Modding Q&A

I want to have only one specified civilisation (Player 1) available when you start a new game. I also need the other 30 civilisations to be available to the AI.
And your question presumably is, how do you do this?

If you're using the Firaxis Editor, you assign the 'Playable Civilizations' via the 'Scenario' drop-down menu, option 'Scenario properties'. Just click your 'Player 1' Civ in the list, which should instantly de-highlight all the others, meaning that only the AI can use them.

If you're rather using one of the custom Editors (e.g. @Quintillus') I would assume there is an equivalent function in there as well...?

And your question presumably is, how do you do this?
Sorry, I forgot to structure it as a request after I rewrote it.

If you're using the Firaxis Editor, you assign the 'Playable Civilizations' via the 'Scenario' drop-down menu, option 'Scenario properties'. Just click your 'Player 1' Civ in the list, which should instantly de-highlight all the others, meaning that only the AI can use them.

If you're rather using one of the custom Editors (e.g. @Quintillus') I would assume there is an equivalent function in there as well...?
I tried that earlier with both editors, and again after reading your post. It just makes me the only one on the game.

Do you want to have them still choosable (like the right side) or will you want a set list?
I want to choose which and how many enemies I’m facing whenever I start a new game.

It's definitely possible to make civs AI-only.
I’m convinced I’ve done it before. I thought I’d ask you guys when I hit a wall.

I get an automatic victory at the start of the 2nd turn with only 1 civ selected.
Spoiler :
upload_2018-6-24_23-31-8.png
upload_2018-6-24_23-28-18.png

I’ve been looking at similar examples but they require any none-playable civilisations to be preplaced; removing the randomly generated map feature.

Do either of you have any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi guys.
I want to have only one specified civilisation (Player 1) available when you start a new game. I also need the other 30 civilisations to be available to the AI.
To rephrase it; I need only 1 civ on the left and 30 AI slots on the right of the setup screen.

You are looking for the "Human Player" check box. For each player, except the first, you'll want that un-checked. That will result in only being able to select one player, but still having the other "playable" ones as AIs.

Examples scenarios include 8 MP Napoleonic Europe.biq (which ships with the game, and does not allow the human to play Sweden), and PinkTilapia's Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, which only allows the human to play as Rome.

Edit: In the Firaxis editor, the "Human Player" check box is in the top-right on the "Players" tab of Scenario Properties (not the Scenario tab that you have screenshotted). In my editor, it's near the middle of the PLYR tab, below four dropdowns and the Starting Treasury.

Hi Quintillus, thanks for getting involved.
You are looking for the "Human Player" check box. For each player, except the first, you'll want that un-checked. That will result in only being able to select one player, but still having the other "playable" ones as AIs.
That was my first thought. I tried that without success.
Examples scenarios include 8 MP Napoleonic Europe.biq (which ships with the game, and does not allow the human to play Sweden), and PinkTilapia's Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, which only allows the human to play as Rome.
All of the none-playable civilisations in those mods are preplaced in a scenario map. If you start a new Napoleonic Europe game, the AI options are removed.

Can anyone think of a mod example with randomly generated maps that includes none-playable civs.

Hi Quintillus, thanks for getting involved.

That was my first thought. I tried that without success.

All of the none-playable civilisations in those mods are preplaced in a scenario map. If you start a new Napoleonic Europe game, the AI options are removed.

Can anyone think of a mod example with randomly generated maps that includes none-playable civs.

I dont think what you want is possible with the current allowing settings. Setting only 1 civ as Human, automatically requires you to set the other ones, which then takes away the choice, except in MP.

I dont think what you want is possible with the current allowing settings. Setting only 1 civ as Human, automatically requires you to set the other ones, which then takes away the choice, except in MP.
Just speculating: is it possible to set up an MP game with just one person playing?

Just speculating: is it possible to set up an MP game with just one person playing?
Yes, I’ve just tested it, but the game will be reduced to just 8 players again.
If you meant no competitors (out of curiosity) then still, yes, but you'll get an immediate victory.

