1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MOO2Civ

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Agent327, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Total downloads for MOO2Civ 5.0 are now already past 400. (Also, it has been rated 8.0 on Strategy Informer.) :)

2. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

3. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

4. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Correction: MOO2Civ 5.0 is already at 700+ downloads total. (300+ via CFC and 400+ via Strategy Informer).

:)

5. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

6. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

7. Moby2kBug

Moby2kBug Chieftain

Well its awesome, dude!

8. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Thank you! :D

9. Neuron

Neuron Chieftain

Wow! That's great! I must download it! :)

10. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

Ok, I've played this a few times through and I need to comment fully, for better and for worse:

1) Excellent endeavor, very nice so far -- however:

2) The tech system is rather worthless. Making weapons and armor be merely unit upgrades makes them a joke when they can only be applied as combat experience upgrades. It's much more intelligent to simply tech up to the next ship class and take the preset attack/defense numbers and ignore the other 3/4 of the techs dealing with minor 10% bonuses.

Suggestion: Why not have certain weapon/armor upgrades be prerequisites to unlocking larger ship classes? This forces more techs to become viable.

Example:
    Scout (default) -- no req -- nuclear missile (default) -- no req

Frigate -- req laser cannon -- req merculite missile -- req titanium armor
    Hv Frigate -- req fusion beam

Destroyer -- req mass driver -- require pulson missile -- req tritanium armor
    Hv Destroyer -- req neutron blaster

Cruiser -- req ion cannon -- req anti-matter torpedo -- req zortium armor
    Hv Cruiser -- req graviton beam

Battleship -- req phasor -- req zeon missile -- req neutronium armor
    Hv Battleship -- req gauss cannon

Titan -- req plasma cannon -- req proton torpedo -- req adamantium armor
    Hv Titan - req disrupter cannon

Doom Star -- req mauler device -- req plasma torpedo -- req xentronium armor
    HV Doom -- req death ray

This forces your techs to be directly related to the ships, just like in MOO2. Then make your techs that give combat bonuses make up the combat upgrades, example:

Weapon upgrades: piercing -> enveloping -> continuous -> autofire
    System upgrades: battle scanner -> auto repair ->
    Defense upgrades: jammer -> capacitar -> displacement device -> cloaking

That way as a ship levels, the upgrades unlock as well, which is probably about the time the research has unlocked them. That would make your game WAY closer to MOO2 and much more enjoyable to level, not to mention the AI would be much better.

3) Can you list requirements in the (moo)ilopedia? It would be nice to know what techs unlock starbases and other game improvements. I don't know if it's a bug or a requirement somewhere, but I've noticed I cannot build them or even shipyards on certain star systems (cities) regardless of my resources, techs, or connected starlanes (roads). It'd be nice to know what's required so the player can seek those needs.

Other than that, great game, I hope you take it to another level.

11. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

Okay, there are major flaws here. If you conquer a city/planet, the buildings that are "one per system" cannot be rebuilt. Thus you have to raze the planet. However, a turn after you queue the favored building, it says it can no longer be built -- and for no apparent reason.

The game is not playable beyond the halfway point.

12. Moby2kBug

Moby2kBug Chieftain

@sourboy:
    Nice idea to entangle technology with ship building, yep... must agree, would be much closer to the original.

13. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Well, the promotions/ship building system is currently under revision (v. 5.0 gives just the current state of things), you guys might want to check out the MOO2Civ subforum. (And I'll see if I can copy/paste that post to over there to join in the discussion.) ;)

BTW, the forum is over here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=354

As for the Civilopedia: it's indeed "underdeveloped" at the moment (most entries are simply missing). The problem is that the current version isn't the definitive one, so a lot of further changes can be expected. But any gameplay feedback is most welcome, so thank you for that (as far as the mod let you...).

That's... disturbing. I thought the can't-build-buldings-on-capture bug was squashed by now. I don't suppose you have a savegame or logs.zip to go with it?

14. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

For starters, thank you for listening in a 'constructive' way. I was rather frustrated at the time of the post, thus I tried to add suggestions and not just vent (hey, I'm still pissed about Moo3, so this mod has me excited).

That said, yeah, I'll see if I can post a save game or two for you. I assume I have the newest version, as I d/l your mod within the past week. Three out of three games I have played to date all had this 'unable to build on conquered planets' issue, and the third game I chose to raze, then build up the colony -- but had the same result. That should help narrow your bug search some.

Lastly, what's the deal with Starbases? In my second game I turned the editor on just to see what techs unlocked it, but in my third game -- those techs did NOT unlock it (until I researched Battlestations).

15. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

More weirdness, I see... Well, thanks for the praise (I also didn't really like MOO 3, BTW), but without a little more info I'm not quite sure what to tell you... (With v. 5.0 none of these issues occurred during testgames and this is the only report of these things happening after well over 1,700 downloads.) So you better post those savegames. ;)

16. Rambo919

Rambo919 Chieftain

when I try to startup a game i get

GFC error: failed to initialize the primary control theme

MOO2Civ 5.0

17. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Might download after school.

18. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Sorry to hear, that shouldn't happen. Have you tried reinstalling?

19. Rambo919

Rambo919 Chieftain

Reinstalled the mod yes, does not work.
    I deleted the final frontier mod long ago, could the problem be that MOO2CIV is dependant on it?

20. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

No, that should not cause any problem, because all the necessary FF files have been included in MOO2Civ mod. Did you check the Bugs/Error Reports thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=321316)? I seem to remember "failed to initialize the primary control theme" is due to a graphical error, but don't recall the solution at this moment... :( (Also, if you post bugs/errors there, a co-modder might give you a proper answer.) ;)