Modders Guide to Orbis

Semi-stupid n00b question here. My wife is doing all this creative writing stuff and that has got me thinking about stuff (especially since my college classes are about as exciting as watching oatmeal harden - going back to college in your 40's is a trial) and so I feel it is time to earn my Orbis court writer name again.

Yet I'm having trouble finding all the entries to see what's there and what isn't. I poke around the assets folder and found things like the CIV4GameText_Orbis.html but it looks old to me like it hasn't been updated. Till I get my laptop repaired, I'm using my wife's machine where I play via Steam so I don't know if I'm getting all the files. Right now I want to be able to look at things like buildings, units, resources, and stuff like that. I just hate it when I see a entry that is missing text. Since Ahwaric is going to be busy till February, I figure this gives me lots of time to get stuff done.

Yeah, unfortunately I really do not have much time to work on Orbis, so it is probably a month before I release 0.30 version.

CIV4GameText_Orbis.html? You mean xml file, right?
I update it every time I change any text entry. But it is old anyway, as I have imported all the ffh text entries to my new text editor.
I can share my current version if you want, but you first have to tell me if you have access to microsoft excell, preferably 2007 version. If not, I will try to find another way.

Yeah, unfortunately I really do not have much time to work on Orbis, so it is probably a month before I release 0.30 version.

CIV4GameText_Orbis.html? You mean xml file, right?
I update it every time I change any text entry. But it is old anyway, as I have imported all the ffh text entries to my new text editor.
I can share my current version if you want, but you first have to tell me if you have access to microsoft excell, preferably 2007 version. If not, I will try to find another way.

Yeah, I meant xml. I wasn't looking at the file. As for my system, I have access to Excel 2003, 2007 and the OpenOffice version of Excel. Personally I prefer 2003 but that's because I know it better.

Anyway, I figure since it's going to be awhile before 0.30 it gives more time to get a lot of the text stuff worked out.

Ok, I have attached the current text editor to the first post of this thread - happy hunting for empty entries, there are a lot.
If you add anything, please mark it with a different color, a list would not hurt either. Or just post the entry somewhere...

Thanks for doing this :)

Ok, I have attached the current text editor to the first post of this thread - happy hunting for empty entries, there are a lot.
If you add anything, please mark it with a different color, a list would not hurt either. Or just post the entry somewhere...

Thanks for doing this :)

Hey, don't think it's all out of the goodness of my heart. I'm anal retentive (can't spell analyst without anal) and I just hate seeing 'empty' spaces.

I am going to kvetch at the good folks at PC Gamer that they too often don't feature the modding community enough. I have seen A LOT of people commenting on Orbis (or Planetfall or Dune Wars) saying, "THIS FREAKIN' ROCKS DUDE!"

I mean I haven't played vanilla BTS since about a week after it came out and I think a lot of games are like that. Just focusing on the new games really is an insult to all the people (like you) who put forth a lot of effort (and don't get paid for it) because you love the genre so to speak. Magazines like PC Gamer should highlight work like yours more often because it IS worth showing.

Hey, don't think it's all out of the goodness of my heart. I'm anal retentive (can't spell analyst without anal) and I just hate seeing 'empty' spaces.

I am going to kvetch at the good folks at PC Gamer that they too often don't feature the modding community enough. I have seen A LOT of people commenting on Orbis (or Planetfall or Dune Wars) saying, "THIS FREAKIN' ROCKS DUDE!"

I mean I haven't played vanilla BTS since about a week after it came out and I think a lot of games are like that. Just focusing on the new games really is an insult to all the people (like you) who put forth a lot of effort (and don't get paid for it) because you love the genre so to speak. Magazines like PC Gamer should highlight work like yours more often because it IS worth showing.

Unfortunately, it won't happen. Or at least, not often. Mainly because magazines like PC Gamer make a large portion of their profits from advertisements... Which mods can not pay for. It sucks, but that's the way the system works, and they have a finite number of pages available... I'd focus on the big names that pay the bills too, if I were them.

Websites, however, are different; They have no page limit, and make money just for people visiting the site. I'd be focusing on them. ;)

I tried a map in vanilla ffh 2, and I liked it.... seeing ozzy's map of erebus ported from ffh2
too orbis, I wanted to do the same with THIS map but I crashed into some difficulties:badcomp:

I am a total newbie(the most I ever changed was the civilization leaders in the old ozzy's map for erebus, I did it because I thougt lanun was better off with falamar;),and Alexis sucked:mischief:)

But please, do help me Experienced modders! :salute:

I'm trying to add more names for great generals in Orbis since the game seems to run out early. I edited both Civ4GameTextOrbUnits and Civ4GameTextOrbpopups, yet the game is still producing generic great generals after the "official" names have run out. What other XML file needs editing? Or is it something else that needs changing?

I am looking for the Orbis makefile. Anyone know where I can get it?

I am looking for the Orbis makefile. Anyone know where I can get it?

I know there has been problems with the download link and someone has brought it back. Does anyone have a makefile from Orbis?

Is that so? Because I have used Asaf's tutorial to mod the vanilla BtS, but when I try with Orbis, it doesn't work..

Yeah, I added a 4th yield on BtS and everything was fine. I tried that same thing with Orbis and no go. I tried several times. I thought I read on Asaf's tutorial that I would need the Orbis make file. SO, now I am not sure. St the very least I would like to try with it.

There is a chance that Orbis indeed needs a modificated Makefile, but I doubt it. If you would post more information on what doesn't work (what actually happens, it doesn't compile, the game crashes, your computer explodes or whatever; and preferably some compiler output or similar) someone might be able to help you :).

Alright, thanks. It's been almost a year since I tried. When I can get some free time, I will try it out and report. Thanks.

Thanks for the help/advice.

I have got it to work!

Top Bottom