EDIT:
You’re not forced to use the Player civ on multiplayer either. I didn’t realise that you can simply change your player position and chose whichever one you like, making the MP root unworkable anyway.
I don’t think what you want is possible with the current allowed settings.
It’s beginning to look like you’re right. So far, the best I can think to do is to make a note insisting that they only use the Player civ.
I suppose ‘be it on their own heads’ if they want to play a pointless game by choosing another (vastly superior) civ. I do dislike and distrust house-rules though.

Last edited:
Hmm, you are right, the way I suggested did not work, @Oni Ryuu .

What about going about it the opposite way? I've attached a BIQ where there are 4 players, and all players except the human's have been assigned a civ. The human only has one choice, but the map is randomly generated and there will be AI players.

The downside is the number of AI players is fixed; this method wouldn't allow the human to choose the number of opponents (though you could create a couple BIQ variants for that), or which AI civs they were playing against. So I don't know that it is exactly what you're looking for, but maybe a step in that direction?

Attachments

• Egypt Test.zip
    433 bytes · Views: 84
That’s brilliant. However, I always have the maximum number of players on the largest maps but most people don’t. I also get the impression that most CFC members don’t like conquest games either.

I suppose a map of 360^2 tiles & 31 players and one half its size (260^2 tiles and 16 players) would be reasonable.
If I set all of the map sizes on the World Sizes window to a set number, I could rename and repurpose it to a scientific development rate option.
Spoiler :

upload_2018-6-28_1-36-44.png

I’m going to need some thinking time for this one.

I like huge maps. Most players don't because it slows down the game. When I have a choice on a large I usually have "none" for 4-6 slots because it gives a little more space for early expansion. i don't know what others who like large maps do.

If you want two maps that look very much the same but are different sizes Quintillus' editor is a good way to go. I could make them for you, based on a biq you already have. You would then have to make minor adjustments to things like mountain ranges, add in any custom terrain you are using, place the rivers, etc. But I could give you the foundations with the standard Firaxis terrain. normally I could work with you to do that phase of it (done so a few times before with other projects), but my fieldwork is just too intense atm to devote that much time to it.

Thanks for the offer but this mod will still have randomly generated maps even with the two map sizes described above.
If you’re still interested in a couple of weeks, I’ll need help making a 360^2 Earth map for another mod.

Spoiler Description :
Private Sector Procurement (Scenario, MP)
  • It’s a modern start with a shortened list of units.
  • Strategic resources have been changed to notable arms manufacturers.
  • All of the basic units are available without the need for resources.
  • Better versions of those units become accessible by acquiring contracts (strategic resources).
E.g. the UK could have three BAE Systems resources. Two could be traded to other nations. If the BAE resource is in range of a city it can build a BEA facility.​
  • Private industrial sites increase production.
  • No governments experience war weariness.
  • The game begins with many “housing” buildings that reduce unhappiness and provide rent (-3 maintenance).
  • Strategic bombing could severely disrupt production.
  • The tech mostly addresses the standard units. Set all techs to “not required for era advancement”. Change the ages to unit categories Air Force, Army, Navy and Technical.
  • The majority of the tech is about researching components for units so have no immediate benefit.
  • Some (era-none) tech can be used to enhance the cultural, religious and geographical characteristics of each civ.

Last edited:
There are some decent earth maps already. If there's not one of the size you want, pick one that looks more or less right in terms of land proportions, etc. Then I can do the basic conversion for you to edit later. From mid-July through end of August my schedule will be tight, but I can probably sneak it in somewhere.

How do I make it impossible to advance in era's? I am playing a Fantasy mod I am working on, and I don't want any civilizations going Industrial.

require all Industrial techs to have a precursor that none of the playable factions have . ı play LotM a lot and all civs start with 4 tech , two of them from "era 0" . No human civ can then research an exclusively Dwarven tech .

I don’t know if anyone will find this useful but you can now remove Mountains and Hills during gameplay producing Grassland.

Try to keep up with these exhaustive steps.
  1. Change the Marsh and Jungle terrain from the Clear Wetlands command to Clear Forest.
  2. Allow the Clear Wetlands command to work on Mountains and Hills and change the name of the command to something more suitable.

Top Bottom