Monarch Student X - Charlemagne

I had played this, but stopped at 1 AD, I founded 4 religions in the capital before settling my first city :) I may finish it if anyone thinks they can better my immortal/normal conquest time with the powerful 4 religion opening.

I settled on the Wine because that gives the Levee bonus lategame!

(also it guarantees you an early religion if you want it)

I didn't play this, but I looked at the start, and I was very attrackted by the wine as well.

You don't lose a turn, and you get a extra commerce, while you can still work the floodplains for 3f.

Dat marble. 1s is nice for the extra commerce and river trade can be useful to connect future cities down south. Plus I'm not too keen on settling grass hills. And God knows Charley needs every bit of commerce he can get with those starting techs... :S

Immortal/Normal 880 AD

The 4 religions
Spoiler :

I started off 1 AD from an old save. I picked up 4 religions in the capital, everyone was at war with Churchill but I had been refusing all demands so I could get missionaries through to Suleiman apparently. I accepted a demand to go to war then picked up a late Great Library for the GPP so I could get my 4 shrines up. Grabbed the music GA then banking.

The AIs were so slow, but I was as well (10bpt until currency trade in 300AD) so I got trade value from my oracle'd CoL and bulb'd Theocracy. Churchill was killed in 800 AD and the French attacked me a few turns later as you can see. Everyone spread Judaism so I'm getting 40gpt from it. I just finished the AP ( in hinduism thanks to free switch during the golden age - unfortunately France attacked and killed my hindu missionaries so only the eastern AIs have hinduism, oh and I got a GS and didn't build the hindu shrine yet!! )

It seems like I'm the only one who suffers a triple dogpile and nigh constant war on this map. @#%#@ can't the game give me a break?

I'm better now than in 2009 though so I'll probably be winning anyway.

Haha TMIT I read your post earlier, and forgot to add how lucky I was :) Its nice to have an AI that no one likes and have everyone declare on that AI in the BCs and stay at war until 800 AD (because no one had researched feudalism yet!).

Spoiler :

It was hilarious to see 's 12 horse archers and 1 archer 1 move their way through my land around 300 AD after being at war for a thousand years. Shaka ended up going straight for London and taking it which signaled the end of Churchill.

I refuse to let this game get the better of me, I WILL win.

Spoiler :
But I think that getting Theology first should be pretty easy against this set of AI's. And you know what that means...

Monarch/Normal/No huts or Events - 960 BC
I feel I may have to restart soon with more standard play. ;)

Spoiler :
Holy crap, I really shouldn't have tried to found that religion. :lol: Sat on the wine and worked a floodplain til it happened. This looks awful with Shaka being fairly angry and other jerks here that tend to like each other. I absolutely hate these situations because the peaceweights ensure they're gonna pick me as a target. They start annoyed with you despite nothing else happening. Maybe I should really get that alphabet going and try to bribe.

On the good side, there seems to be a ton of land to grab, I have 4 cities and teching fairly decently, and marble/stone is awesome-- though I think I may die soon.=p I'm very scared so I picked up archery and settled my 4th on a hill down south. I have horses but I don't think they'll help much. Distances are massive on this map; I have real trouble on maps like these since I usually like to try and kill someone off early with this leader setup. Also even constructing a foreign trade route is difficult so autospread (well I shouldn't have founded that religion should I? :p) Best hope is a sailing trade route.

Goal is to take 2 more cities, hide in walled protective archer defended cities, and build those aesthetics wonders.

It seems like I'm the only one who suffers a triple dogpile and nigh constant war on this map. @#%#@ can't the game give me a break?

I'm better now than in 2009 though so I'll probably be winning anyway.

I had the constant dogpiles too - I remember this game vividly now that someone brought it back from the dead...only difference was the dogpiles were late enough that I could defend with PRO archers. Think this was one of the longest games I ever played looking back - 7+ hours - ugly slog!

I wouldn't mind giving it another go but I'm too hooked on skyrim these days.

Alright F this. Founding religion is for losers. I did get a religion to someone but they were gonna attack by that time. :p Oh sure let's declare war when you can't even break in my cities anyways.

Trying again without.

Hey everybody, I'm new here, but have been playing civ for quite a while.

I thought i'd give this one a go, and it worked out! Didn't take screenshots, I'll try to do that next time.

Spoiler :
Settled on the wine and went worker, warrior, warrior, worker, settler.

I founded my first city on the same spot as everybody else (apparently), below the gold. Founded my second city on the chokepoint near Hannibal so he was shut of completely. This wasn't great for my economy, but gave me a lot of land. Naturally I didn't sign open borders with him.

Founded the Oracle at 1325 BC and got CoL. Napoleon declared war on me in 785 BC, but wasted his stack on my walled, 5 archer strong Prague.

In 200 BC he declared war on me again, but since I joined the Hinduism clan (along with Hannibal, Churchill, Suleiman and Brennus), my friends declared war on him and pretty soon he wanted peace again.

Founded Great Library 130 BC and Mausolleum 450 AD.

Got Liberalism at 900 AD and decided to try the "Kremlin, Cavalry buy" tactic that I only recently found out about on one of the YouTube movies from TheMeInTeam.
That worked suprisingly well and after I founded the Kremlin in 1430, I destroyed Shaka befor 1470 and vassilized Kublai Kahn before 1500. I then wanted to kill some more but annoyingly enough, Hannibal had vassilized Napoleon and Nappy didn't want open borders with me so I couldn't cross his land. Building ships was to bothersome, so I decided to go for diplomatic victory.

Brennus was so friendly to offer himself voluntarily as a vassal to me. I returned to Hinduism as my religion (because I neede the votes from Suleiman and Churchill, who were both Hinduistic), adopted their favorite civics (and made sure they adopted them as well!), gave them every tech and resource I had as a gift and replaced a lot of towns for farms (extra population = extra votes.) Won diplomatic victory at 1848.

Thanks! :) I find it quite ironic that in everybody's games (including mine) there was constant war going on, but the victory reached was diplomatic. :)

I had the constant dogpiles too - I remember this game vividly now that someone brought it back from the dead...only difference was the dogpiles were late enough that I could defend with PRO archers. Think this was one of the longest games I ever played looking back - 7+ hours - ugly slog!

I wouldn't mind giving it another go but I'm too hooked on skyrim these days.

Hehehe, thread necromancy is fun.

Spoiler :
Tbh I only do it because I think someone (dalamb?) told me that it's fine to resurrect old games for instructional purposes.

Haven't played this yet since I'm too addicted to playing Battlefield 3, but I plan to someday.

One thing I've found on my last Emperor/Normal playthrough: Doing a Cuirs Rush will be pretty hard on this map because all the AI's have really high unitprobs, and they prioritize military techs. You may end up fighting against Grenadiers where in a normal game you would be fighting against Longbows.

Top Bottom