Modified Scenarios Workshop

Thank you very much to those who tried to solve the problem:

yey I'm helping

EDIT: lol xpost, though this one's done in GIMP and doesn't seem to dither as much.

Thorvald the transition to GIF has the complexity that certain colors have with which it works in CIV-2, therefore any GIF image does not work, the certain colors have to be associated, for example in GIMP (I tried and I was not able), as you see the image that I include:

asiento_2.png

Title in GIF form for @gapetit - Let me know if it works?
View attachment 555503

Curt does know how to create the adapted conversion and it works which is wonderful:

asiento_1.png

Thank you very much CS.

Thorvald the transition to GIF has the complexity that certain colors have with which it works in CIV-2, therefore any GIF image does not work, the certain colors have to be associated, for example in GIMP (I tried and I was not able), as you see the image that I include:
Oh right, I forgot ToT gifs are still finicky about the index.

If like me the speckling in Curt's is triggering your OCD, try this one (tested in-game this time :mischief:):
EDIT: Ugh but the colour's washed out. Gimme a few minutes, I'll see if I can't synthesize the two.

Attachments

• asiento-title2.gif
    asiento-title2.gif
    234.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Third's the charm: fixed the speckling, cleaned up the red text, and normalized colouring on the right-hand cover:

Attachments

• asiento-title3.gif
    asiento-title3.gif
    259.6 KB · Views: 151
:hatsoff:
Did you use the GIMP? Is it very complex to carry out?
Aye, all in GIMP. Like paint.net it's basically the Poor Man's Photoshop, so complexity depends on what you're trying to do, but especially for games like MGE and Alpha Centauri that use a limited palette for all their graphics, it's very handy for keeping track of colour indexes. For Version 2 I pulled up a title.gif from another scenario to get the right palette, then in Version 3 I copied in the paintings from Curt's and changed the two colours that the game parsed as black. Exported as GIF and done.

I'd like to know how Curt converted his, because even though v2 uses virtually the same palette, copying your original image in skewed the colours darker with no obvious reason why.

The only thing I've found finicky about GIMP for Civ2 modding is bitmaps, because even in true-colour ToT if it's not saved with the right encoding it'll crash the game, although I probably just need to keep trial-and-erroring until I find the right option. Right now I do the legwork in GIMP, then resave the file with MS Paint—the file is slightly larger but it ensures compatibility.

Aye, all in GIMP. Like paint.net it's basically the Poor Man's Photoshop, so complexity depends on what you're trying to do, but especially for games like MGE and Alpha Centauri that use a limited palette for all their graphics, it's very handy for keeping track of colour indexes. For Version 2 I pulled up a title.gif from another scenario to get the right palette, then in Version 3 I copied in the paintings from Curt's and changed the two colours that the game parsed as black. Exported as GIF and done.

I'd like to know how Curt converted his, because even though v2 uses virtually the same palette, copying your original image in skewed the colours darker with no obvious reason why.

The only thing I've found finicky about GIMP for Civ2 modding is bitmaps, because even in true-colour ToT if it's not saved with the right encoding it'll crash the game, although I probably just need to keep trial-and-erroring until I find the right option. Right now I do the legwork in GIMP, then resave the file with MS Paint—the file is slightly larger but it ensures compatibility.

Very smart solution. I perform this function in previous versions of windows with paint, as techumseh explains pasting it directly into the title of a pre-existing scenario, but in the latest versions it transforms the image without keeping the original palette and gives an error in Civ-2. It had not occurred to me to do it for GIMP.
Thank you very much for the lesson Thorvald :hatsoff:

With the new Fairline units from the Cold War, I have modified the Cold War Flash Point scenario. I think aesthetically it looks very good ... except the shields of the special units (paratroopers and naval infantry) of France, Federal Germany and Italy. Does anyone dare to create the shields?
Units_cwflashpoint.png

What is wrong with these shields? I don't get it. They look fine to me.
They are fine, but most are from Fairline World War II, in the case of the German it looks like, but the Italians are lightning with wings. So there is no quality problem, but some move away from the correct shields.

