1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Music of Civ VI

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ben., Jul 8, 2016.

1. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Ok, I asked Geoff Knorr a ton of questions on the pre-RF Civ music themes. Here they are:

Good to hear from you again. I apologize for my delayed response, I haven't had as much time to respond to fan emails over the last few weeks. In response to your questions:
    England Ancient and Germany Ancient were performed by Niccolo Seligmann, the same player who plays the vielle and bass viol parts in the medieval era pieces.

Greece Ancient includes a ney and 9-string Grecian lyre. They ney is performed by Chakib Hilali and the lyre is performed by myself. I purchased the lyre from a shop in Greece, Luthieros, that specializes in authentic recreations of ancient Grecian instruments.

The Indonesia Ancient theme is actually performed using the "Soniccouture Balinese Gamelan II" sample library. I explored working with and recording a gamelan ensemble, but the difficulty of having the tuning of the ensemble match any Western instrumentation made it impractical. I worked with an expert on gamelan music in order to recreate the various parts of pieces using the sampled library for the performance.

The Kongo Ancient theme also uses a few sampled libraries that I performed in.

I chose "Hard Times Come Again No More" as the American theme after working with some musicians who specialize in "old-time" American folk music. They introduced the song to me and I thought it's simple and beautiful melody would be a good fit America through the eras.

I had a few reasons for selecting "Banat Iskandaria" as the theme for Arabia. First, the leader for Arabia, Saladin, historically would have controlled many of the lands that claim the melody as their own which I believe makes it a good fit for the in-game use. Second, it is a very memorable melody that I thought would translate well to all of the various era arrangements we needed to compose. Third, the traditional musicians I was working with were familiar with the tune, making it a practical choice.

I chose "Waltzing Matilda" as the Australian theme due to it's overwhelming popularity in Australia. It is often called the unofficial national anthem of Australia. It is also part of the "bush ballad" genre, which is unique to Australia.

I chose "Scarborough Fair" as the English theme, due to it's popularity as a folk song and it's very easily recognizable melody.

Germany has thousands of folk songs notated and I found it difficult to sift through all of them to find an appropriate theme. I did not want to use a piece of well-known classical music, but rather something with a more folk origin. "Ich hab die Nacht geträumet" rose to the top as a very melancholy, beautiful theme that I thought would work well in the game.

I chose "Vaishnava Jana To" as the Indian theme due it's connection to Gandhi and popularity in India.

The shakuhachi player I worked on the music for ancient Japan introduced me to the Itsuki Lullaby. It's popularity in Japan and recognizable melody made it a good choice for Japan's main theme.

"Kalinka" was one of the tunes the balalaika player introduced me to while recording the Russian ancient era music. I thought it would be a fun, well-known Russian folk song to arrange for the various eras.

"Recuerdos de la Alhambra" is one of the most well-known lyrical classical guitar pieces composed by a Spanish composer. Since I wanted to feature the classical guitar in Spain's music, it rose to the top as a good choice for Spain's main theme.

All the best,
    Geoff

I know some of you abhor some of these themes....:p Hopefully, Mr Knorr is busy working on the next expansion or Civ7 (might be too early for that) or a spin-off game.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  2. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Meanwhile, Itsuki Lullaby is about a babysitter complaining about her job.

3. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

We should compile all of his responses and make some sort of article about the music of Civ6 using these interviews (with Mr. Knorr's permission of course).

Guandao, God of Kings and Kjimmet like this.
  4. Guandao

You mean an article here on Civfanatics? I'm willing to do that. I have loads of email responses from Geoff Knorr, in addition to Roland Rizzo, and Michael Curran (who helped composed half the Civ5 soundtrack). It might be tough to get permission from Mr. Curran though, since he left Firaxis. :( It's a shame since he helped compose Civ4, and I wanted to know more about the Civ themes in that. Roland Rizzo also composed for Civ4 (he did the Dutch themes and the Khmer themes, judging by them being present on his website).

