Monarch Student X - Charlemagne

any ideas on the next leader? Going back to MS V (I'm not sure who was used in 1-4, so just ignore if I use a repeat,) we haven't used org, cha or ind. For leaders, that's De Gaulle, Roosevelt and Nappy. For selfish reasons I would suggest Nappy, since org/cha is a very powerful combo, and I'm looking to move up a level ;)

I personally think ind trait leads to wonder spam and easy wins. If you go French use Nappy for org/Cha.

I would like to see Germans used but one is phil and the other is indus. Would be nice to have a leader without one of those. :(

German factory and UU are fun but it would need a map where these could come into play. I wonder if an advanced start game would be interesting? Not seen a single game on here use that. Might be ideal for the Germans.

Lets do something different!!!

For my part can we stop editing maps making them over crowded with hostile neighbours.

any ideas on the next leader? Going back to MS V (I'm not sure who was used in 1-4, so just ignore if I use a repeat,) we haven't used org, cha or ind. For leaders, that's De Gaulle, Roosevelt and Nappy. For selfish reasons I would suggest Nappy, since org/cha is a very powerful combo, and I'm looking to move up a level ;)

Didn't we have a nappy game awhile back with Bismarck, Izzy, JC and Charlie? I seem to recall lighting that one up with the ridiculous war synergies of CHA and ORG. Maybe that was another series, but I remember just blowing up on that map.

I love CHA though - supermedic here I come.

I just wish it could be posted tonight - my wife always goes shopping thursday nights, so I'm always free to play on Thurs nights.

First things first, Lansky:

Spoiler :

Yours was an interesting plan and I actually started my last round following your tips. The war vs Hannibal was going quite well.

But then I realized it was a perfect game for culture and replayed from 1600AD. Got a 1935 corp-based culture win.

I'll report tomorrow my last round.

About the next game.
- Overload of warmongering jerks: I agree. Next game will be more relaxing. I will still pick the rivals, but less psychos this time.

- Leader. I was thinking about Lincoln or Washington. Both leaders have a very strong trait combo, imo.
This way we go from Charlie's bad traits/good uniques to strong traits/bad uniques.
I'm considering Elizabeth as well.
Roosevelt was one of the latest LHC and Nap was in a recent NC.

- About the day. It's the same for me. Don't know about your time-zone, but it's bed-time over here. So this week we'll stick to Friday. But from the next I'll upload the game on Thursday.

EDIT: I think I'll have to write down an index somewhere. It started as an experiment and we are at MS X.

Sounds good - I'm eastern standard US time, so I'm sitting here in prime game time right now with the wife at the store!

I haven't played America in awhile - that'll be fun. Useful UU and UB if the game goes late.

let's play america at some heavy-watered map with many small landmasses, to make sure we'll see all that modern american stuff.

Don't really have a preference for leader - don't think i'd like archi though. I don't mind shipping around armies too much, but never liked the fact that the AI's can't manage to land a decent stack to attack with on those maps. Whatever the game is, i really need a win this time! Have had a few tough losses lately, after being on a pretty good streak of success. Nothing like some hard losses to force improvement though. Learn much more from those games than wins most of the time. Still having trouble keeping up with the AI's on emperor after mid-game unless i'm #1 in land. So i need to keep working on that, or keep working on strats to make sure i'm #1 in land by then... :)

HRG alone on a island would of been a culture victory really with 5-6 religions. Thats another strategy though.

Still to report the last round of this one. Emp/epic, no events, 1600 - end:

Spoiler :

First, I don't know what went wrong in my game. What was supposed to be a bloody warmongering fragfest turned into a boy-scout summer camp. Don't ask me why, I don't know.
I had a massive dogpile vs Churchill in the late BCs, ended with his wipe-out around 700AD.
Then Shaka declared vs me twice and both times with a really pathetic force. The second time he basically committed suicide, declaring war vs me with a defensive pact with Suleiman and Kub. Suleiman captured his 3 main cities and capitulated him.
In the last round (1600 - 1900something), no wars at all. I just bribed Sulei vs Shaka again.
Kub never declared vs anyone. Same for Nap, but he ended completely sandwiched between my and Brennus' culture. A lot of defensive pacts everywhere and pretty much everyone was pleased/friendly with everyone else.

So I just went for a late corp-based culture win, with 2 main religions (hindu and buddhism) available, plus confucianism.

1625 - Finally I have something to trade. Physics to Suleiman for Economics and Constitution. Adopt free market and Hannibal is pleased again (safe).

1742 - Biology - Medicine after Physics and Sushi is founded.

1748 - Nap beats me to Creative Constructions at some point but then spreads it to me. Thanks Nap.

1804 - Bad news. Shaka breaks free from Sulei.

