[Multiplayer] Let's Vox Populi - 8p FFA|Hotseat|Hotseat no good?

thread . . . bump?

Don't we like this mod? Wanna play it? The final patch of 2018 is seemingly bug-free, a good time to play a game.
Do I need to make it an online game to turn heads?

I'm still keen, and the 12-18 version looks stable. I suggest deciding on a start date sometime in the next couple of weeks and taking it from there.

I'm still keen, and the 12-18 version looks stable. I suggest deciding on a start date sometime in the next couple of weeks and taking it from there.

I will probably do that. I can see myself putting up a date during the next week. If there aren't enough Vox Populi players on this forum, I'll field them from GMR.

January 28th, 2019

(...war was beginning)

What happen? The channel on Giant Multiplayer robot can go up only after we answer this question: Any modmods? Enlightenment Era is at the top of my singleton list.

Destination would be nice, so I can remember where I sent my units. :D

Otherwise, some UI mods to make things easier would be nice but more of a convenience thing:
UI Filters in Trade Route Overview
Trade Opportunities
Improved City View
List Enhancements
UI Religion Spread VP
Promotion Tree usually helps to orient oneself better with promotions, especially since they changed quite a bit in recent months

and of course the very useful but a little resource intensive Promotion Flags EUI (the new version is much leaner than the old one, though)

to make things a little prettier we could add VP Promo Icons (doesn't use up additional resources)

and then some not really necessary but possible little things:
Missiles No Supply
Subs Immune Under Ice
Subs Ignore Borders
Improved Air Recon
Faster Aircraft Animations

keep in mind, though, that I haven't tested any of these in a Multiplayer setting or at all with the current version (I have tested them with the November version in single player, though).

Last edited:
The modmods have to meet very high requirements of QoL to burden every player with setting it up. I will also BAN ALL DIPLOMACY MODS, because we're supposed to talk to each other.
Similarly, any mechanical changes are out; this is a stock VP game. However, gameplay extensions are up for debate - the Enlightenment Era is just so great, I hope it gets consensus approval.

About EUI setups, my answer is I don't know. If VP installation was anything like normal, then we should be able to play with different local UI mods. But VP has a bunch of behaviours that shouldn't be the case - like needing a completely fresh cache, and interference from alternative mods that aren't enabled.

Do you want to help me test that out? @Tekamthi Play some rounds of a dummy game with me.

I have every fondness for those balance adjustments to submarines. They're lovely ideas. Let's get them put into VP stock. But as they are not in it now, I have opted to exclude them from our present occupation.
First post updated with plans. Does VP Promo Icons actually work with Promotion Tree? If so, I'll add that too.

The final call is out for you responders to confirm you're in. If you're not in the confirmed players list you do not have a reserved spot, and the GMR room's spares (presently counted to be 4) will go to the first able joiners from that community -or this one.

edit: Clarified that all comers are on par after the reserved spots, once the room is created. Civfanatics must race with CivGMR regulars from an equal footing.

Last edited:
If anything, I will do research on how PTBServers work. (My informants told me: it doesn't.)

The room has been created. Invite links are in your PM boxes. It is now a race to eight slots.

I might still cancel Faster Aircraft Animations. I'll be setting multiplayer attack animations to off, anyway.

Yeah, sorry; I'm still not done with my last game and the testing...I hoped to be done by end of January but it didn't work out.

first post updated with version information. I feel like I should have gone for the end of year version, but, I didn't see January 28 version coming.

Faster Aircraft Animations

keep in mind, though, that I haven't tested any of these in a Multiplayer setting or at all with the current version (I have tested them with the November version in single player, though).

This mod doesn't affect the save file, so you can switch it on for your turns, 33.

I also took a question from an entrant on GMR. If you want to use eui, you have to use the VP version of eui, do a "VP with eui" install (which alters some data in the business mods), and enable the Compatibility Mod for eui to play. Players who don't use eui will be using my setup, of "VP no eui", and the "No eui" Compatibility Mod.

And because VP is sustained by faerie demon magic, we have to enable our mods before loading the turn.

Turn order with these players is modeled:
Suigintou, Hexapodia, me, colmodena, Itto Ogami ^, Chuck Stone ^, Melingel ^

with tekamthi fitting in somewhere. I've marked the areas with carets. @Tekamthi , are you playing? This wouldn't be my first mysterious disappearance before the rodeo started. Or the fifth.

Turn order with these players is modeled:
Suigintou, Hexapodia, me, colmodena, Itto Ogami ^, Chuck Stone ^, Melingel ^

with tekamthi fitting in somewhere. I've marked the areas with carets. @Tekamthi , are you playing? This wouldn't be my first mysterious disappearance before the rodeo started. Or the fifth.
For sure.. I had replied to comments on gmr, apologies if I missed some

So we have become the first experiment to check if GMR's Mod to Hotseat technology can handle the complexity of the VP engine. Normally GMR does something easy, it just goes into the civ5 save format and changes some things. And I was in a game over 6 years ago - it used a huge, HUGE mod that you loaded as a Scenario, you needed to have Windows 7 (but I was still happily running XP on my main machine), it put 25+ players or so on a beyond-huge map of True Earth. We played from Renaissance to Space victory.... GMR handled this.

But the glitch I got yesterday, with just downright exploding, it's gotta be VP. And GMR doesn't have tech support anymore, so we've got really two options: Hope that flagging a new room with "Scenario" will get the algorithm to try harder when converting the initial save, or we switch to the latest VP version and pray this is somehow a VP glitch and SOMEHOW it can and was fixed (for interacting with a secret algorithm run by another team for a purpose that VP never had).

Top Bottom