MOO3 Revisited

How do you like Moo3?

• The best Moo yet!

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • It's cool, but Moo2 was better.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • It's ok, but I wouldn't recommend it to others.

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • My Moo3 CD's are used as coasters.

Votes: 38 60.3%

• Total voters
I will look around and see if can find some and maybe get started. Been playing more RPG's lately, but time to get in some space games.

[...]

Last edited:
There are a bunch of mods for MoO 3 and even about 30 unofficial bug-fixes (manual patches).
I like it, its more "grand" that anything out there and i like micromanaging my colony DEAs.

I think that both moo2 and moo3 have their own advantages. Both are different type of game. I think that playing moo2 was more fun, more planet graphics, and micromanagement in moo3 is is bit hard and time taking especially in later game, and if you put it on AI, it is not always so perfect, and game goes even more boring then... Also, moo1 is pretty useless for me, as I never played it when it was fresh, and now it have not much to offer in graphics and game complexity compared to moo2 and moo3.

The end of a Moo3 game gets very tedious, but then many games do. It is hard to get into a game as old as Moo1, if you had not already played it. I can only say that everyone I ever showed it to ended up liking it.

Graphics are lost in any game that I get involved in, you just forget about them. If you don't then the game probably never grabbed you.

Graphics is not so big issue at all, but lack of complexity of building things on planets like they are in moo2 and moo3.

True, but that is also a plus as you have less micrromanaging. I bounce back and forth as to Moo1 over Moo2.

I liked both MOO1 & 2. When I initially played MOO2, I remember being disappointed (why, I don't remember now, it's been 10 years), though I quickly got to like this game much better than the 1st edition. It was probably familiarity with the old version that caused the initial nonacceptance of #2. #3 never grabbed my interest the way the first two versions did. I tried some of the mods for this game (Strawberry & Tropical), they improved the game immensely, but there was still too much I didn't care for that could not be modded out.

I use Strawberry as well and a few mods I added to some of the events. I always like the fleet engagements, but it take time to get to where they are larger.

I use Strawberry as well and a few mods I added to some of the events. I always like the fleet engagements, but it take time to get to where they are larger.

Watching them was both frustrating and fun. Getting your own fleets to move and attack was the frustrating part. Frequently some of my fleets were placed behind a planet and after directing them to attack, they would wander aimlessly about behind the planet allowing the others to get cut up from lack of support. But when the fleets do act intelligently, it's a lot of fun to watch them go at it. In the last MOO3 game I played, I gradually improved my fleets as I researched the techs to the point where in the last battle, against pretty much even odds, tech and numbers wise, they managed to destroy the opposing fleets without suffering a single loss. Watching my short range fleet close and then open fire in unison and obliterate an opposing fleet was the highlight.

What really killed the game for me was not being able to save a game at the end of a turn or any time during it. Late game, it could take a half hour to correct the AI garbage during my turn and being able to save these changes when interrupted is a must. I'll probably go back to it for a game eventually. I always do with these sorts of games.

Not much point in saving other than right at the start of the turn. I won't start a turn, unless I plan on finishing it, otherwise I won't remember what I done via the report log.

Not much point in saving other than right at the start of the turn. I won't start a turn, unless I plan on finishing it, otherwise I won't remember what I done via the report log.

I suspect we live in very different social conditions. ;) I spent a lot of time redoing things in the game that I had just done due to that saving programming screw-up, often enough that by midgame I was loath to continue. It wasn't just interruptions, either, but I frequently do things by mistake, distractions, clumsiness and just dumb stuff, and a quick reload midturn when I botch a move is not optional to the way I play computer games. For me, the amount of micro needed in the game, much more than in MOO2, meant several saves per turn was very often necessary to avoid having to spend an excessive amount of time going back and redoing the turn from the beginning.

I'm not a concentrated game player, but a distracted one. :lol:

What was trying to say is that no matter hwo many times you save during a single turn, you have saved no changes. The turn will always start right at the same spot.

Hence you save before you do anything. If you do some thigns and save, it does no good. The loading of the save will start at the beginning of the turn.

It is not a matter of convience or cheating or anything.

This is the annoying events for techs. It seems to like to put up the same event over and over and often. My understanding is that a tech can have an overrun. The over run can be good or bad.

If no overrun, you get the tech at the scheduled time. If an overrun, it is either sooner or delayed. The delay is always given as a Protest and Security increase.

The Oneturn patch was suppose to make it so there was no overrun, good or bad, but it does not seem to work or else the Protest is from who knows where.

I loved MOO1 and am back playing MOO2 (although it is getting to be too easy) but unfortunately MOO3 was the worst sequel to a great game in the history of gaming.

I never managed to finish a game of MOO3, nor did I want to.

.. neilkaz ..

Thanks to helps form the old Atari board I seem to have gotten the tweak in to allow the OneTurn to work. That means no overruns positive or neg.

I loved MOO1 and am back playing MOO2 (although it is getting to be too easy) but unfortunately MOO3 was the worst sequel to a great game in the history of gaming.

I never managed to finish a game of MOO3, nor did I want to.

.. neilkaz ..

Moo3 is looking much better than Civ 5 at this point.

Moo3 is looking much better than Civ 5 at this point.

I preferred MOO3 to Civ4. But not by much. kind of like:

What would you rather have? A sharp stick in the left eye or in the right? :lol:

That's not totally fair. Since I did buy MOO3, blindly, without reading a few write-ups first, there was some incentive to at least give the game a few evenings. I did play some of the mods for MOO3. I don't own a copy of Civ4, and my test playing the demo, and the full game at a friend's, precluded any desire to own the game, I never played the mods for it. It could be mods made Civ4 a playable game. That's something I wont find out unless the game goes on sale for a couple of bucks.

Top Bottom