Music of Civ VI

Does anyone know when we will get Christopher Tin's performance of the Sogno Di Volare Civ VI theme from a week ago? I've heard samples of it and sounds pretty good. The Il Sogno di Volare that I found(although quite a stirring piece in itself and should be considered for background music during gameplay) is not the same one.

There are only a few tracks implemeted into that build. And they seem to play no matter what is your civilization except for diplomacy tracks. It's definately not the way it is supposed to be.

EDT: It seems that meeting a new civ triggers their diplomacy music or something like that?

What I want about the music is:

- Each civ has it's own soundtrack, which progresses/changes with eras. Brazil has Brazilian tunes, Zulu has African tune etc. This would make each civ very unique asthetically.
- Adding/customizing easily our own music to that list right from the beginning when the game is released. The best idea is to implement "custom music folder" so that we don't have to edit xml files.
- A next track button in the interface.
- there are war/peace/neutral themes (like in Civ 5)
- Zooming over a territory of civilizations should trigger their diplomacy music (in the background) - like the ambience (it changes depending on the terrain).
- BTW, ambience in Civ 6 sounds a lot better than Civ 5.

I believe we have few tracks that enhance themselves as the game progresses, I believe they have layered tracks (similiar to The Sims 4's creative tools like buy/build and CAS modes) where depending on situations you hear part, or all of the instruments.

I believe they mentioned that the game borrows motifs or music from other leaders as you play (but if this means it plays their tracks then I want ti gone because it ruins the effect).

I also think that Peace should play during peace, War during war and fighting, and Neutral during war but no fighting (i.e cold wars/wars iwthout any physical conflict)

summarizing the known Civ6 theme inspirations

America-Hard Times Come Again No More

Aztecs-unidentified

Brazil-unidentified

China-Mo Li Hua

Egypt-unidentified

England-Scarborough Fair

France-Le Tourdion

Japan-Rokudan no Shirabe

I think that the brazilian theme (or one of them) may be based in "Brejeiro", an old and popular Choro song composed by Ernesto Nazareth, as show in the first minutes in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQbfZcUzLg. It's in a much slower pace, but becomes a little more recognizable at the 8 minutes mark, and again at 10 minutes.

Original song is in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT1y8Jh9ux4, and a modern cover in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YysxoR2nfuc.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes in my english.

I think that the brazilian theme (or one of them) may be based in "Brejeiro", an old and popular Choro song composed by Ernesto Nazareth, as show in the first minutes in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQbfZcUzLg. It's in a much slower pace, but becomes a little more recognizable at the 8 minutes mark, and again at 10 minutes.

Original song is in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT1y8Jh9ux4, and a modern cover in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YysxoR2nfuc.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes in my english.

Great, another song identified! :)

Here's an updated list

America-Hard Times Come Again No More

Aztecs-unidentified

Brazil-Brejeiro

China-Mo Li Hua

Egypt-unidentified

England-Scarborough Fair

France-Le Tourdion

Japan-Rokudan no Shirabe

I don't expect Aztecs and Egypt's source melodies to be identified before release. There's limited options for those civs. Unless they used a later Egyptian song for Egypt (like from the Islamic Conquest and beyond).

Waaaait, hold your horses! :p

From what I could hear, the beginning of Polygon's video and Brejero do sound kinda alike (I admit I only did a superficial check, will listen more carefully later ok, made a more thorough research on this one :lol: Indeed the two themes' main melody is very similar at parts, I think it's fair to say one is based on the other), but the beginning of Polygon's video is not necessarily Brazil's theme.
Compare this (starting at 00:00) to this (starting at 27:08), and it's obvious they're not the exact same song.

Is this an example of a leader's theme evolving as the game progresses though? I don't think the two songs are very similar - but, as I said, I didn't make any rigorous checks just did, I don't find the melodies in the two examples I gave to be similar at all, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say it's possible Brazil's theme gets an intro after some progression in the game.

Good job, jprivado, I was dying to know which song that theme was based on. And I'm so glad they picked a Choro this time around!

Waaaait, hold your horses! :p

Compare this (starting at 00:00) to this (starting at 27:08), and it's obvious they're not the exact same song.

I don't know, they sound like the same to me, even when comparing both to the original song.

I remember someone mentioning in one of the let's plays that the music you hear is augmented by the civs playing in the game itself, which I find cool as that will keep the Soundtrack different each game. Naturally your empire's theme will cycle through, but if you're against america and brazil, you should hear their themes as well once they're discovered.

