Music of Civ VI

Maori are the new Zulu, in the sense that their music really gets stuck in my head.
With the difference that the Maori tracks don't leave me feeling homicidal after the ten thousandth repetition. :p I've come to hate the Zulu themes with a passion. :p

The fiddle on those Canadian tracks is wonderful. It just about justifies their presence in the game :p
Yes.

With the difference that the Maori tracks don't leave me feeling homicidal after the ten thousandth repetition. :p I've come to hate the Zulu themes with a passion. :p
Listen ten thousand times to the Māori tracks, and you might feel otherwise. :p

Listen ten thousand times to the Māori tracks, and you might feel otherwise. :p
Honestly I hated the Zulu tracks after about the fifth time. :p

Honestly I hated the Zulu tracks after about the fifth time. :p

Oh, that’s sad— I think they are lovely. That said, after so many games with Teddy, my eyes start twitching when I hear the twangs of “Hard Times Come Again No More” rev up. I wish we had more control of the music rotation.

Oh, that’s sad— I think they are lovely. That said, after so many games with Teddy, my eyes start twitching when I hear the twangs of “Hard Times Come Again No More” rev up. I wish we had more control of the music rotation.

Well, if you play a bigger map, there are more civs and thus more diversity in the music.

So, two observations:

1. It’s been 5 days since my brain got infested by Canada’s Medieval theme. Pls help.

2. It it me, or the beginning of Inca and France’s Medieval themes share some similarities?

Hi does anyone know where can I find the maori song, Ka Mate, so that I can delete it...? The names of the audio files are just numbers, that does not really help finding it

The ONLY thing Canada has going for it in the game is its delightful music.
Truth.

So far, my favorite of the new lot is easily the Hungarian themes. They are so catchy.
They're nice, but I'm playing as Hungary right now and every time my theme plays I start getting ready to strangle someone. Make the bouncing stooooop. :p

I thought I'd post some modern takes on the Swedish ambient songs and give some backstory.

Herr Holger is the story of a corrupt tax collector who gets taken to King Christian in Copenhagen and decapitated. Sir Holger's ghost returns to his farmstead where he tries to convince his wife to give back all that has been stolen, so that his soul might be spared and that she might avoid going to hell as well, but she replies that she'd rather go to hell than be poor on this earth.

Civ 6 version

Modern version

Herr Mannelig is (as I've mentioned in this thread before) a story about a knight and a female troll. The troll tries to convince Sir Mannelig to marry her, promising him all kinds of gifts, from golden rings to a magic sword. The knight refuses, saying he'd never marry a spawn of satan such as her. It's speculated that she is actually a woman under a curse, and that marriage would dispel it.

Civ 6 version

Modern version

Du gamla, Du fria (thou ancient, thou free) is Sweden's national anthem, but what is not widely known even in this country is that the tune is based on a much older folk song. The tune is Kärestans död (Death of a lover) and exists in many versions. It's the story of a man who rides to meet his lover, and along the road he meets men busy at work. First he meets bell ringers, he asks who they ring for, they reply that they ring for the death of a young man's lover. He rides on and meets diggers, he asks who they dig for, they reply that they are digging a grave for a young man's lover. He rides on and arrives at the farmstead, but there is nobody there to greet him. He enters the hall and sees people prepare his lover's body for the funeral.

Civ 6 version

Modern version of Kärestans död

These songs are known in Sweden as medieval ballads, they were written down in the 1800s for posterity but can, as the name suggests, be traced far back to medieval times. Dozens, if not hundreds, of versions often exists, with regional variations.

Last edited:
From the 5 or 6 games I have played so far in Civ 6, I think Indonesia's music is overwhelmingly awesome, the best I have heard in any game, ever. I have no bias to far-east asian civilization nor am I asian or Indonesian myself. The musical piece is good in the early ages and just becomes epic once you get to industrial age and beyond.

Overall, I quite like how they did the music in this game.

Hi does anyone know where can I find the maori song, Ka Mate, so that I can delete it...? The names of the audio files are just numbers, that does not really help finding it

Why do you want to delete that?

You want to delete all versions or a specific one? Because it's already one piece with Pokarekare Ana from Medieval era onwards.

Clicking on XP2 Music Bank text document will give you the names.

IMO the best themes of this expansion are Sweden and Mali. But still no one beats the true beauty of Indonesia's theme <3

Why do you want to delete that?

You want to delete all versions or a specific one? Because it's already one piece with Pokarekare Ana from Medieval era onwards.

Clicking on XP2 Music Bank text document will give you the names.

Thanks! I want to delete it because I hate it.

Top Bottom