Musical Themes Wishlist

What about Zarzis a Tunisian folk dance for Carthage?

http://folkcloud.com/song/11227/folk-ensemble/zarzis
I'd go for something Lebanese for Carthage, or perhaps one of the older Jewish melody fragments. Carthage is located in Tunis, but the Carthaginians were Canaanites (and thought of themselves as such at least into the 6th century AD [viz. St. Augustine] and probably until the Islamic conquest).

I'd go for something Lebanese for Carthage, or perhaps one of the older Jewish melody fragments. Carthage is located in Tunis, but the Carthaginians were Canaanites (and thought of themselves as such at least into the 6th century AD [viz. St. Augustine] and probably until the Islamic conquest).

There were still Carthaginians in the 6th century AD? I thought most were sold into slavery or massacred by the Romans. I've heard of the survival of the Punic language mentioned by St. Augustine, so I guess not all perished. Didn't the ancestors of the Berbers made up some portion of the Carthaginian Empire's population? I mean they did use a Berber language for the Carthaginian units in Civ4. :p

There were still Carthaginians in the 6th century AD? I thought most were sold into slavery or massacred by the Romans. I've heard of the survival of the Punic language mentioned by St. Augustine, so I guess not all perished. Didn't the ancestors of the Berbers made up some portion of the Carthaginian Empire's population? I mean they did use a Berber language for the Carthaginian units in Civ4. :p
St. Augustine says that the Carthaginians still self-identified as "Chanani" in addition to making a pun based on Punic salus "three, Trinity" and Latin salvus "salvation," and Septimius Severus' mother was Punic. The Carthaginians were a Punic elite ruling over a Berber substrate; they had a rather profound influence, culturally and linguistically, on the Berbers of the region, but conversely the Punic elite don't seem to have been much affected by the Berber substrate. Like the Ptolemies in Egypt they probably largely kept to themselves.

St. Augustine says that the Carthaginians still self-identified as "Chanani" in addition to making a pun based on Punic salus "three, Trinity" and Latin salvus "salvation," and Septimius Severus' mother was Punic. The Carthaginians were a Punic elite ruling over a Berber substrate; they had a rather profound influence, culturally and linguistically, on the Berbers of the region, but conversely the Punic elite don't seem to have been much affected by the Berber substrate. Like the Ptolemies in Egypt they probably largely kept to themselves.

Seems like a common situation throughout history (ex: Visigoths in Spain, Ostrogoths and Lombards in Italy, Manchu in China, Vandals in North Africa, and so on). I wonder what happened to the Chanani during the Arab conquest. I'm guessing they assimilated to speaking Arabic.

I wonder what happened to the Chanani during the Arab conquest. I'm guessing they assimilated to speaking Arabic.
Presumably, since they no longer exist as a distinct ethnic group and aren't mentioned after the conquest. The Berbers had the advantage of living in remote regions, allowing them to more successfully retain their culture and language than the urban Punic population.

Now is the best time to bump the thread, given Gathering Storm.

Given that O Canada has been added as a part of Canada's theme (and Du Gamla, Du Fria is added as an ambient theme for Sweden), we could add national anthems for themes.

For example, the United States can have the Star-Spangled Banner, England can have God Save the King/Queen, France can have La Marseillaise, Russia can have the Russian National Anthem (the current one that shares the same tune as the Soviet National Anthem), China can have the March of the Volunteers, and Japan can have Kimigayo. Either Germany or Austria can have the Deutschlandlied/Emperor's Hymn (same tune). However, they have to be marked specifically as national anthems and they have to make sense for the civ (though the anthems don't have to be current).

Last edited:
Oh I'm glad this thread exists, I have plenty of tracks on my wishlist for both existing and not-yet-implemented civs.

Byzantine
Spoiler :
Polychronion - Chant wishing many years upon the Emperor of the Romans. Later used for Ottoman Sultans as well.

Axion esti in plagal 2nd (I think)

Kyrie eleison in plagal 4th

3 Cretan monks - Traditional song about the story of a failed expedition to aid Constantinople in the siege of 1453.

Ottoman
Spoiler :
Çeçen Kızı - The theme I actually rooted for to be their main theme

Hücûm Marşı
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyZFB2CS38U

Armenia

Mongolia
Spoiler :

Now is the best time to bump the thread, given Gathering Storm.

Given that O Canada has been added as a part of Canada's theme (and Du Gamla, Du Fria is added as an ambient theme for Sweden), we could add national anthems for themes.

For example, the United States can have the Star-Spangled Banner, England can have God Save the King/Queen, France can have La Marseillaise, Russia can have the Russian National Anthem (the current one that shares the same tune as the Soviet National Anthem), China can have the March of the Volunteers, and Japan can have Kimigayo. Either Germany or Austria can have the Deutschlandlied/Emperor's Hymn (same tune). However, they have to be marked specifically as national anthems and they have to make sense for the civ (though the anthems don't have to be current).

Oh dear.....March of the Volunteers for China when there is no Mao in the game.....:undecide:

@Guandao

What do you think of adding national anthems?

After all, some civs already have national anthems in their main themes.

Ambivalent about it, I prefer they stick to folk songs.

Ambivalent about it, I prefer they stick to folk songs.
Same, but Firaxis decided to add national anthems anyways, as much as I believe that they don't belong.

My ears are not prepared for such an assault. :cringe:
Who knows? A future Civ game may include the Star-Spangled Banner to troll all of us.

Who gets to claim the melody of "God Save the Queen"/"Molitva russkikh"/"Heil dir im Siegerkranz"/"My Country 'tis of Thee"/"Kongesangen"/"Rufst Du, mein Vaterland"/"E Ola Ke Alii Ke Akua"/"Chomrat Chongcharoen"/"Bevare Gud vår kung"/"Glory to God on High"? :mischief:

My ears are not prepared for such an assault. :cringe:
As long as it's not the Fergie rendition, it might not be as bad as it sounds.
However a rendition of "O Susana" with a banjo would be my preference.

Who gets to claim the melody of "God Save the Queen"/"Molitva russkikh"/"Heil dir im Siegerkranz"/"My Country 'tis of Thee"/"Kongesangen"/"Rufst Du, mein Vaterland"/"E Ola Ke Alii Ke Akua"/"Chomrat Chongcharoen"/"Bevare Gud vår kung"/"Glory to God on High"? :mischief:

The British, obviously, since they used it first. :p

I find it a frightful dirge, and I have no idea why it became so popular, to the extent that everyone decided to copy it for their own proto-anthems.

This for Vietnam or just don't bother at all, tbh.

B A N G E R

Top Bottom