This theory seemed to hold up nicely in the 150 turn Japan video. That is, until the Epitaph of Seikilos showed up out of nowhere. But hey, I was happy to hear it's return. :thumbsup:

I remember someone mentioning in one of the let's plays that the music you hear is augmented by the civs playing in the game itself, which I find cool as that will keep the Soundtrack different each game. Naturally your empire's theme will cycle through, but if you're against america and brazil, you should hear their themes as well once they're discovered.

This theory seemed to hold up nicely in the 150 turn Japan video. That is, until the Epitaph of Seikilos showed up out of nowhere. But hey, I was happy to hear it's return. :thumbsup:

That seems to be true. We can hear mixed themes from civs that are included in our game. For instance, short after discovering a new civ, we are likely to hear one of their themes.

But it may be just in that current build. It's nothing pernament. I believe implementing music is not finished yet.

BTW, the soundtrack sounds so good so far. I already like it a lot better than Civ V soundtrack. And the ambience so much deeper/richer.

England-Scarborough Fair

I really enjoyed listening to this one. Really well done. :)

I don't know, they sound like the same to me, even when comparing both to the original song.

Well, let's start with the obvious to separate the two as different renditions of a song: at the very beginning of Polygon's video, the song you hear has one guitar playing the main melody and nothing more, while the song playing while trading with Pedro II has, if not two guitars, then one guitar doing the main melody and harmonics.

While that does prove that the two songs are different pieces, it does not prove the two are not renditions of the same original song.
For that, I tried playing the main melody of both on the piano, and see what were the results.
The melody in Polygon's video goes like this:
G E F# D E B D
While the melody in Pedro II's diplomacy screen goes something like this:
A E F# E G# Ex3 F# E F# C# E

Judging from the notes used both melodies, the first is in G Major 7, while the second is in A Major 7, so for a fair comparison, we'll have to transpose one of the songs to the other's main tone - I decided to transpose the first to A Major 7, which becomes like this:
A F# G# E F# C# E
Comparing again with the melody in Pedro II's diplomacy screen:
A E F# E G# Ex3 F# E F# C# E

:king: Yup, they're the same melody, my bad! Sorry about the false alarm guys.

And the same can be done with the original song by Ernesto Nazareth, indeed these are all different arrangements of the same song! :p

For curiosity's sake, Ernesto Nazareth's Brejeiro's melody goes something like this:
Gx2 Ex2 F#x2 D Ex2 Cx2 Dx2
So it all checks out, the two are indeed extremely similar. For some reason, as the game progresses Pedro's theme raises one step, which threw me off yesterday night (never theorize while tired, the results will be wrong :lol:)
Or maybe I'm just doing this all wrong! :crazyeye: I'm no expert in the matter...

Wow! Il Sogno di Volare sounds great. :D

Ok, after listening to Japan's theme in a youtube video. I'm no longer sure the source melody is Rokudan no Shirabe.

I watched a silent Civ6 gameplay video where the youtuber played as Japan. They met America, Brazil and England early on. For some of the diplomatic interactions with Victoria and Pedro II, the Epitaph of Seikilos was playing. Perhaps it was a glitch?
I also heard a Middle Eastern song (Turkish or Arabic?) which sounded familiar, despite there being no Middle Eastern civs in the demo (except for Egypt, but the youtuber never met Cleopatra before it ended)
Mainly variations of America's theme and Japan's theme were playing outside of the diplo screens. No variations of Brazil or England's themes.
I hope Firaxis is working to fix these issues.

Since Sychtian Civ was announced, what do you guys think the music will be?

I can only guess three options: music from nomadic central Asia, but it may be too turkic; Persian music dedicated to or influenced from Saka/Scythia like civ v Hun's theme; or traditional Ossetian music, which I'm kind of hoping since it has a sort of old fantasy feel to it.

Man, if any theme from CiV deserved to come back, it was Chega de Saudade, particularly the war version. Oh well :p

Man, if any theme from CiV deserved to come back, it was Chega de Saudade, particularly the war version. Oh well :p

Here's hoping it will still appear as a special music for Brazil. We got Epitaph of Seikilos in the game, so who knows.

Wow! Il Sogno di Volare sounds great. :D

While it's not my cup of coffee, I have to say it doesn't sound as annoying as BNW theme.

Was anyone able to capture the America, France, Japan, etc music playing at the start of the most recent livestream with Ed? The modern Japan music in particular sounded stunning.

Top Bottom