Modern roads look too much like railroads

Erm, clean your monitor or put on your glasses!

Really helpful... :rolleyes:

Aside from the quoted moronic remark, I'd like to agree with the several posters who complained about new roads. I play in 1280x1024 w/ max settings, and cannot tell paved roads apart from railroads. The only solution is to zoom in or check each tile individually. Very annoying.

A graphic mod would be very welcome!

Why do roads start looking like highways as soon as you hit the industrial age. I cant build cannons yet, but the new 2008 Ford is being seen all over the country. Dirt roads doesnt seem right for the industrial age, but neither do highways. Maybe some kind of paved road, that doesnt look like a highway?

Much of the difficulty in distinguishing the later roads from railways lies in that both use the same patterns, all straight lines and sweeping curves. Why indeed was it thought desirable to redraw every road in your territory as soon as you reach the Industrial Era ? Such mass modernisation doesn't happen in real life and, I think, hinders gameplay.

There isnt any point in railroading mines outside fat crosses, is there?

no point as far as the hammer bonus, right. but i do it anyway to let me reach it quickly in times of crisis.

i never automate workers, ever. i just don't trust the AI. i really don't like modern roads one bit, or even how the railroads look. i'm probably the only one that thinks this way, but i'd love it if the railroads went back to how they looked in civ2 where they were all straight, angle changes turn was exactly the same. so symmetrical, so cute, and immediately obvious where i have 'em and where i don't.

no point as far as the hammer bonus, right. but i do it anyway to let me reach it quickly in times of crisis.

i never automate workers, ever. i just don't trust the AI. i really don't like modern roads one bit, or even how the railroads look. i'm probably the only one that thinks this way, but i'd love it if the railroads went back to how they looked in civ2 where they were all straight, angle changes turn was exactly the same. so symmetrical, so cute, and immediately obvious where i have 'em and where i don't.

Couldn't agree more. I railroad everything for fast damage control, I never automate workers, and hate the new roads/railroads.

Paved highways weren't even common until the 1940s/50s... even after the invention of the combustion engine and the appearance of automobiles in the early 1900s, DIRT ROADS were still very, very common.

I'm fine with the new road graphics... but they should be triggered by the MODERN age... NOT the Industrial age.

My problem is not with historical accuracy, it's with the graphics: I just cannot tell paved roads apart from railroads...

Erm, clean your monitor or put on your glasses!

I can tell the difference between old roads, new and then railroads.

If you're not there yet, wait until you reach about 45 years old. Even with reading glasses, I have to zoom in to see the differences. The old CivI had those straight black railroads which were obvious.

I have the same problem seeing them, too. The people who don't probably are using a higher res. Stylistically I have a problem as well because they look ugly.

Anyone have a way to get rid of that feature and give us Warlord's roads?

I assume one would just have to tinker around the BTS folder and replace the graphic with the old one, but it would be nice to have instructions for the non-experts.

I'm really surprised no one made a mod. I've searched, but I'm not good at that.

I had Blue Marble installed, so I removed the Blue Marble railroads folder in My Files\My Games\_civ4_gametitle_\CustomAssets\art\terrain\routes\railroads

Got a little better...

Or just copy the railroads folder from vanilla or Warlords to BTS.

I have trouble sometimes telling them apart, I think it has to do with playing very zoomed out, or up close. I like to be able to see as much as possible of my empire, so I typically zoom fairly far out. Perhaps the people who can see them better run at a low resolution, and zoomed in?

I liked the civ3 roads and railroads. I'd love to be able to use them in civ4 :)

Maybe the roads in the Industrial Revolution should change to nice white pavement or something to represent stoneworks, because roads were becoming useful for bikes and stuff...
When Modern Era rolls around, highways form, in their nice and easy to distinguish grey, which they already are!

Top Bottom