Monarch Student^ XIII- Boudica

With more practice warfare games with boudica I came to prefer a hybrid approach...

Basically I start with G promoted units massed, survivors get to G3. Then I start mixing in some siege, and some of the new units I will give city assault to instead of Guerrilla.

First siege weakens the stack defending the city first, then the disposable 3-4 Gallic with CR kill or weaken the best defending units (usually archers with CG), then the G3 Gallic come in and do most of the work while minimizing losses with their retreat chance.

It works great... in my last game a lot of the G3 units ended up at level 7-8+... quite the elite army. :)

I think now that G3 is good, as long as you don't send them against ridiculous odds like the 3% in my previous game. I guess that was the main reason why my Gallic were dying a lot, their chance of retreat is a lot less than 50% when the odds are extremely bad.

If I dare speculate a bit on the reason, I think they retreat when their health drops bellow a threshold, like 10% or so. If you send them against horrible odds, the enemy unit will have more chances to last hit for more than 10% damage, bypassing the threshold and killing them before they can even attempt a retreat.

Withdraw takes effect only when the unit is going to die. A dying unit with 60% victory odds withdraws at the same rate as a dying unit with 3% victory odds.

I would say, first attack, do not go G2 unless you can take out some lightly defended cities quickly. Your city to enemy city ratio is at its worst, so with a slow attack I would go cr/cover/shock.
First great general, you can make fresh guerilla 3 troops, if you prefer. Don't expect withdrawal troops to get highly promoted. They weaken, other troops cleanup and mass promotions.
With siege, use collateral, send in withdrawers against the top defender, then send in cleanup.

Hi all.
I've achieved my first win on emperor in Washington's game, now I'm tempted in this game to try my first cultural victory.
It seems me that the game is going well towards this goal, but I've never tried this kind of victory, so I'm totally unable :blush:

I'd ask you some advice, in general and in the specific about my game, thank you.

Emperor/Normal -> 1AD

Never played with a Celt's leader before:
Spoiler :

I've built SH in the capital, after reasearched IW I've waited the border pop to hook up the iron and unlock the UU.

So I've went against Monty, killed his first Settler which was around and took his capital that is the buddhist holy city (so he's died)-

I've found the UU quite funny... with Literature incoming I didn't be able to build HE so early before!

I've used the GP popped in the capital to build the buddhist shrine:

Meanwhile, I've built the Oracle and then the Great Library in the capital

Instead, Mecca is one turn from ToA:

So, at 1 AD my empire is seriously undersized (although it seems me that there is a good amount of good land available yet):

And so I've thought about a possible cultural victory.

Tech situation:

Thank you! :)

Attachments

• MSXIII Boudica [CBPE] AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    122.5 KB · Views: 46
Well, I read this guide:
Cultural Victory on the Higher Levels by Jesusin and tried to apply...

it seems to work: my first cultural victory!

1 AD -> 1765
Spoiler :

1 turn from Victory:

My six cities:

Then ...

The Celt's Capital, first to reach the legendary status:

Mecca taken from Monty by the UU' rush, the second (a GA is about to finish the job):

Thanks for hosting :)

You play too fast for me!
Usually, I've completed just one third of my game when most of you have already finished!
(sometimes I've just opened the thread when some of you have already finished :p)

Top Bottom