Modding Q&A

Is it possible to make a building like a "barracks" able to upgrade units, but not produce veteran units if built in that city?

If possible, I'd like to have a "West Point" for production of veteran units, but unit upgrades like tanks to be upgraded at tank production facilities. Is any of this possible, or does unit upgrading and veteran units go hand in hand?

A Barracks with the same flags is a Barracks no matter what the Building Name and a Barracks allows Veteran Units and Upgrades.

Due to programing, I am not sure there is any adjustment that will allow what you are wanting to do.

If you flag and use your various Buildings to upgrade Units those Buildings will also allow all units to be built as Veterans because each of those Buildings would in reality be a Barracks.

Reactions: ajb
A Barracks with the same flags is a Barracks no matter what the Building Name and a Barracks allows Veteran Units and Upgrades.

Due to programing, I am not sure there is any adjustment that will allow what you are wanting to do.

If you flag and use your various Buildings to upgrade Units those Buildings will also allow all units to be built as Veterans because each of those Buildings would in reality be a Barracks.
:wow: WOW! A question from me for you ( ;) ) ---

Will the AI build a Barracks in a City where there is already an Imp/GW/SW there already Flagged as such?

Is there a write up somewhere for AI behavior in response to barbarians? I've read up a bunch on the barbarian behavior, but I've yet to find something written about how the AI actually addresses barbarian threats.

Even general information like:
  • If there is a barbarian in coordinate 10,10, would a faction who is located at 200,200 be interested in attacking them (assuming there are several factions between the two)?
  • Do factions more or less focus on barbarians near them and ignore barbarians far away?

I have a mod with preplaced units, and I'm worried the AI will send many of those units across the map to wipe out a single barbarian. . . . not what I want at all.

Appreciate any insights anyone can offer!

Ok, that makes sense. I'm more concerned with a barracks being able to upgrade a battleship for example, which I don't want, veteran units across the board, I'm ok with.

I'm heavily using the C3X_Rxx mod to the EXE file, so I'm hoping placing the various "barracks" flagged buildings will still be built by the AI to allow them to upgrade/build the various units.

Is there a write up somewhere for AI behavior in response to barbarians? I've read up a bunch on the barbarian behavior, but I've yet to find something written about how the AI actually addresses barbarian threats.

Even general information like:
  • If there is a barbarian in coordinate 10,10, would a faction who is located at 200,200 be interested in attacking them (assuming there are several factions between the two)?
  • Do factions more or less focus on barbarians near them and ignore barbarians far away?

I have a mod with preplaced units, and I'm worried the AI will send many of those units across the map to wipe out a single barbarian. . . . not what I want at all.

Appreciate any insights anyone can offer!
My experience is that the AI will go after barbarians that are near them, and ignore those that are a distance away. If the barbarians are close to my civilization, the AI will not bother them at all. However, the barbarians will go after AI units, especially if there is a Settler in the stack.

My experience is that the AI will go after barbarians that are near them, and ignore those that are a distance away. If the barbarians are close to my civilization, the AI will not bother them at all. However, the barbarians will go after AI units, especially if there is a Settler in the stack.
Ok. . . hmmm this opens up possibilities, thank you so much!

I am having a brain fart here. For the life of me I can't remember how to make unit obselte by another unit. AKA it doesn't upgrade, but it won't be in the build queue anymore after another unit is available. e.g. I want to make Cavalry obsolete by Tank and Ironclad obsolete by Battleship.

do not give them the ability to upgrade in the editor , by unticking some box (ı think to the right hand side) . Only works against the human player .

I am having a brain fart here. For the life of me I can't remember how to make unit obselte by another unit. AKA it doesn't upgrade, but it won't be in the build queue anymore after another unit is available. e.g. I want to make Cavalry obsolete by Tank and Ironclad obsolete by Battleship.

Obsoleting a unit.jpg

Obsoleting a unit by another unit without the option of upgrading it is done by these two settings. It is also working for AI civs.

The AI isn't very smart about volcanoes. I have seen them build right next to one. Overall, I find them annoying. Does increasing the Maximum Eruption period reduce volcanic eruptions? I know that lowering the interval makes them more frequent, but I wasn't sure if the opposite was true. I know Civinator hates pollution and has done his best reduce in CCM, but he didn't change the 5000 max eruption period so I am assuming increasing it has no effect.

Question on defensive bombard. I am trying to simulate the multi-shot capability of Chu Ko No (Chinese crossbow). If you give the unit 4/0/2 will defensive bombardment fire twice? Or always only once? How about range? If I wanted to give the English longbowman and extended defensive bombard range? Or is always zero with defensive bombard?

In the base game-engine, Defbombs can only do max. 1HP damage, regardless of F-value. (Not sure if @Flintlock has patched that yet, because I'm still playing on C3X v.13, which is several versions behind the most recent).

Any unit with a B-value can do Defbombs (if there's more than 1 unit in their stack), R-value makes no difference. But if you want Archer-type units to have R>0, make sure to turn off their terrain-damage effects as far as possible, or their arrows will make craters...

Last edited:
Giving defensive bombardment a working rate of fire greater than 1 (so more than 1 HP can be damaged) is on Flintlock´s project list but not yet realized.

Defensive bombardment with a range of 1 or greater is a logical error:

a) Defensive bombardment has a range of zero (not of 1 or greater). If such a unit has a range of 1 or greater it has a normal offensive bombardment.

b) For defensive bombardment a direct attack of a unit into the tile with the defending stack is needed. If the "defending" unit could have a defensive bombardment against the attacking unit with a range of 1 or greater, this wouldn´t be a defensive bombardment, as there is still no attack of that unit into the defended tile. The attacking unit must always be in the situation to enter the defended tile. :D

Giving defensive bombardment a working rate of fire greater than 1 (so more than 1 HP can be damaged) is on Flintlock´s project list but not yet realized.

Defensive bombardment with a range of 1 or greater is a logical error:

a) Defensive bombardment has a range of zero (not of 1 or greater). If such a unit has a range of 1 or greater it has a normal offensive bombardment.

b) For defensive bombardment a direct attack of a unit into the tile with the defending stack is needed. If the "defending" unit could have a defensive bombardment against the attacking unit with a range of 1 or greater, this wouldn´t be a defensive bombardment, as there is still no attack of that unit into the defended tile. The attacking unit must always be in the situation to enter the defended tile. :D
@Civinator any magic ideas for simulating a repeating Chinese crossbow?

Well, yes.

But my point is that whether R=0 or R>0, any unit with B>0 and F>0 will be able to fire a Defensive Bombardment volley if/when its stack gets attacked.

Giving a unit B>0 and R=0 simply means that it can only do Def-bombs.

Well, yes.

But my point is that whether R=0 or R>0, any unit with B>0 and F>0 will be able to fire a Defensive Bombardment volley if/when its stack gets attacked.

Giving a unit B>0 and R=0 simply means that it can only do Def-bombs.
:yup: Yes, my answer was not targeted to this thought, as this in my eyes was self-evident. It was targeted at a defense bombardment that is effective two tiles away from the defending unit.

Edited: When having a look into the R17 Preview 3 config it is now possible that a unit with blitz attack now can perform defensive bombard multiple times per turn, one for each move they have. So with a unit with blitz attack it is now possible to take away more than one HP from the attacker by defensive bombardment (but still only 1 HP per attack).

Last edited:
Top Bottom