More GPs Module

Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban
G. General or G. Engineer?

He was both (he made the port of Dunkirk a strong military port by using water canals to wash out the sand barriers blocking it for example), but was mostly known as a master of poliorcetics (siege and counter-siege warfare), so a G. General would be more thematic.

That's a good and quick start. Thx

:goodjob: @All VPfanatics :
Tell me what GPs you want to see in VP (Artists, Musicians, Generals, Admirals, Merchants, Engineers, Scientists and mostly Diplomates)

Format: GP type . GP name . Date of birth

Must be really great and multinational. Focus on industrial (1840+), modern and post-modern era please.

Great General. Antonio Luna. 1866
Great Diplomat. Adam Malik. 1917
Great Diplomat. Narciso Ramos. 1900

Nathan Rotschild

Typo here, should be Rothschild. Anti-Semitic conspiracy theories abound about this guy.

Great Writer suggestion: Georges Prosper Remi, better known as Hergé, creator of the famous Tintin graphic novel series.

(Although it's worth noting he was criticized for using racist tropes in the early part of the series, his attitudes/approach have changed by the later books, plus many "Great People" weren't always morally sound by today's standards...)

Noam Chomsky as a great scientist
Many GPs are not only GS or GA or GW or GD or GG but Great on many things.

Chomsky is one of them. Wikipedia says:
This guy spends more time writing books related to social/human research than novels.

He was both (he made the port of Dunkirk a strong military port by using water canals to wash out the sand barriers blocking it for example), but was mostly known as a master of poliorcetics (siege and counter-siege warfare), so a G. General would be more thematic.
Vauban will be your favorite GG

Fritigern for GGeneral
Done. With all the others you suggest before.

Great General. Antonio Luna. 1866
Great Diplomat. Adam Malik. 1917
Great Diplomat. Narciso Ramos. 1900
:clap:The perfect list

Typo here, should be Rothschild
Thx.
Great Writer suggestion: Georges Prosper Remi
A quote must be recorded for each GWs. All is already very well done by @Hinin
~15 new GWs will be in v.3

Last edited:
There is only one t in The Beatles. Having said that, I personally don't think putting groups and duos in the list feels right; I think it should be individuals only. I could easily come up with 20+ worthy names dating from the fifties onwards, but all from western culture I'm afraid. What's the situation with using audio clips of the actual artists?

On a technical note, why are the audio clips 'DynamicResident'? I know nothing about this area, but from the name, I assume that means "load on first use and keep in memory". 'Streamed' would seem a more appropriate choice given that the clips will almost always only be played once. Also, is there a reason that the 'DontCache' field isn't set?

On aesthetics, perhaps the musician's backdrop of an orchestra could be changed for works from later eras. As an experiment, I'm using a shot of the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury for artists from the last two eras and I think it feels better. I might also look for some sort of theatre stage shot for some of the works from eras 5 & 6.

On a technical note, why are the audio clips 'DynamicResident'? I know nothing about this area, but from the name, I assume that means "load on first use and keep in memory". 'Streamed' would seem a more appropriate choice given that the clips will almost always only be played once. Also, is there a reason that the 'DontCache' field isn't set?
Me too, I don't know much ! I (try to) use the same setting as Vanilla does. It's hard to find technical informations about it. I never saw 'DontCache' set. What the default value is?

On aesthetics, perhaps the musician's backdrop of an orchestra could be changed for works from later eras. As an experiment, I'm using a shot of the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury for artists from the last two eras and I think it feels better. I might also look for some sort of theatre stage shot for some of the works from eras 5 & 6.
That's interesting. Feel free to send me code lines and dds if the result looks good.

I personally don't think putting groups and duos in the list feels right; I think it should be individuals only.
You're probably right. I'll think about that. The Beatles is not a "Great Person" that's true.
I focused on 20th century musical trends more than individual GW when I selected 'The Beatles', 'The Temptations', 'Ram Jam', 'The Sugar Hill Gang', 'UFO' and 'Peaches and Iggy Pop' with good ~20'' sound tracks

Ideally, the generic image should be replaced for all GMs but the weight of moreGP is already so heavy. Soon heavier than VP itself ! :crazyeye:

EDIT:
With a small 200x300 pic maybe

Me too, I don't know much ! I (try to) use the same setting as Vanilla does. It's hard to find technical informations about it. I never saw 'DontCache' set. What the default value is?