I guess I could have a go if you like
Everything you want improve, I happy.

They are fine, but most are from Fairline World War II, in the case of the German it looks like, but the Italians are lightning with wings. So there is no quality problem, but some move away from the correct shields.

Everything you want improve, I happy.

Here we go; quite a few changes. I've never played this scenario, but it appears to start in the early 70's and run through to the 1980's. As such, I've made up 2 files, one for the 1970's and one more appropriate for the 80's:

- Replaced the British tank with a Chieftain for the 70's and Challenger I for the 80's
- Replaced the Warrior IFV with an FV432 for the 70's
- Replaced the US armour for the 70's and included the standard OG uniform for the 70's Airborne
- Replaced the Mig-25 with a Mig-23 (far more common and representative of a generic Soviet fighter)
- Replaced the Leopard 2 with a Leopard 1 for the 70's
- Replaced the M1 and Bradley with M-60 and M113 for the 70's

- tweaked the Jaguar and left it in slot, although if this represents an air defence fighter a Phantom and later Tornado ADV would be more appropriate for the British (although not of course the French). The scenario author appears to have given the French a separate fighter in the Mirage F1. I'm not sure why he didn't leave the French as separate and have the Germans and British use a common-slot fighter, but there we go.

- added the German / French / Italian Marine and Paratroop badges (the similarity of the Federal German Para badge and a WW2 Fallschirmjaeger badge is remarkable, as you noted before - the Federal German Army appear to have just removed the swastika and replaced it with a national flag! Tweaked the French uniforms too - they wore far shorter jackets than their Nato contemporaries.

- Replaced the 50's white Vulcan with a 70's camouflaged one
- Made a couple of nukes
- tweaked the Tu-22M wing (I'll get it right one day!)
- added a newer version of the Apache (this should probably be replaced by a Cobra for the 70's file but the author has named the unit 'Apache' so I've left it.
- Replaced some national flags, Soviet Air Force flag etc.

I've left Tanelorn's F-14 in slot as its a really cool unit drawing that needs a home! The scenario author has named this slot 'USAF fighter' so it should probably be an F-4E / F-15, but what the hell.

I've not touched the Warsaw Pact unit badges for Marines / Paras but can do if you want.

Units_cwfp.png

Units_cwfp 1980s.png

:woohoo:Thank you very much Fairline. Great job. It is not a bad option to generate a few units for each decade. Your changes seem perfect to me and the new shields are cool. If you don't think so, I would like to keep the Mi-24A for the 70s. I am delighted if you want to include new shields for the units of the Warsaw Pact. Although the Marine Corps is only the Soviet, because on the scenario the rest do not have cities on the coast.
I have made small changes in the scenario, I also included a time: it ends in 1991 and such as reinforcing NATO units in Greece and Turkey, whose rivalry allows maintaining costly armies. I have increased aviation, because if not, it was very easy to conquer playing with the Warsaw Pact. And I have also included the militia unit, when a city falls, according to both the eastern and western potential (stand behaind): For this last unit I think that the weapon, more than an AK-47, it would have to be a machine gun like the MAT-49 or something like that. They are invisible until they attack or trip over them, but unfortunately the fortification of their defense is seen.
The original scenario was very simple in its elaboration, which allowed me to create a more aesthetic than complex scenario, adding many units, including atomic prop bombs, so that the war was conventional, with a powerful deployment of US forces in Europe. I think the result is a simple scenario, but with some emotion and some surprises. The barbarian civilization, which are the neutrals, will remain allies of all the contenders, which means that the AI does not lose resources. And the special Warsaw Pact units are recoverable by events as long as they maintain the necessary cities. If someone is encouraged to play it, you will tell me what you think. I do not promise miracles ... the size and complexity is what it is.

:eek: I hope that the scenario has enough flow to show off these incredible units. Thanks again

Top Bottom