Multiplayer Community

zbelg

Warlord
I remember there once being a little bit of a multiplayer community for FFH, specifically for roleplaying games.

Does this still happen?

If not, would anybody like to help revive it?

There's a community at Realms Beyond Civ that does PBEM and an occasional Pitboss game. They, however, don't care about roleplaying.

There's a community at Realms Beyond Civ that does PBEM and an occasional Pitboss game. They, however, don't care about roleplaying.

Although with an emphasis on public reporting, you can craft a story in your spoiler thread.

Although with an emphasis on public reporting, you can craft a story in your spoiler thread.

Yeah I found out about Realms Beyond, it's cool and I might check out a game or two, but it seems like more of a competitive thing. The main thing I really dug about the roleplaying games was less the whole sword and sorcery acting, but more the diplomatic interaction with the players and the extra level of depth in the games.

Example- the one roleplaying game that I really invested time into had me as the orcs. I was in a poor strategic location, choked in by another player and had to attack him just to maintain an economy. I overpowered him, and in a traditional game, I probably would've just crushed him and that would be that. But keeping with the roleplaying thing, the nearby Bannor had just founded the Order and offered aid to the other player if they adopted the Order and strictly maintained it. The Bannor turned the tide and ended up crushing me, but I was able to save myself with the worldspell before he took my last city (Eliminate Every Unit or whatever was turned on). After one failed invasion with my worldspell troops to take a new city on another continent, again, in a traditional game I probably would've been finished, but another player offered me a city on a continent he wanted to colonize if I secretly helped him fight a proxy war and expel colonists from another empire so he could avoid a direct conflict with them. In essence, we both acted as vassal states, but with more depth than the game mechanics allowed, and the roleplaying element threw in incentives for more elaborate goals. I had more fun than probably in any other game of Civ with that and would love to try to get something like that going.

what I hate about normal games is that I usually get out-manoeuvred, like fighting a war on one side of empire while enemy has secret amphibious strike force on the other side of my empire
what I hate about RP games is that I usually get out-diplomacied ( that probably isn't even a word, but you get my meaning, right ? :D )
so, in both cases, I get crushed .. that's why I don't like playing MP :D

The general feeling at RB is that if you are going to be investing anywhere between 3 - 14 months of time in a game (generally moving at a turn-a-day pace), then you should try your hardest to win and make the game competitive, out of respect for your fellow players if not your own civ.

That said, RB has very few actual rules in terms of how PBEM games are run. Be Respectful (which includes playing your turn reasonably promptly) and Don't Cheat are really the only standards for every game. So if anybody wants to start a roleplaying game at RB and is able to convince enough people to join, feel free :)

Over at Apolyton we play what we call Diplogames. Where everyone plays their civ like they are a real nation. Lots of roleplaying, diplomacy, story posting, etc. I'd love to see something like that with FFH2.

Though as I have less patience for the role playing part then I used to, I'd love a team approach where like 2-3 people run each civ and split up the duties.

Did anyone fix patch G? It was the last working multiplayer patch as long as you turned off Hyborem and Basium (they caused an OOS error whenever they captured a city).

IIRC it was an easy fix (I have no modding skills whatsoever) in the following patch, but then it introduced a series of other bugs that caused a multitude of OOS errors that then continued in the remaining patches until the game was abandoned.

Patch G was probably the last best patch, apart from that OOS. The game was incredibly streamlined and the AI not completely terrible. There was barely any slowdown in the game too late game.

(I'd rather not play MoM, the game changes way to much for my taste, plus it suffers from turn-slow-down syndrome when you play with more than 10 AI on marathon.)

*edit*

Never mind, it seems that the More Naval AI fixes all these issues! TIME FOR FFH!!!!

I'm down. There is a mod out there too which fixes Pitboss.

Really?! I tried in vain to make FFH work with pitboss. Any chance you could point me to it?

BTW is this the Ozzy that did an excellent FFH map? I've played that quite a bit.

Zbleg - sounds like a great RP experience. I'd be very interested in a good FFH roleplay pitboss game! If you find one, or even just find the pitboss patch for FFH pm me plz.

Need to level my necromancy skill...
I would love to play one of the RP games, where I can actually focus on actual Politics, and not simply rolling over everyone.

Yea, Roleplay games can be fun ;)

I used to be one of the regular RPers in the 200x->2011 era

then my computer died. Well ... I've got a new one and would be interested in some simul turn games ;) (RP especially)

Top Bottom