need more than 640kB of RAM. Some people have small souls.

Funny thing is that people have reported it across at least 3-4 mods, plain warlords and vanilla civ....

I PM'd most of those people and not a single one responded so I had no non-mod saves to send them...and my system doesn't have MAF's even with ViSa so the plain warlords game I tried didn't crash.

So with all the complaints and no evidence, I can't blame Firaxis....its more the players faults for not providing them with proof it is not mod related.

Does any of the error logging include some sort of record of the type of error? It seems likely to me that they could include something basic that would point to firaxis or non firaxis code as the culprit.

If a mod doesn't alter the SDK and the crash still occurs due to large saves, then i can't see how it couldn't be their fault. Can python cause memory alloc issues? What if i make a dummy mod with gigantic xml files (warrior1; warrior2 ... warrior(insert large number here)) , wouldn't that make for a large save game file?

That's a point. What is it that pads out the saved game file? What is it that is saved? I am guessing it is compressed as my hex editor can't make out more than my name and the path.

Does any of the error logging include some sort of record of the type of error? It seems likely to me that they could include something basic that would point to firaxis or non firaxis code as the culprit.

If a mod doesn't alter the SDK and the crash still occurs due to large saves, then i can't see how it couldn't be their fault. Can python cause memory alloc issues? What if i make a dummy mod with gigantic xml files (warrior1; warrior2 ... warrior(insert large number here)) , wouldn't that make for a large save game file?

That's a point. What is it that pads out the saved game file? What is it that is saved? I am guessing it is compressed as my hex editor can't make out more than my name and the path.

As reported before, mrgenie found exactly what was going on...but Firaxis didn't care. He used various Windows programming tools to track down the error...not sure how close he got but plenty far enough he could have fixed it if we had the EXE code.

Players of ViSa can rest assured we are constantly making OUR code better and tweaking Firaxis's code where mrgenie finds things. mrgenie has made some great speed improvements that while we don't have a test version of the G Era yet, I am hoping ViSa will be faster with his fixes even with the G Era in.

Unfortunately everybody has either started school back up or work....we went from working on ViSa 12+ hours a day to 1 or less....so things are moving very slowly now that we all have major RL things.

Well, if it helps, i created my first texture file, and now just need a 3d program to work with; blender is being a pain and claiming i don't have python (i have 2.5 and it was compiled with 2.4 argh) (yes i followed the FAQ but altering environment variables hasn't helped). I don't understand winmerge but can come with ideas for new units, most of which are around the genetic era.

In the meanwhile, lets get a petition going and firaxis will have to do something. I've got 14 responses; even negative ones help build up an overall picture so we can present a case and say "look, this is affecting 70% of users, fix this or we will boycott your next game" and if they really see how serious we are, they might consider doing what i suggested;

Since it doesn't actually require to lift a finger beyond opening up the "save game" function for view, i can't think of a reason for them not to do it.

small bug i just discovered playing as stalin for some reason instead of a horseman unit a numidian cav unit was built for the russians wich is a UU for carthagians :)

small bug i just discovered playing as stalin for some reason instead of a horseman unit a numidian cav unit was built for the russians wich is a UU for carthagians :)

I take it you were in a Golden Age....that is a feature from GIR I think.

Yes, it is. Would you accept a patch on VISA/Assets/Python/GIRMonument/Monument.py that made this an optional feature in the ViSa.ini file? I find it rather annoying.

Nope, if you want to change your own game of course that is fine...but we love this feature and have zero plans to remove it. In fact I thought about lengthening the Golden Age to get more special UU's :)

DUDE THAT IS ONE OF THE FEATURES i LOVE ABOUT THIS MOD IS THE SPECIAL UNIQUE UNIT THING DURING G.A . ALSO POEPLE SAYING THAT THERE IS TOO MUCH STUFF IN THE MOD THEY ARE DEAD WRONG VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE., AND IT WILL BE SPICIER WHEN THE GENETIC AGE GETS ADDED . BY THE WAY WHATS THE STATUS OF THE G.E. UPDATE

Nope, if you want to change your own game of course that is fine...but we love this feature and have zero plans to remove it. In fact I thought about lengthening the Golden Age to get more special UU's :)

I rather like the UU's. I've no problem with there being many, many of them. But when I tell a city to build a tank, I'd like a tank; when I ask to build a fighter, I want a fighter, etc.

I know that most people like it and could leave it turned on in the ini file. It's just a few that might turn it off...

I love this new modpack- but I can't use it when I play hotseat... any suggestions? Can I change it somehow? I read it can be played multiplayer, but I don't play online. Please help!:D

I love this new modpack- but I can't use it when I play hotseat... any suggestions? Can I change it somehow? I read it can be played multiplayer, but I don't play online. Please help!:D

Soma plays MP all the time, maybe he has some ideas...nobody on the ViSa Team plays MP, sorry.

I rather like the UU's. I've no problem with there being many, many of them. But when I tell a city to build a tank, I'd like a tank; when I ask to build a fighter, I want a fighter, etc.

I know that most people like it and could leave it turned on in the ini file. It's just a few that might turn it off...

mrgenie is working on a functional way to turn nearly every modcomp in ViSa on/off....we will have to wait and see how that comes out :)

I have version 2.10 of Visa and i cant see Mastery Victory :(

I know it will be awhile before you can even consider doing it, but any chance you could add True prophets modcomp to the list of things to do. it is located here

Top Bottom