1832 - Now one of the things I hate the most in this game. I'm the first to Mass Media and the tech is stolen by TWO different civs before I can even get the chance to trade it around. Stolen before the start of the turn (tech windos pop-up). They instantly know I have researched it, have a spy ready in a city and enough EP to steal it.
It happens quite often, but this is the first time I have a tech stolen by TWO different civs right when I research it.
I know the AI don't cheat with combat odds and stuff like that. But this is utter bullcrap. Totally unfair, as it can screw the chance to catch up in a tech-challenging game. And there is no counter to such bs.

Anyway, I found Civilized Jewelers with a stored GA and the science slider goes down to 0%.

Diplo when research is stopped. Han is cautious again but will soon be pleased:

And techs:

1852 - GE at 4% odds builds Wall Street.

1860 - Nap becomes Brennus' vassal.

1866 - GA bombs Prague.

1870 - Shaka becomes Hannibal's vassal.

1880 - Nap breaks free again.

1884 - Suleiman is going for culture, EP focused on him.

1893 - GA bombs Prague.

1900 - Actually there is an easy way to prevent Sulei's culture win:

1904 - And Suleiman's third city (former Zulu capital) now needs over 100 turns.

1905 - Of course Brennus is going for culture as well. 23 turns to go for his last city. EP focused on him.

1909 - Every non-culture city is ALT-building spies with the waypoint set on Brennus' third city. I'm trying the "destroy his health" approach, but it's too slow. Should've started earlier.

1911 - GA bombs Prague.

1913 - UN forces peace between Shaka and Suleiman.

1919 - Brennus drops to cautious for spy troubles. If he declares I'm toast. He has mech inf and modern armors vs my cannons and medieval junk.
My third city needs 22 turns, Brennus 9, but I'm keeping it in constant revolt. And it lost 6-7 pop as well.

1912 - Both Hannibal and Nap are under heavy culture pressure. Sicca (NE carthage city) revolts and joins my empire.

1917 - Aachen hits legendary status. 8 turns for Prague, 13 for Vienna.
4 turns for Brennus, but his city is stuck in revolt.

1929 - GA bombs Vienna. 6 turns for me, 4 for Brennus.

1932 - Vienna legendary and I've surpassed Brennus:

FInally:

Demographics. Probably could have pulled off a diplo win:

Stats:

Cities:

Score:

Aachen. Switched to spies when it hit legendary. I was running Caste and didn't bother to defy Emancipation the last time. Was 3-4 turns from victory anyway.

Prague:

Vienna with my modern stack:

Brennus is not amused by my culture win:

This is why Nap was so docile in this game:

Spy party in Brennus' third city:

Techs:

A few def pacts expired when I bribed Suleiman vs Shaka:

Brennus was a bit pissy at the end:

Power of corporations. Someone spread Mining Inc to my cities:

Wall Street corp HQ. Built it in my Moai city to have some decent production to spam executives:

Spoiler :
lol did anybody win their game? i started over a few times. first time i thought i could get a cultural victory starting my religion with all the juicy wonders from marble. started ok, but like a ****** i decided to go with the religion i founded because i was too lazy to wait for the main ai's. around 700 ad 3 civs declared on me and that was that.

this time around i wanted to grab the gold and ivory before nap could get there which i did. then he declared on me. i was wondering why i was 5 techs ahead of him, he built nothing but swordsmen and axemen all game. But the ai is dumb tho. i murdered his stack with my protective archers of doom and made a stack of my own.

took paris and two more. I feel like I'm doomed for some reason though maybe someone can take a look at my save and give me some advice :confused:.

Attachments

• MS X - Charlemagne AD-0625 second try.CivBeyondSwordSave
    224.8 KB · Views: 66
Emperor/Normal, No Huts/Events.

Failed the first time I tried this. But this time, I plan to try some new, unconventional tactics, like founding a religion and taking advantage of our Stone/Marble.

And I failed the second time. Tried to SSE into a Cuir Rush vs. Nappy, but he wasn't as soft as the targets I was used to haha.

I think my quality of play has plummeted, I'm just not winning games like I did before.

How did you find this thread mtr12? :)
Almost two years old!

Never passing up a chance to play good old Charlie?
You really enjoy the landsknecht I assume? ;)

Hmm, this is like bringing up an old wound sorta, though I forget the map. Maybe I'll play it now for "revenge" (I do enjoy going back to games I once failed and beating them).

Hmm, this is like bringing up an old wound sorta, though I forget the map. Maybe I'll play it now for "revenge" (I do enjoy going back to games I once failed and beating them).

I noted in your comments from 2009, that you were quite hot for founding religions back then!
Might have other ideas now? ;)

How did you find this thread mtr12? :)
Almost two years old!

Never passing up a chance to play good old Charlie?
You really enjoy the landsknecht I assume? ;)

Charlie used to be my favorite leader when I was a Prince. Today, I'm just being masochistic I guess.

If I were Isabella instead of Craplemagne, I would have beat this by now.

Well, maybe someday when I'm more skilled :(

Top Bottom