Music of Civ VI

Overall I enjoyed civ4's music more than civ5. The civ theme/leader soundtracks were catchier than civ5 and I liked how the music progressed from ancient into modern era. In civ5 there is no progression which I find boring; always the same music in 4000bc or 2000ad. Hopefully civ6 will be more like civ4 in that aspect

Modern/future music was revolting. But like they say arguing about tastes is the only right thing you can do.
The Civ4 modern/future music certainly isn't something I'd like to listen to in my free time... but it was memorable. It totally evoked the early 20th century. Civ5 is utterly forgettable in the later game.

There's hope that they manage to bridge the difference and have something like the CivBE music system which felt a lot more dynamic to have pleasant Civ5-like background music but splice in more memorable themes at the correct times.

Am I the only one here that loved Civ IV's Modern era music? Absolutely brilliant. It taught me to minimalists the likes of John Adams and Philip Glass, which I still listen a lot today. Though, it is very post-modern and a lot different from classic harmonous music, and I understand why many despise it.

No, I loved it as well. It's the era of nuclear wars and ecological damage and the like. I thought Adams music had the right vibe combining the bustle of modern life with all its frustrations and destructive power.

But I loved all the music in Civ 4 (except Baba Yetu!). I loved the warlords and BTS themes. I love the opening track starting with the 2 stones that bang together. Classical era is meh, but I love how the Miserere starts up when you enter the medieval era. Never really thought about it being too Euro-centric before, but what could be more renaissance than the sound of harpsichords?

But Civ 5 has a great OST as well. As someone said, the Brazil "James Bond" theme is awesome. Field of Poppies is hauntingly beautiful.

BE had an incredible OST as well, fitted the game perfectly.

In civ5 there is no progression which I find boring; always the same music in 4000bc or 2000ad.
If Montezuma was standing there half-naked in his temple listening to modern music, that'd just be weird to me. I can understand the appeal of progression in the music themes, but I'm not sure you can really do that in Civ with their approach to leaders and such. I always felt the themes for each Civ in Civ V represented the leader and the time period they were in, rather than just the civilization itself.

Just remembered, if there is something I absolutely hate about V music it's BNW main menu theme. Absolutely hate it and can't turn off without turning off all music :mad:

If Montezuma was standing there half-naked in his temple listening to modern music, that'd just be weird to me.

I do this all the time and I don't feel weird about it.

Just remembered, if there is something I absolutely hate about V music it's BNW main menu theme. Absolutely hate it and can't turn off without turning off all music :mad:
I liked it at first, but now I take my headphones off until the game loads. :p

I do this all the time and I don't feel weird about it.
While hosting negotiations with international leaders? I'm not really part of that world but... that's different from what I see in the news!

By the way, you can just switch out the file for that particular theme by copying another song to the same folder and giving it the same name as the deleted file.

If Montezuma was standing there half-naked in his temple listening to modern music, that'd just be weird to me. I can understand the appeal of progression in the music themes, but I'm not sure you can really do that in Civ with their approach to leaders and such. I always felt the themes for each Civ in Civ V represented the leader and the time period they were in, rather than just the civilization itself.

In civ4 the music didn't necessarily get more "modern" but more sophisticated as you advanced thru the eras. So in ancient age when you meet Montezuma you hear very tribal background music with a single instrument; in modern age it was the same music played with a full orchestra. I really enjoyed that. Similarly the in game background music started tribal and became medieval church music then easy listening eventually in modern era (which I agree wasn't the best - but my point is the progression which helped with immersion)

Vielle and viola da gamba? That hints at era-progressing music to me.

I love Medieval and Renaissance music, and the vielle and viola da gamba are some of my favorites. I loved the oud music in Civ5; I hope we get more of that too. :D

Pretty sure era-progressive music has been confirmed.

As time goes on the music I believe includes more and more instruments.

We also know that leader screens influence your music and for a while you might hear other leader's tunes/themes be played or something.

Does this mean I wont have to turn off the music when recording a video in order to not get copyright claims because of the music ? Sweet.

Even if they do a lot of it in house, composing music doesn't preclude using licensed music.

First thing to check is the credits to see if anything is listed in there before using the music in an lp.

So far the music I've heard in the Civ6 videos is great,

America's theme is some folksy violin music, don't recognize the song

Aztecs' has Native flute music

Brazil has the Portuguese sounding guitar music

China has the guzheng, with some people saying the song is Mo Li Hua

Japan has the flute, and it seems to be Rokudan no Shirabe again

I saw England in some videos, but didn't notice their theme music, I also didn't notice any war themes (please let there be war themes! :cry:)

The other music is great, I recognized Epitaph of Seikilos (Greece's theme in Civ5) and a famous Medieval (I think it's Medieval?) English song that I can't name

a famous Medieval (I think it's Medieval?) English song that I can't name

That would be "Greensleeves," more commonly known to modern people as the Christmas carol "What Child Is This."

Agreed, music (including European music!!!) sounds lovely so far.

Anyone happen to know what videos have the music at an audible level? The only ones I've seen have muted the sound or turned it way down.

That would be "Greensleeves," more commonly known to modern people as the Christmas carol "What Child Is This."

Agreed, music (including European music!!!) sounds lovely so far.
Weird. I never knew that "What Child is This" was to the tune of "Greensleeves". Guess I know English music (or instrumental music) better than Christmas carols somehow.

Anyone happen to know what videos have the music at an audible level? The only ones I've seen have muted the sound or turned it way down.

Weird. I never knew that "What Child is This" was to the tune of "Greensleeves". Guess I know English music (or instrumental music) better than Christmas carols somehow.

Check out Eurogamer and BAStartGaming's videos

I saw England in some videos, but didn't notice their theme music, I also didn't notice any war themes (please let there be war themes! :cry:)

The other music is great, I recognized Epitaph of Seikilos (Greece's theme in Civ5) and a famous Medieval (I think it's Medieval?) English song that I can't name

France has Le Tourdion, a French renaissance dance tune (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvjuv4IIKcU)

Hmmm :think: Maybe it's because of the whole "music advances as the game progresses", but from what I could hear, all the leader themes sound very... tiny. Compared to Civilization V (and, really, Civilization IV as well).
:(
Maybe later eras will flesh them out - I hope so.
But I can already see mods to have the full version always available, or even to bring back Civilization V themes, being built because of it.

As for other background music, I really did enjoy it! :) Hearing Epitaph of Seikilos was a really nice surprise (I wonder what they'll use for Greece), and all the songs were really good.
I did notice that the song selection depended not only on who you're playing as, but also who is around you - so you could hear more asian tunes even when playing as Brazil if China is your neighbor and the such. That ought to make the listening experience more varied during a single game, but maybe it will make different games with different civilizations feel less unique. I'll take a "wait and see" stance on this.

The playthroughs we have seen so far seem to indicate world music at large will play in the background, and that civs won't simply hear music only from their own regions. This is a good thing since in Civ V I remember getting tired of the depressing European background music. That said, it would be interesting if civs heard music from their own regions more frequently.

Another thing I've requested in the past is that leader themes from other civs stay around longer--it was annoying to have a leader appear, only for the music from that leader to immediately stop upon exiting the diplomacy screen. Playthroughs so far don't show that leader themes fully continue upon exiting the diplomacy screen. But they did say the leader themes of other civs would bleed through more into the music. Hm. Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom