1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Music and profanity

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Hygro, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Why not ban "blahchan.org" instead of "blahchan," so that we can actually say "blahchan" in relevant discussions?

2. ragan651

ragan651 High Regent of Candlewick

Just going to throw in my 2 cents or so on this topic.

I wrote a guide on here that's got a lot of stuff in it, and people have found it pretty helpful. One part that it seems people enjoy is a pop-culture section, in which I demonstrate the origins of the various achievements. Not exactly "crunch", but it adds something to the guide. Makes it interesting, and as I said, it's been well-received.

In that section, I place links to various sources demonstrating the reference. For instance, "Say Hello to My Little Friend" shows a clip from Scarface. Now I have viewed and looked at everything there, and I never put anything I'd consider offensive. But I can't speak for the entirety of that content. For instance, the references to Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog are linked to the movie itself, and I think there might be some mild language (don't remember). It's entirely contextual to the post, of course. In some cases, I link to the text of old novels and short stories.

In short, a lot of content gets linked. And again, I'm pretty sure all of it falls within guidelines (especially the ones posted in this thread, allowing for linking to profanity in some cases).

My point is context is important, and relevance is important. If we're discussing music, and the best way to respond is linking to a song to demonstrate the point, then I consider that appropriate. Unless the song is exceptionally explicit (perhaps Rage Against The Machine's Killing In The Name's ending), I don't see a problem. Because it's contextual.

That is if the music is the point of the discussion, and the point is best made with the music itself, then the content of the music is almost an expectation of the discussion. And that in itself is not offensive.

Music is art, just like Michaelangelo's David is art. Like David, taken at face value, it is offensive to some sensibilities by its parts. Music is emotional expression. Profanity is emotional speech. They are often combined for expressive purposes (such as the forementioned Rage Against The Machine song). Posting a link to music with swearing is not particularly different to posting to renaissance art featuring nudes or graphic material. What matters is the context.

If the discussion is music and the link is valid, it's not necessarily offensive. If the discussion is combat strategy, and someone posts a link to Venus De Milo to comment on her endowments, that is offensive.

Now a line can be drawn at a certain point, because some content might be excessive, and some people might view the site in areas where explicit audio played aloud is a problem (the NSFW bit). I'm all for discretion on extreme instances. And I'm fine, and in favor of, dealing with spam or inflammatory uses of this material. But relevant, and contextual usage should be fine.

From what I gathered on the policy, it sounds like you guys are doing the right thing on this already. I would just be wary of saying "Artist 1 is okay, Artist 2 is not".

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I'd say it's even milder than that, PG-13 allows f-bombs.

Parents Guide to X-Men: First Class (WARNING: CONTAINS SWEAR WORDS FROM A PG-13 MOVIE) (Or PG in Canada, G in Quebec.)

Key point to getting down to a PG-13 rating for the various X-Men movies seems to have been coating Logan's claws in Teflon so they're not bloody after he stabs people.