Modified Scenarios Workshop

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by McMonkey, Feb 4, 2011.

1. gapetit

gapetit King

I have modified the Tanelorn Kiev aircraft carrier unit again. So I have changed scenario of Cold War Crisis again.
    Kiev_Tanelorn.png

Fairline, typhoon353 and Tanelorn like this.
  2. Patine

Patine Deity

When the Black Sea Fleet was formally divided up in the mid-90's (before the Crimean Crisis roughly 20 years after that shook that all up), did Ukraine get the Kiev, given it's name? :p

3. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Wikipedia says:
    Sold to a Chinese company in 1996, converted into a theme park in Tianjin since 2004. Further renovated and developed into a luxury hotel since 2014.

4. gapetit

gapetit King

I think Ukraine, poorly run from then until the current disaster, took the largest and most obsolete part of the fleet, and without being able to maintain it, sold it at a price of expensive scrap metal. Surely the name came in handy in the negotiations ... for the Russians :lol:.

5. gapetit

gapetit King

Of course, the ship is a beauty, as an attraction or as a hotel. Unfortunately I don't think I can afford one night :undecide:.

6. Patine

Patine Deity

But the Soviet Navy would have given you a stipend to stay there - back in the day. My how things have changed. :p

7. gapetit

gapetit King

But hard work in the navy is not the same as drinking a daikiri admiring the deck :mischief:.

8. techumseh

techumseh Emperor SLeague Staff

I recently came across several scenarios in the Civ2 downloads that were converted by Catfish several years ago. There are a number of good ones, like Seize the Crown by John Ellis, but they suffer from outdated graphics. I wonder if you might want to upgrade them?

(edit) I converted and upgraded Brown Man's Burden by Carl Fritz, which I will upload when I can.

9. gapetit

gapetit King

I think Catfish is one of the greats for Civ-2. His interests were also very complete, from graphics to conversions, applications, scenarios, improvements of all kinds. And although he has been a few years with much less contributions, his page is still essential, to get all kinds of resources and tutorials. On this page, you have access to the scenarios converted to ToT and some have many graphics, some specially created by Fairline. In other words, a joy. As a fan of both Fairline's and Catfish's graphics, and considering that the latter, most of the, for me, great classic ToT scenarios happened to ToT, I have almost all adapted to my liking. All in all, and Fairline proves it, everything can be improved. So I am happy with your future contributions Techumseh.

http://users.tpg.com.au/jpwbeest/jp_links.htm

Mati1465 likes this.
  10. BC1871

BC1871 Warlord

The Post Cold War Ukrainian Navy is a case study in poor management of a naval service. I vaguely remember, there was a copy of Jane's Defense from the mid 90's, that talked about the Ukrainian Navy as a force, that if effective reforms were made, could have theoretically been a major player in the Post Cold War Eastern Bloc.

11. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Hopefully yours works. For reasons I have yet to determine, both Catfish's v2 and the Boer War conversion broke after I switched to ToTPP, with the game crashing on or after the first turn. This hasn't happened with any other scenario, even if they weren't optimized for ToTPP.

12. techumseh

13. techumseh

I am sorry if my comment that the graphics from 6 years ago are dated imply for you a criticism of Catfish, who you obviously revere. But they do not. I appreciate the contribution of Catfish very much. If you do not wish to use your considerable artistic discernment to improve on them, then of course I respect your decision. It was just a suggestion.

14. Fairline

Fairline Emperor

I think maybe you are misunderstanding each other - Catfish generally didn't alter the graphics in the conversions he made; he concentrated on having a perfect ToT conversion while retaining the original graphics. Gapetit makes superb graphics changes to accompany his conversions, which I guess is what you were after Tech?

Anyway, I have units, people and some tweaked city and terrain files for Brown Man's Burden from many years ago if you want them. IIRC I added units into my copy of the rules to flesh out the British and French, but didn't overwrite any existing units so the file should hold good for the vanilla scenario:

Units.png

Attached Files:

Mati1465, gapetit and Tanelorn like this.
  15. gapetit

gapetit King

I do not know if the Google translator change the meaning of my words or I mean fatal in Spanish and worse in English, but come on my intention was to say that although there are no graphics modifications in its downloads, it also includes other downloads related to the graphics of Fairline and others (Catfish's icons too). I am happy with your new contribution as it allows us to choose from more options. Everything can be improved and changed. So I always modify everything and make the changes that I think improve what there is. If someone does not agree they can go back to the original. Catfish prefers to keep the scenarios as is and then includes other downloads for its improvements. Different ways of working. Respect yes, revere no. At no time did I think that your words offended Catfish. I thought it was a good idea for those who did not know it, to enjoy the Catfish cave.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  16. gapetit

gapetit King

I converted the Boer War scenario to ToT ... and I don't remember it giving me trouble. I will review it next time and I will tell you. And it is a good time to include the new graphics of my revered Fairline of this time :p.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  17. gapetit

gapetit King

I also remember how Ukraine presented itself in the 90s as one of the European countries with great economic and geostrategic possibilities, but in just 8 years it lost 60% of its GDP, andwith a decade of some recovery with the new century, the following years were no better. Poverty, degradation of social and civil rights, a weak state, the expansion of ultra-conservative ideas and political violence turned it into a lawless frontier area between great powers. And the end seems to be a fascist coup d'etat, loss of Crimea, a civil war and a bankrupt country.
    Ukraine has lost 15 million inhabitants since 1991. And of 37.5 million, 10 live below the poverty line.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  18. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Gapetit was not out of line here at all. Techumseh was over-reacting somewhat. Although this seems to be his playstyle lately.

19. techumseh

20. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Tech, you treated Gapetit with open and hostile sarcasm. Unbefitting for a veteran poster, mate.
    No one here has a problem with you, least of all me. So cool down and stop acting like an edgelord.

That's all. Thanks.