[NFP] Monopolies and Corporations Game Mode Discussion Thread

Another small detail and this time also something contradicting the civilopedia description of the mode:

IndustryCivilopedia.jpg

The "existing improvement" is not a mandatory condition (or at least poorly worded), as you can build the Industry improvement even on a unimproved ressource, as long as you somehow fulfil the condition of having access to 2 sources (be it by having the same ressource already improved twice elsewhere and/or from a suzerained CS):
Spoiler :

DirectIndustryBuilding.jpg

This can save you - given you have sufficient time and ressource access - a builder charge.

I normally don't use Anansi to directly take luxuries away from neighbors (I prefer to pick around their edges), but monopolies sure make it tempting.

On the stream he said that 'Monopolies provide tourism equal to the number of resources controlled, multiplied by the number of foreign civs who do not control an instance of the monopolised resource.'
Yeah, as it is right now in my Vietnam run I need just one monopoly - 7/11 Olives and 8 opponents (though one of them has one olive) - so the game computes 7x8x5% = 280% and applies this as a multiplier to every opponent (effectively, it gets multiplied by opponents squared!). This will translate into a fairly quick win as soon as my Thanhs generate tourism.
What would make more sense IMO: 7 olives x 5% = 35%, apply this multiplier to every opponent who lacks olives . Now you have a nice incentive to take away your opponent's one olive (pillage or take away) to get this multiplier against them, too.
However the sentence above would lead to a reasonable 7x7 = 49 tourism against everyone - I could live with that. (or maybe a 49% multiplier against every opponent)

I'm not sure Court Festivals get the monopoly bonus. I pretty clearly have a pre-Mercantalism monopoly at turn 90 with 9 cocoa (abundant resources map and I removed 2 cocoa from Egypt with Anansi and a 3rd potential cocoa for them). I just popped two court festivals at 50 tourism and 50 culture each and it didn't move the tourism needle (big culture boost, however). 50 tourism isn't a lot, but 2 of them plus the monopoly bonuses should have at least given me some tourists. 9 * 5% * 7 opponents (or do you count as well, so 8?)

Anyways, monopolies are still broken, but maybe Catherine doesn't break them more. Or maybe she does. Don't know yet.

Has anyone been able to find where these modifiers are in the game files? Its a shame because the mode is a lot of fun but this totally breaks things (like the massive free city blob issue with dramatic ages)

Just imagine what this mode could have been with a full expansion behind it. You could have policy cards that affect industries, corps, and products, as well as WC resolutions that could benefit or hinder all three of them. And the possibility of a civ that could exploit the features would be delicious.

Throw in an Economic Victory condition, the usual eight new civilizations, and one new alternate leader and you've got yourself enough to market an expansion on.

They could had at least used Liang's fishery graphic...

I would have much preferred that to what we got.

No way are teh numbers correct, I am generating flat 96 tourisms, and am about to win in 8ish turns. +1320%? Defeniately can't be right.

Has anyone been able to find where these modifiers are in the game files?

These numbers now seem more and more like some oversight in the code. Definitely need a bug report on the bug subforum.

In relation to this point - the new City-State introduced two months ago, Ayutthaya, has a % bonus problem (instead of give 10% bonus, it gives 60%) caused by modifiers not working properly. I assume that the problem behind the monopoly modifiers might be a similar one.

More economic (and diplomatic) complexity might just be what's missing in Civ VI for me. This mode is a step in the right direction, I had fun in my last playthrough when I bullied smaller civs for their resourceful terrain, but there still could be more (and more balanced) content there and it could really be great. An expansion would be a dream.

Edit: also, trader lens

Last edited:
How so you form a corporation? I thought you had to take a GM, put him on an industry, and you do something and it forms a corporation at the expense of the GM. I've put a GM on both my diamonds ind. and my ivory ind., and nothing obvious has come up? Is there a civic or tech requirement or something?

How so you form a corporation? I thought you had to take a GM, put him on an industry, and you do something and it forms a corporation at the expense of the GM. I've put a GM on both my diamonds ind. and my ivory ind., and nothing obvious has come up? Is there a civic or tech requirement or something?
You need Economics, I believe.

You can see monopolies on the "resources" report, after Mercantilism.

I'm looking at this in a purely pragmatic way at the moment. I've been going through the files looking for modifiers we can scale down so that monopolies give reasonable amounts of tourism, so that we can keep playing with this mode on, and I can't seem to find any (although my experience with modding is way less than others here).

so what is your overall opinion on this mode? Nay because it is OP and shouldn't be tried until Fraxis nerfs them a bit?

A return of corporations

Its a great addition to the game....but I do wish it had an effect on bonus resources too-the way they did back in Civilization IV. So grant us Empire wide bonuses for controlling large amounts of Copper, or Stone or Rice.

so what is your overall opinion on this mode? Nay because it is OP and shouldn't be tried until Fraxis nerfs them a bit?
I don't know if I'd wait, but I'd certainly turn off cultural victory though. I didn't even get to use corporations because I won on the same turn I unlocked economics. I think its definitely good conceptually, but wow it hands you the CV.

Has anyone used corporations with the Owls secret society? I have no mods but only one Gilded Vault shows up on the Great Work screen even though I have built them in several cities. I just established my first corporation but the one GV has no slot for a product and as I said none of the other GV from other cities are listed on the Great Work screen.

Top Bottom