Mongolia

Remember how strong his UA was when it wasn't on a cooldown. It overperformed most of the time as long as it had city-states to heavy annex. Even when it didn't have a cooldown, them having a fight on city-state borders suddenly had it be annexed out of nowhere. Having it be restricted to a Sphere of Influence is just nerfing Mongolia. 8(at most considering the current cooldown) Sphere of Influences isn't as strong as 8 free cities. Not to mention Sphere of Influences don't work pre-world congress code-wise, so that idea is thrown off the table.

Unless suddenly we want to establish Permanent Alliances with City-States outside of Sphere of Influences, then that's a different detail to discuss on.
Before the cooldown it was great for the AI because on high difficulties Mongolia would annex like 4 cities within the first 100 turns and snowball out of control form there.

I don't think the cooldown even affects humans because I've never tried to use it more than once a game.

The Mongols are supposed to be a sort of counterpick to diplo civs, correct? We don't want them to be a diplo civ, we just want them to ruin DVs for other people. The problem I have with the sphere of influence idea is that it necessarily makes Mongolia a strong contender for DV. I don't get the feeling we want to pivot Mongolia that way.

So, that gives 2 options: Either they can destroy CSs, or they can erode other player's influence.

People like getting heavy tribute without necessarily getting a whole city, so what about some of these options?:
  • When Mongolia demands tribute, All civilizations lose -30:c5influence: Influence with the target City-State if they are friends/allies, have a pledge of protection, or have an embassy.
    • So, civs that aren't affected if they aren't interacting with that CS, but you could lose 90 influence if you have all 3.
  • All civilizations lose 3 :c5influence: Influence every turn with City-States who Mongolia can demand tribute from.
    • So, Mongolia passively erodes other civ's influence if a CS is intimidated by Mongolia, basically a reverse Gunboat Diplomacy
  • City States which Mongolia can demand tribute from do not provide votes to the :c5citystate:World Congress.
    • Mongolia can passively lock out votes if it can manage to intimidate CSs
  • Mongolia steals :c5citystate:World Congress votes for 30 turns when demanding Heavy Tribute.
    • So, Ghengis Khan can take votes from a CS's allies and use them himself for the next WC vote, then the votes reverts to the ally for the next vote.
I like the first one the most, or just -60:c5influence: Influence regardless of status.
All other options are for set amount of turns instead of single instant effect, which makes it much more opaque.

The Mongols are supposed to be a sort of counterpick to diplo civs, correct? We don't want them to be a diplo civ, we just want them to ruin DVs for other people. The problem I have with the sphere of influence idea is that it necessarily makes Mongolia a strong contender for DV. I don't get the feeling we want to pivot Mongolia that way.
I personally don't want Mongols to be counterpick. Counterpicks idea in civ game suck. As ElliotS mentioned - Japan's stuff was removed for a reason and that reason was - it make the game less fun and more frustrating. Same with Mongols. I think Mongols will be a very interesting civ with a very unique gameplay. It is also a lot of fun because you have different types of city-states: which one is better to get as an Ally - Religious or Cultural?
Is this idea is impossible code-wise please let me know @Gazebo.
To be clear here's my current suggestion:
When demanding heavy tribute Mongolia can establish a permanent alliance / sphere of influence with a city state once every 50 turns. Mongolia can tribute friends and allies, but still loses influence like normal.
If this is not possible code-wise then simply having it work the was as T3 tenet in Autocracy is just fine. In fact in my opinion it is even better. Just make Mongolia's heavy tribute give them +60:c5influence: and thats it. Probably even without cooldown cause it will make it very bad lategame. Or it should be something like 45:c5influence:+15:c5influence:(scaling with era)
I like the first one the most, or just -60:c5influence: Influence regardless of status.
I dislike that because it is useless for the first 120 turns in the game. It should be +60

How is it useless? Civs could lose allies and friends. I'm not arguing that exactly -60:c5influence: Influence is the right amount, it could be more or less.

How is it useless? Civs could lose allies and friends. I'm not arguing that exactly -60:c5influence: Influence is the right amount, it could be more or less.
How is it useful? remember that this would work only for those civs and city-states that you met. Even on Pangea you don't meet half of CS before mid-game. Not to mention that it does not give you anything. It just denies stuff to others

What if Mongolia annexed a city state like it currently does, but we add a bonus to it. When you annex a city state, you get it's yields as a bonus. the same yields you would get if you were a friend or ally. So by conquering it, you gain the benefits of friendship.

How is it useful? remember that this would work only for those civs and city-states that you met. Even on Pangea you don't meet half of CS before mid-game. Not to mention that it does not give you anything. It just denies stuff to others
You get bonus from heavy tributes and additionally to that you make it harder for other civs to get bonuses and vote from the CS. Why would it work only on civs that you have met?

