[NFP] Monopolies and Corporations Game Mode Discussion Thread

I was able to secure a monopoly last game I won. I had 6/10 of the nodes controlled, and when I moved a great merchant over my industry it gave me no option to make the monopoly.

Is there a guide out there on how to do it?

I was able to secure a monopoly last game I won. I had 6/10 of the nodes controlled, and when I moved a great merchant over my industry it gave me no option to make the monopoly.

Is there a guide out there on how to do it?

Keep in mind there are two things: monopolies and corporations.

Monopoly is just a status you are awarded when controlling >50% resources in the map. It shows in the global resources screen, and provides gold and tourism bonuses.

Corporation is the building that improves an industry. It is the one created by great merchants on the map. Base requirements are having 3+ Improved resources of the type. Note there are limitations, however. Only one corporation for each resource is allowed in the map at any time. Therefore:
- you cannot build two corporations of the same resource type
- in the (now improbable unless multiplayer) case other player has built the resource corporation, you need more resources than him to “steal” the corporation. (You will build it, he would lose his).
Corporation increases the industry bonus for the city it is located in and allows to build products.

Now, if you were trying to build a corporation, and not a monopoly and had more than 50% resources in the map and no other corporation built, there is no reason you should not be able to build one, and it must be checked.

Monopoly is just a status you are awarded when controlling >50% resources in the map. It shows in the global resources screen, and provides gold and tourism bonuses.

Corporation is the building that improves an industry. It is the one created by great merchants on the map. Base requirements are having 3+ Improved resources of the type. Note there are limitations, however. Only one corporation for each resource is allowed in the map at any time. Therefore:
- in the (now improbable unless multiplayer) case other player has built the resource corporation, you need more resources than him to “steal” the corporation. (You will build it, he would lose his).
Corporation increases the industry bonus for the city it is located in and allows to build products.

Now, if you were trying to build a corporation, and not a monopoly and had more than 50% resources in the map and no other corporation built, there is no reason you should not be able to build one, and it must be checked.

Yeah, I will have to try in my next game. It seemed odd to me. I saw someone on YouTube do it no problem. I will try again.

Also obviously all the pieces unlock at different times. You need the actual tech for Corporation to actually be able to found it, so you might have to hold that merchant for a few hundred years waiting if you're not that far in the tech tree.

I figured it out from another poster. I didn’t have Economics unlocked yet...duh.

I can't create a corporation, I have my great merchant sitting on my industry tile, have all techs researched, and have a monopoly, but I don't see any option on the great merchant to create a corporation.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things.
But just in case, do you have 3 sources of that luxury?

Did you already use a charge on the merchant? I didn't test for myself, but I know when playing before, the guys with multiple charges like Crassus when you use the first charge, there's a warning that once you use that you can't use them for a corporation later.

@sbq Are you sure you don't already have a corporation in that city ? I think you can have multiple industries, but only one corporation in a single city

After playing a decent amount of time on Hotseat, I find this mode to be great fun. It's another mode like Heroes whose quality gets diminished by the AI seemingly unable to handle it. I find the new added dimension of unique bonuses from different resources and products from corporations a welcomed addition. The issue with monopolies is less noticeable in multiplayer/hotseat because opponents don't just sit around waiting for you to win.

Mine seems to be broken somehow. I have 9 copies of whales, and 3 copies of turtles, and I get no tourism benefit from either of them. I even have industries on both, although that isn't supposed to make any difference. The report screen says I have all the copies on the map of both of these, including a couple of other resources. I'm also running zero mods. I'm playing as Kupe.

Mine seems to be broken somehow. I have 9 copies of whales, and 3 copies of turtles, and I get no tourism benefit from either of them. I even have industries on both, although that isn't supposed to make any difference. The report screen says I have all the copies on the map of both of these, including a couple of other resources. I'm also running zero mods. I'm playing as Kupe.

There are normally only two sea resources on the map. There may well be c. 24 instances of each. > 60% of 24 would be 15 instances.

There are normally only two sea resources on the map. There may well be c. 24 instances of each. > 60% of 24 would be 15 instances.
It's based on total number of luxuries? I thought it was total number improved by civs. I had 9 improved, nobody else had any. Well, that would explain it, since I can see at least 9 more on the map that I don't control.

Top Bottom