Monsters!!

Hanny

Prince
So which D and D monsters would people like to be in game?, and how would they be best implemented?, as dungeon dwellers perhaps, to be recruited for use....or killed for their treasure.....

Raggamoffyn...
LOL :mwaha:

Beholders!!

Could cast multiple evil spells.
Found rarely in random dungeons and in the improvement "Lair of the Beholder" guarding great treasure.

Of course, some monsters could me mentioned in lair results without having to have a unit made up. Like the Gelatinous Cube...

Of course, some monsters could me mentioned in lair results without having to have a unit made up. Like the Gelatinous Cube...

yes indeed, thats more eye candy and atmosphere with just text.

Marnok, have you thought about having dungeons appear over time as a resource does?, ie its placed initially and can disappear and re-appear as does a resource does. in that way you could have more advanced or exotic level dungeons appear later in the game.

Is this do-able?

The problem, as I think Kael mentioned somewhere, is that lairs are improvements and it would be odd if you couldn't build say, a farm or a mine in a plot, because an invisible dungeon is there.

My approach will be (and I am working on it, promise!) to let monsters establish new lairs over time. Combine with the events which can cause a lair to pop up... or new ones which could turn an existing improvement into a lair - spider infested mine event could be turned into "our miners keep vanishing. Something down there is killing them.... (spawn an Infested Mine lair)"

Beholders and the Gelatinous Cube are absolute musts.

[to_xp]Gekko;7374215 said:
monsters creating dungeons sound like an awesome addition. bravo! :)

That has been the old way how the modmod was (from the very start if i remember correctly) and one of the things which kept enough lairs on a map to keep you easily entertained the whole! game (and i mean games of 400+ turns). So don't fear on that part. It has allready been solved. Better than invisible lairs could ever do...
(but Kael is wise in saying he doesn't want it to be the dominating feature and with the lairbuilder promotion (that was how it has been handled) the map is actually really hard to clear if you allow lairs close enough to each other. So thats why that feature didn't make it into the main-mod)
+ sometimes you can capture lairbuilders and create your own lairs one next to another (so there have been some issues with that function...).

Also Liches and Giants could convert lairs which was also very neat (and I'm sure those + graphics will return)... If i remember correctly those were called "the mighty fortress of a hill giant jarl" (spawned giants and different kinds of ogres) and "the seat of power of a fearsome lich".

Even civ-controlled ones btw. My Gibbon-Lich truly loved turning the terrain into a necromancers real-estate paradise. :D
Larry, Curly and Moe likely could do something simmilar with a hill-giant fortress or some...

Guess why I'm craving to play his modmod again... :D

But im glad to have even in main FFH2 seen a Kraken + 5! Azers appear on exploring a single ship-wrek in lategame. That reminds me of the good times with marnok's modmod where those things have been far more common + monsters roaming all over the place...

But i still miss those Death II Giant-Spiders of Doom. :D (Flying ships are in now with the kurios airships. Still the odd flying pirate early was fun... and would pack more punch now...)

@ Topic: Great ideas here though. Keep them coming ...

Some things not just needed in text but also as 'real' units whould be more water-denizens though. And some sea-lairs (deep sea) for those things to spawn in, of course (Krakens, water-walking Eidolons, Speakers and Stygean Guards somehow seem a bit few for those.).
The development of those has been cut due to the modmod migrating into main FFH2 but I'm sure those would play out in a terrific way...
Perhaps ill have a peak into my Monster Manual. Maybe something springs to mind... :)

@ Marnok: I guess you'll keep shipwreks in as replacement for those sunken cities?

The problem, as I think Kael mentioned somewhere, is that lairs are improvements and it would be odd if you couldn't build say, a farm or a mine in a plot, because an invisible dungeon is there.

My approach will be (and I am working on it, promise!) to let monsters establish new lairs over time. Combine with the events which can cause a lair to pop up... or new ones which could turn an existing improvement into a lair - spider infested mine event could be turned into "our miners keep vanishing. Something down there is killing them.... (spawn an Infested Mine lair)"

Nice, so the ai worker ( or whatever unit class does this build of dungeon imporovemnts) would clutter up the barb city radias, and if they take x number of turns, you can at least prevent the map for going top hevy with dungeons, by making the unit class that can build the improvemnet, limited to x number of in game units.

Otoh, the invisable cant build problem could be turned into a feature,could just return a text of " Monsters!, your workers refuse to work here as it is infested with monsters, their must be lair or dungeon near, send troops to civilise the area and then improve the region"

Nice, so the ai worker ( or whatever unit class does this build of dungeon imporovemnts) would clutter up the barb city radias, and if they take x number of turns, you can at least prevent the map for going top hevy with dungeons, by making the unit class that can build the improvemnet, limited to x number of in game units.

Well I initially had an uncommon promotion added to units at random times, which allowed them to build one lair then lose the promo.

The new method is likely to be, that Boss monsters can build one lair each; other lairs will probably appear as the result of events. I an toying with the idea of a Ritual for barbarian allies to make a new lair spawn somewhere in the world.

a ritual would be extremely cool :)

as Blackmantle said, the best part of having monsters and events spawn new lairs is that they'll be a factor all throughout the game instead than only during the early game ( which is sad ) . I wish something similar could be applied to animals as well, aside from playing with a low number of civs of course ( that is boring )

Well I initially had an uncommon promotion added to units at random times, which allowed them to build one lair then lose the promo.

The new method is likely to be, that Boss monsters can build one lair each; other lairs will probably appear as the result of events. I an toying with the idea of a Ritual for barbarian allies to make a new lair spawn somewhere in the world.

Sounds good, do you intend these later appearing lairs to have differnet sets of whats in them than the others?, would they for instance be perment dungeons with unlimited access to the full range of rewards/risk and simply get harder to handle but greater potential reward with each visit?, or just use the mechanism to repulate dungeons on the map?, with the same % of good bad, average, rare events etc rather than a increasing level of bad events with good rewards that only can be obtained via this method, like obtining a hero unit.

Top Bottom