What if Mongolia annexed a city state like it currently does, but we add a bonus to it. When you annex a city state, you get it's yields as a bonus. the same yields you would get if you were a friend or ally. So by conquering it, you gain the benefits of friendship.
I was thinking about that, if it is possible code-wise then i'm okay with it

What about this as their full UA:
"Mongol Terror: Mounted ranged units get +2 :c5moves: and ignore ZoC. For every former city state controlled by the Mongolians, they gain +1 :c5culture:/:c5food:/:c5gold:/:c5production:/:c5science:/:c5faith: in each city. +25% :c5strength: vs city state units and +50% :c5strength: against city state cities."

This removes the wonky hard-cooldown heavy tribute ability entirely, allows them to be anti-diplomacy in a very straightforward way, and is easy to understand.

The yields it grants are very open to adjustment, as this was just a first draft. My thoughts are: There are 16 city states in an average game. The ones you can take are generally ones you can friend or ally, so to make it better to take it over you need to give yields that are worth more than tribute and more than a vote and more than an ally.

The yields don't need to scale with era as your number of cities and number of city states taken will. I didn't want to give it specific yields based on the type of city state as it seemed difficult to track or do.

"Mongol Terror: Mounted ranged units get +2 :c5moves: and ignore ZoC. For every former city state controlled by the Mongolians, they gain +1 :c5culture:/:c5food:/:c5gold:/:c5production:/:c5science:/:c5faith: in each city. +25% :c5strength: vs city state units and +50% :c5strength: against city state cities."

This removes the wonky hard-cooldown heavy tribute ability entirely, allows them to be anti-diplomacy in a very straightforward way, and is easy to understand.
This is just so boring and unfun

The yields it grants are very open to adjustment, as this was just a first draft. My thoughts are: There are 16 city states in an average game. The ones you can take are generally ones you can friend or ally, so to make it better to take it over you need to give yields that are worth more than tribute and more than a vote and more than an ally.

The yields don't need to scale with era as your number of cities and number of city states taken will. I didn't want to give it specific yields based on the type of city state as it seemed difficult to track or do.

It keeps them as an anti-diplo civ which I like but it doesn't necessarily capture the whole "scare people into submission" thing the Mongols had going on. Though the Mongols also had the "capture cities and kill everyone" thing too so maybe it still works thematically.

I would argue it is definitely an improvement over the current UA.

Maybe if we wanted to go Mongol's old UA it seems fresh, but it's otherwise a nerf.

It would absolutely not be a nerf as written.
It still doesn't really address the fact that I generally want to keep CS'es around and if I do want to conquer city states I don't really need combat boosts. I get bonuses now I guess but I still won't want to conquer more than maybe 1-2 CSes. Early game heavy tribute is way better than those yields, later the delegates are more valuable.

I'd prefer if the Mongols had as part of their UA the ability to demand tribute from friendly states (increasing/reducing their or others' influence level - so a bit different from the Autocracy T3 tenet) and if they'd gain +50% (or some other percentage) more yields from demanding tribute from CS.

It still doesn't really address the fact that I generally want to keep CS'es around and if I do want to conquer city states I don't really need combat boosts. I get bonuses now I guess but I still won't want to conquer more than maybe 1-2 CSes. Early game heavy tribute is way better than those yields, later the delegates are more valuable.
Let me do the math: Heavy tribute is about 80 :c5production: early game, and can be done every 16-20 turns. That comes out to 4-5 yields per turn if you bully non-stop. This would be significantly more yields, though it doesn't offer a burst of yields. It would also grow better because it scale with cities. The yield are in each city, so as the game goes on a single city state could be worth 10+ of each of those yields per turn. (With varying value between the yields.) This seems better than tributing or allying those city states.

Also while you don't get the delegate, no one else does either. If we want to compete on that front they could get +1 delegate per CS taken as well.

I was told Mongolia should not be a diplo civ, though I kinda disagree. I'm going to throw up a poll to get our lean. Hopefully this will reduce the nature of this thread having 2 clear camps: diplo bonus and no diplo bonus. May the best idea win!

Here is the poll.

I'd prefer if the Mongols had as part of their UA the ability to demand tribute from friendly states (increasing/reducing their or others' influence level - so a bit different from the Autocracy T3 tenet) and if they'd gain +50% (or some other percentage) more yields from demanding tribute from CS.
That's stepping in Zulu's toes a bit isn't it?

The focus of Zulu's UA is that it's easier for them to demand tribute, and the focus of the proposed Mongol UA would be that they can demand tribute from friendly CS. Just like with France and Japan - they both get GA/GW/GM points in their capital from waging war, but with somewhat different focuses (France with capturing cities, Japan with generating GGs/GAs).

I looked at the straw poll, I'd actually vote for a fourth option that isn't there, i.e. it shouldn't interact with diplomacy, but should interact with city states (currently the 3rd option says no to both diplomacy and CS interaction).

Top Bottom