That's interesting. Feel free to send me code lines and dds if the result looks good.

You're probably right. I'll think about that. The Beatles is not a "Great Person" that's true.
I focused on 20th century musical trends more than individual GW when I selected 'The Beatles', 'The Temptations', 'Ram Jam', 'The Sugar Hill Gang', 'UFO' and 'Peaches and Iggy Pop' with good ~20'' sound tracks

You could just divide the groups into their individual artists for more GP. :)

When I was investigating the artwork problems, I found that I could replace the dds file and see the result in-game immediately, without any reloading. When I was later messing about with mp3 files (considering replacing a few) I found this wasn't the case, so the sound must be loaded into memory/cached somehow. I saw there was an entry in the database 'DontCache', zero by default, so I tried setting it to one and found it then would then pick up a new file without reloading. It made me wonder if that would be a better setting in general, if it helps save memory or even cache space, but really I have no idea if it would actually help :)

My list of possible musicians is mostly based on songwriting first and then musicianship, performance and influence:

Buddy Holly
Carole King
Paul Simon
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Bob Dylan
Brian Wilson
Jimi Hendrix
Neil Young
Dolly Parton
Stevie Wonder
Barry Gibb
Bob Marley
Bruce Springsteen
Nile Rodgers
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Michael Jackson
Prince
Madonna
Kurt Cobain
Noel Gallagher
Matt Bellamy
Lady Gaga

Mohammed Rafi should be on the list, along with some breakout songwriters from outside the anglosphere:
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Freddie Mercury
Park Jae-Sang

Personally, I would put more emphasis on great Songwriters, and not great Performers
For example, I would argue against adding Elvis Presley, but I would make a case for Timothy Mosley (Timbaland), who has written 99 billboard hits in the US

When I was investigating the artwork problems, I found that I could replace the dds file and see the result in-game immediately, without any reloading. When I was later messing about with mp3 files (considering replacing a few) I found this wasn't the case, so the sound must be loaded into memory/cached somehow. I saw there was an entry in the database 'DontCache', zero by default, so I tried setting it to one and found it then would then pick up a new file without reloading. It made me wonder if that would be a better setting in general, if it helps save memory or even cache space, but really I have no idea if it would actually help
Interesting...
Like you I can believe it saves memory
The file is load when it's necessary only

Is it in:
Code:
INSERT INTO Audio_Sounds
    (SoundID, FileName, LoadType, DontCache)
or
Code:
INSERT INTO Audio_2DSounds
    (ScriptID, SoundID, SoundType, TaperSoundtrackVolume, DontCache)
?

I'm using:

Code:
INSERT INTO Audio_Sounds
    (SoundID, FileName, LoadType, DontCache)
VALUES
    ('SND_GREAT_MUSICIAN_M__010', 'M__010', 'Streamed', 1),

and it's working fine. Whether it helps...

Great Writer suggestion: Georges Prosper Remi, better known as Hergé, creator of the famous Tintin graphic novel series.

(Although it's worth noting he was criticized for using racist tropes in the early part of the series, his attitudes/approach have changed by the later books, plus many "Great People" weren't always morally sound by today's standards...)

That's actually an interesting decision to make : we put Uderzo and Goscinny in the module originally as a way to thank Astérix Rage for the project, and so didn't want to add more cartoonists (which to me are more of a mix between a GW and a GArtist). However, if people really want to, we can add one or two cartoonists from each grand family of comics (American comic books, Franco-Belgian BD and Japanese manga) as a way to close things.

I know what you mean. Now, the question is: Does a good perfomer is an artist or not... ?

Well, most of Edith Piaf songs weren't writtent by her : she was a performer first, but at the same time, she brought so much to each song that she can only be considered an integral part of their artistic value (whatever "artistic" actually mean). I find this distinction between songwriter and performer an interesting but ultimately overly complicated one in the context of this module : in the end, it's up to our own judgement.

Top Bottom