Kjimmet and Kimiimaro like this.
  5. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Rizzo did the Dutch themes in Civ IV? That's interesting to know - they're great :D (yes, I mean even the most modern one, the one that feels like a circus :D)

Uberfrog and Guandao like this.
  6. Guandao

Those are based on an actual Dutch song named Kent gij het land.

7. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Chieftain

For all of Civ VI's shortcomings, music is the one area that never fails to impress. I think Geoff Knorr actually outdid himself with Gathering Storm, most of the new themes are wonderful and the only dud I feel is Canada. Getting more of his little musical journeys through four ages is perhaps the biggest reason to hope for yet another expansion.

Guandao and OmegaDestroyer like this.
  8. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

As much as I love the soundtrack, there is one issue with it that is slowly creeping in....

Because of the approach they chose, the tunes themselves are not that diverse each game. If you are playing with Standard settings, you will hear the predetermined 8 tunes throughout the entire playthrough - plus a couple of filler themes. Try to spend half a day listening to only 8-10 songs on your playlist on shuffle. Yeah....

I wish I could tinker with the audio files and add some more music to it. Is there a mod or a guide on how to do that?

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

You can play larger maps? On huge I get 12 civs' themes.

10. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

Not ideal solution. Depending on your victory condition, making maps larger may be a drag. Not to mention any potential hardware constraints that some players might have.

Also, 4 more tracks is still just a droplet in a 7+ hour playthrough.

11. Guandao

Maybe have licensed music like they did in Civ5? Or add more music to the Civs in a DLC? Or make the ancient ambient themes play in the later eras?

Zaarin likes this.
  12. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Better yet, have a DLC pack that consist of peace and war themes for each civ for the Ancient, Medieval, Industrial, and Atomic eras.

Can't go wrong with eight different main themes for each civ! The fact that it is paid DLC would pay for the musicians, the arrangers, and the recording equipment and venue.

fatalitod likes this.
  13. Finvola

Finvola Where's my pie?

I usually play huge maps with 12 civs, but there was one time I played a huge map (marathon) with fewer civs. Unfortunately most of the other civs got wiped out before I met them. The only ones left were Australia and someone else. I can't remember the other remaining civ or much of anything else about that save, but all I do remember is how many times I heard Waltzing Matilda. It broke me. :lol:

During my first save, before I realized each civ had a theme song that evolved through the ages, I recognized Hard Times right away, as well as a few others but that one stuck out to me. I wondered why it was in the soundtrack. Then I found this thread and discovered the reason why. However, I thought it was an Irish song as it's been performed by a lot of Irish artists. I always thought it was about the famine. I never knew it was actually an American folk song.

14. Guandao

Another reply from Mr. Knorr, after I asked him to ask Mr. Rizzo these questions regarding his choices for some of the themes he composed for Civ6.

In response to your questions, I don't have all of the research behind Roland's selections, but can give you some background information on the choices:

The flutes in the Aztec, France, and Rome ancient themes are performed by Sandro Friedrich

When working the music France, I think Roland wanted to use something older and well-known, and "Quand je bois du vin clairet" rose to the top as the best fit for the theme.

We worked with Norwegian bukkehorn player, Sissel Morken Gullord, on the music for ancient Norway. "Gjendines badnlat" was one of the tunes she introduced to us, and we liked that it is well-known and thought it would be a great fit as the main theme for Norway.

We used "Magna Mater" as the main theme for Rome since it built on extensive research of the music of ancient Rome. Although no one knows with certainty what their music sounded like, we felt this was about as close an approximation as possible with the current archaeological evidence.

"Arirang" is such an iconic and significant Korean folk song that it was the clear choice for Korea's main theme. Interestingly, both North and South Korea submitted the song at separate times for inclusion in the UNESCO heritage list, showing the song's significance brings a kind of unity even amidst the current division of the Korean peninsula.

When working on the music for the Netherlands, Roland wanted to go back to some of the earlier music originating from the region. He ultimately decided "Gaillarde d'esmerillone" would be the best fit for the game.

All the best,
    Geoff