More Civilisations

Oh of course yeah, there's just going to be a little blurb on Ottoman rule, then somewhat bigger sections for WWI and Yugoslavian years. Like I said the community tends to have these things shared and so I figure it can be multipurposed for the major bits, hence more detail on medieval stuff there.

Just finished the one for Serbia itself. Peter's will be a lot shorter considering that very pedia thing is longer than the wikipedia article for the guy, should be all set tomorrow.

Mega belatedly, Peter's pedia thingy!

Spoiler :

History
Peter I Karađorđević was one of Serbia's greatest rulers, bringing a country that had fallen on trying times to a shining golden age in the early 20th century. He rose from a prince in exile to a revolutionary hero, and recovered the country's fortunes after the Great Eastern Crisis, and uniting the Balkans into the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Though his reign was short and cut off by illness, he is nonetheless remembered as a hero of the Serbian people.

Early Life
Born in 1844 in Belgrade, Peter was born to the then reigning Prince Alexander Karađorđević. Their rival house, the Obrenović family, were oft clashing heads with that of Karađorđević, and the refusal of Serbia to join the Crimean War against Russia tipped the scales It was in 1858, when Peter was fourteen years old, that Miloš Obrenović I seized power, forcing Alexander to abdicate, his family exiled from the country.

Exile
As a young adult, Peter spent much of his time in Geneva and parts of France, studying at the Parisian École Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr. At the age of 26, he served as an irregular during the Franco-Prussian War, with following service in the elite 1st Foreign Regiment of the Foreign Legion.

In 1875, a Serbian uprising against the Ottomans kicked off the Great Eastern Crisis. Peter adopted the name Petar Mrkonjić and joined the Serbian insurgency, and began gaining popularity, to the point where Prince Milan Obrenović ordered Peter to leave for fear of losing the throne. Marrying Princess Zorka of Montenegro, Peter raised five children in the country for ten years, until the death of the princess prompted him to move the family to Switzerland.

Rise to Power
Finally, in 1903, at 59 years of age, Peter reclaimed the Serbian throne, following a coup against Alexander I Obrenović and his family. Popular both amongst the citizens and the nobility, Peter followed in the footsteps of modern politics from France and Switzerland, and molded Serbia into a constitutional monarchy in their image. It was a great success, and for the next 11 years, Serbia saw a golden age like none it had known before, with unprecedented freedom of press and cultural growth. Known to champion the ideal of a pan-Slavic nation, Peter enjoyed popularity for success in the Balkan Wars, where Serbia expanded through victory over long-bitter rivals.

World War I
By the outbreak of World War I, Peter had passed his royal duties to his son, Crown Prince Alexander, due to age and declining health. Despite this, he remained in the public eye, a symbol bolstering Serbian morale during the war by frequently visiting soldiers in the front lines - on one occasion even picking up a rifle to shoot down enemy soldiers. However, by the next year Serbia was overrun on all sides, and Peter led the retreating Serbian forces through Albania, where their French allies transported his government in exile to Corfu for the remainder of World War I. The journey had killed many and left the king in poor health. When the war ended in 1818, Peter was declared king of a unified Yugoslavia, fulfilling his ambitions - but he did not enjoy it for long, for in 1921 he died in Belgrade, at the age of 77.

Legacy
Peter I is undoubtedly one of the most celebrated figures in Serbian history, leading the ever-tumultuous region into an age of progress and prosperity. He brought modern ideals of liberty to people who had long lived under foreign conquerors, and served as a symbol of hope during the country's darkest hour at the nexus of one of the deadliest conflicts in global history. His ambition of a Yugoslavian nation lasted with moderate success throughout the next decade, but unfortunately it was not meant to be, and dissolved in the late 1990s. Still, a century later, peace and stability has come to Serbia, even if it has come with fracturing war, and with luck, the coming century will see even greater tranquility for its people.

Now do you need like, the DoM? And what all are the uniques? Might as well take care of those too, they ought to be shorter, usually just a slightly lengthier paragraph.

