[NFP] Monopolies and Corporations Game Mode Discussion Thread

Maui nerfed, I cry...

Vietnam and Kublai Khan Pack
· [Babylon Pack] Hero ability “Maui’s Inventions” will now only spawn a random resource that already exists in the world to prevent players from being granted a Monopoly on a single resource.
· Fixed an issue causing redundant failure messages for Corporation creation.
· Fixed an issue causing Kublai Khan’s agenda to not count negative modifiers towards military power.
· Fixed a crash that would occur when a player tried to steal a Corporation from another player.

BTW, unless I missed something in my game yesterday, it seems the amenities granted by great merchants do not count as monopolies, is that right? Perfume, toys, jeans, etc

Yeah I got my timing off - it's actually a month lol, it does take a combination of modes though unless anyone can show me a game with just Monopolies mode on and these crazy early wins?

No it does not take a combination of modes, the requirements for reaching 500 - 1000% tourism modifiers have been detailed in several threads on this forum so please do your own research as to the error in your argument

My GPU crashed while playing the game I started earlier today. Just before I could use Maui (the prepatch version that can generate all resources)
Right away steam forced the latest patch on my install.

Luckily it seem Firaxis implemented a way to revert to the previous patch. I'm glad that exists.
"ineedlegacyaccess" beta code

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 47
Just to post it here: Firaxis agree there is some kind of bug with tourism modifier. It was unclear what exactly they are going to change it to, but their are aware and working on it. From Carl:
As mentioned in our stream, the fix for the tourism bug with Monopolies is coming. Turnaround for bugs in the wild can take a while—we have to hear about it, confirm it, test it, make sure everything is okay. In the meantime, keep in mind that the multiplier only gets compounded if you have multiple monopolies—industries and corporations alone have no effect.

Just to post it here: Firaxis agree there is some kind of bug with tourism modifier. It was unclear what exactly they are going to change it to, but their are aware and working on it. From Carl:

What is this infamous glitch and how do I avoid it?

What is this infamous glitch and how do I avoid it?

Essentially, a Monopoly that should be providing a +50% tourism bonus will provide a +150% bonus against 3 players, a +250% bonus against 5 players, or +1000% bonus against 20 players. (Because tourism is applied to all opponents, that would be a total of +450%/1250%/20000% total generated tourism respectively.)

You can avoid this by not playing this mode (duh), disabling tourism altogether (turn off culture victory), or by playing against only 1 opponent. :p

Is there a way to check if you have a monopoly before Mercantilism? In my last game I have 5/6 cocoa and I see no bonuses at all (money, tourism).
Thanks in advance.

Is there a way to check if you have a monopoly before Mercantilism? In my last game I have 5/6 cocoa and I see no bonuses at all (money, tourism).
Thanks in advance.

You get a historic moment for your first monopoly but other than that the only way would be to count every instance of a resource on the map.

Apropos of that, I have noticed an interesting trait of AI civs when trading. They propose quite elaborate trades in which they demand a luxury and multiple strategic resources and offer a mix of things, often including a great work. On balance, the deal would usually be bad value if you accepted it. But if you remove everything except one luxury from you and one from them, they accept this happily. Grrrr - why didn't you propose that in the first place? When monopolies mode is active, this never happens because they only ever have one copy of any luxury.

Thanks in advance.

You can see if you're getting a tourism or gold bonus, but it won't tell you the details. So you might get "+45 gold for monopolies", but you don't really know what that comes from other than counting instances and guessing.

I am rather confused by how monopolies work - according to Civ Fandom, the tourism bonus should be more variable than the {some number} times 125%.

Civ Fandom seems to indicate that anywhere from 25% (on a 6-civ map) when I have the only copy of a resource improved on the map. But I seem to start at 125% period, though, I could be mistaken.

Also, after Mercantilism, I am being told that I have 4 monopolies, yet I only have a +250% bonus...

What am I missing? Many thanks in advance!

Is there a screen for monopolies and corporations? How can you check?
At the bottom of the reports menu (though not included yet in Better Reports Screen mod).

For all that people are complaining that Firaxis doesn't playtest, it's quite possible to play this mode and not get outrageous bonuses. This is an example - you would be quite justified in saying, "Problem? What problem?".

Completely hear you, my goal is to just understand how it works - that's all... if you told me that it was 25% bonus for each monopoly, that'd be just fine... again, just looking to understand

More importantly though, have they acknowledged the bug that the AI isnt improving luxuries anymore?
I don't think they did. There is a mod fixing it with some side effects...

Its not just this. The AI is completly broken since 1.0.9.9 and even now in actual Patch. Look at the AI Lands. Nearly no Luxuries get connected. Thats why the AI has nearly no Luxury to trade. And that until the very lategame.

Has to do with the new Monopoly Game Mode. If this is chosen, the AI wont connect Luxuries. Just a few in the Start City.

See Bugreport:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/1-0-9-9-ai-not-improving-resources.666943/

Top Bottom