1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modders Guide to Civilization V

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by Kael, Sep 28, 2010.

1. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well i decided to sit down and make a mod for civ V but i seem to be missing a few key things to do that. for one i can not find modbuddy anywhere, also there are no xml files for civ V on my system. all i have is the civ 5 folder under my games in the document folder. there is also nothing i can find on the disk for modbuddy or xml files. now i think i could use one of the mods ive downloaded as starting point if i can find modbuddy. so where can i download that at?

2. Nutty

Nutty Deity

From here:
    Also note (see here):

Use the Nexus tool (also installed with the SDK) to unpack them. See here:

3. owenbevt

owenbevt Chieftain

sorry been looking for a while and cant find what it mentions hear at all
    "Firaxis has helped us out by providing icon templates in the <SDK install directory>\Art\ directory as .psd files. There are seven templates files, one for 32x32 icons, one for 45x45, 64x64, 80x80, 128x128, 214x214 and 256x256."
    Am I missing some big point about SDK?

4. ww2commander

ww2commander Emperor

Different sizes of the same icon are used in various areas of the game and you need to create each of these sizes depending on what your modding. There is a little text file that comes with the templates that tells you which template sizes an element (i.e. unit icon, civ icon) needs to have.

Easiest way is to use the largest 256x256 template and then resize it to the other sizes as Kael suggests. Also, always remember to set VFS to true under the properties of each image file you import into ModBuddy for any mods your creating.

5. owenbevt

owenbevt Chieftain

Thanks but I think I get what to do with them.
    My issue is not being able to find them.

6. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

The SDK is a separate download; Did you install it?

7. owenbevt

owenbevt Chieftain

yep and used it many times.
    somehow I just didn't recognise the name of what I passed though ever time I went to worldbuilder or started playing with mods.
    thanks found it now
    Is 27 to early to go senile?

8. ZoranG

ZoranG Chieftain

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking this thread for a while now and have been inspired to make my own civilization...however, I simply cannot get it to show up in-game when I load my mod. I followed all of the instructions in the guide as much as I could...I skipped some steps because all I wanted to do was add a civilization with 1 new unit and building.

Anyway, after following all the instructions and double-checking my files...I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong that prevents it from showing up as a playable civ. Can anybody please help me with this? It's my first time modding anything and this is driving me bonkers (as I have no experience in modding previously).

I've zipped and uploaded my "build" files here. If anybody can tell me what I did wrong or at least help me figure it out, I would greatly appreciate it.

9. ZoranG

ZoranG Chieftain

For reference to the above, my Database.log file says the following:

10. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

You either missed a bit, or haven't fully enabled logging on your system

Code:
    [5847.869] Database::XMLSerializer (XML/Civilizations/Civ_Serbia.xml): 'Row' or 'Delete' expected, got 'CivilizationType'.
    [5847.884] table Buildings has no column named BuildingType
    [5847.884] In Query - insert into Buildings('BuildingType', 'YieldType', 'Yield') values (?, ?, ?);
    [5847.884] In XMLSerializer while updating table Buildings from file XML/Buildings/CIV5Buildings.xml.
    [5847.884] Database::XMLSerializer (XML/Units/civ5artdefines_units.xml): 'Row' or 'Delete' expected, got 'Type'.
    You also need to learn about the differences between "Actions, OnModActivated, UpdateDatabase" and "Import into VFS = true" (XML/Units/civ5artdefines_units.xml is the latter, not the former)

Once you've fixed those (and imported all the DDS images), your civ will show and (might) be playable by a human, but it won't be usable by the AI as you have no "flavors" defined.

11. ZoranG

ZoranG Chieftain

Thank you for your help!!

What I pasted was literally everything that I saw in Database.log. I don't remember having made any changes to that...how would I go about enabling logging fully??

Other than that, I made the change to that one file you mentioned...my understanding is that the files that are adding entries (as in the civilization, buildings, units, text, etc.) are simply to be updated in the database, whereas other files (such as the civ5artdefines_units) are replacing existing files, and as such need to be imported into the virtual file system.

As for the errors in the log you provided:

Code:
    [5847.869] Database::XMLSerializer (XML/Civilizations/Civ_Serbia.xml): 'Row' or 'Delete' expected, got 'CivilizationType'.
    [5847.884] table Buildings has no column named BuildingType
    [5847.884] In Query - insert into Buildings('BuildingType', 'YieldType', 'Yield') values (?, ?, ?);
    [5847.884] In XMLSerializer while updating table Buildings from file XML/Buildings/CIV5Buildings.xml.
    [5847.884] Database::XMLSerializer (XML/Units/civ5artdefines_units.xml): 'Row' or 'Delete' expected, got 'Type'.
    I've located the reference to the first error message, but I can't figure out what the rest are saying. I got my civ to show up by fixing an error in the civilization's XML file (the offending entry was for a unique building...I forgot to wrap it with BuildingClassOverrides tags...). I'm getting an error from the graphics files though, which is making it nearly unplayable. I'll try re-making them (I got an error the first time around when exporting .dds files, apparently if the layers aren't all merged it causes a fuss) and hopefully that'll fix most of the problems.

I think if I can get this one civ going, the rest will all be very easy....I plan do be doing quite a bit of modding :)

12. ZoranG

ZoranG Chieftain

Adding to the above, I've noticed that my unique building is not available (hence all the building error messages)..I'll have to go through them once I get my own log working correctly.

On a side note, I've lost the ability to scroll through Civilizations on the "basic" set up screen...is there a reason for that? It literally does not let me scroll down to select anything past Elizabeth.

13. ZoranG

ZoranG Chieftain

I'm just posting to confirm that I've figured everything out, I've actually made 5 complete civs as of now (the only things I haven't changed are unit art and leader animations). Thanks for the help!

14. SolNovus12

SolNovus12 Chieftain

I am having problem loading the SDK because of this problem. can anyone help me out with this problem because i have really cool idea that would be a very good game to play in Civ 5

Attached Files:

15. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

on win7 it would be something like that : "C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5"

16. SolNovus12

SolNovus12 Chieftain

Hi, I am wondering if there is any space mods for Civ 5, because i need that kind of background and design for one of my mod ideas. Thanks:confused:

17. Delran

Delran Chieftain

Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to add more than 2 unique units for civilizations in Civ 5, than the 2 standard special units. Thanks.

18. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

of course you can.

19. Delran

Delran Chieftain

And what do I have to do in order to accomplish that? I want to add more units, some unique for some civilizations, so I have added a XML text for a new unique unit as a test and I can't use it in the game.

20. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

See Ethnic Diversity or R.E.D. Modpack as example of mod adding more unique units (without stats change, but the new ethnic units are added as UU)