Awesome, both of them look great - thanks for your hard work. DoM is still needed for them, as are both UU pedias. DoM is probably more pressing though, so that I can get it sent off for recording. If you wanted, the Greek civs still need pedias too and there's a fair bit of work there to be done, so making a dent in that would be awesome too

Pouakai as i get, for Peter I code is done? Only pedias for BOTH UU missing, and Dom? Artwork is done,a and by who ? Jan? I really appreciate all your hard work and thank you for that! And if dont ask much can you tell us something about UA or UU just to entertain us more ? :))

Few questions about Slavs:

1. Does UA work as intended? I've garrisoned my starting warrior but didn't got any extra faith (except from Cultural Diversity opole). My freshly built scout also doesn't get any extra experience (except from Cultural Diversity barracks).

2. Second unique decision (Organize Votchina laws) also doesn'work - can't be enacted. I don't know maybe because I've had two free walls in the empire (first from starting bonus, second from Great Wall).

Besides, really nice civ and all those defensive bonus are pretty historically accurate too (those Polabians cities built on lakes in the middle of forests and marches were really hard to conquer ;-), but personally, I would've nerf a little bit bonuses from Opole - pantheon on turn 3 and +7 gold? Of course assuming that you are using Cultural Diversity mod, but still, have strong incentive to build Opole right away in newly founded cities - you in facto gain combined bonuses from temple and marketplace ;-)

Pouakai as i get, for Peter I code is done? Only pedias for BOTH UU missing, and Dom? Artwork is done,a and by who ? Jan? I really appreciate all your hard work and thank you for that! And if dont ask much can you tell us something about UA or UU just to entertain us more ? :))

Code is being finished up, we still need the leaderhead and one of the decisions (along with any events, though I doubt we'll have any.) Other than that, we mainly need to finalise the themes, get the DoM recorded and write up the last pedias (including one for the replacement City state)

Here's a DOM then.

Spoiler :

All hail Peter I of House Karađorđević, favored king of Serbia. Thrown into exile at a young age, you seized opportunity to claim back your throne, and brought your weary people into an age of enlightenment. Though the first World War brought turmoil to Serbia, you led as many of your soldiers as possible to safety, and upon the war's end, at last managed to achieve your dream - that of a unified Yugoslavia, even if you did not live long enough to see it rise.

Oh glorious king, the Serbian people once more call out for a just and righteous king, one who can rise to the occasion and champion liberty. Will you ascend beyond centuries of strife and occupation? Can you usher in an everlasting golden age for your citizens? Can you build a civilization that stands the test of time?

I mean, Peter I's not anywhere on the modopedia so I don't actually know what the uniques are ^^ Oh, and what City-State is replacing Belgrade?

The DoM is a bit short, but could definitely work it into a bigger one, cheers. As for the city state, I kind of want to make it Pristina just because the steam comments will be hilarious, though I think Durazzo or Trieste would be a better choice.

Not sure whether they'll be out before the end of the year - I'd like to get them done by then, but with Christmas in retail I'm working 50 hour weeks and have barely any time. Meanwhile Jan is completely burnt out and I don't want to force him to work on stuff he isn't motivated to do, and Greece still requires a tonne of text and other stuff before it's ready.

Once again thank you for doing Serbia WW1 civ,i'm glad that didn't end up just as project, now if it comes in 5 days or 2 months it doesn't matter, and as i would like to see it in 5 days, it's better to take longer time but to be really good done, for good things need time.

The DoM is a bit short, but could definitely work it into a bigger one, cheers. As for the city state, I kind of want to make it Pristina just because the steam comments will be hilarious, though I think Durazzo or Trieste would be a better choice.

I'd go with Pristina. If anything, it can be changed to Trieste once Our World eventually releases Kosovo.

For some reason the Calusa aren't appearing on YNAEMP v.23 for me, even though they do appear on normal maps, and the Tuscans appear normally on YNAEMP v.23. Strange, since they do have mod support for YNAEMP...

Speaking of the Calusa, as I might've mentioned earlier, they need a nerf. Especially the decisions: every tile with a road gets +1 culture and +1 production, its kinda insane.

Speaking of the Calusa, as I might've mentioned earlier, they need a nerf. Especially the decisions: every tile with a road gets +1 culture and +1 production, its kinda insane.

Hold your horses Natan. Flat tiles with an improvement (for example a farm) which has a road built on it becomes a marsh while the farm remains. So it gets quite strong. I don't think that's intended Natan, just an overlook.

If that is what you mean?

Edit: Love the UA btw. I reckon the Netherlands are jealous. They need it. :)

Yes, that is what I mean.

Hello! Sorry if this has been asked before, but are their any plans to fix the graphics bug on the Buccaneer UI? Thanks!

Top Bottom