1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Musical Themes Wishlist

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Guandao, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I agree that it would've been cool if Geoff Knorr worked with them to produce the Japanese themes.

2. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Do you know if Spring in Toledo is copyrighted or not?

So Boys of the Lough, Tannahill Weavers, and Silly Wizard perform a lot of old Scottish folk music? I gotta check them out!

3. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

I have long since lost the notes that came with the CD, but, apparently, we just missed out: the Nova Menco brothers copyrighted the song (it is original to them) back in 1997 in the USA and Russia where the original album/CD was simultaneously released (which implies a flamenco culture in Russia that is news to me!), SoundExchange was collecting royalties for downloads of the song in 2007, but then the copyright lapsed and, just our luck, it has been renewed by Apple as of 2019.
    So, yes, it is now copyrighted again. Drat!

Also, as I mentioned, any of Alasdair Fraser's instrumental pieces. Also Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span both 'milk' the older Scots/Irish/English folk traditions, but their renditions are very 'modernized' - great music, but not often in the style of the originals!

4. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Alasdair Fraser is wonderful.

Boris Gudenuf likes this.
  5. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Chieftain

In the Sámi design I posted to the design-a-civ6 thread, I suggested Máze as a theme. Thought I could explain why in this thread.

Spoiler Máze (this recording actually kind of sounds like an atomic era theme) :

I chose this because the song's title and contents (presumably, I don't speak Northern Sámi and can't read the emotions of a joik very well) refer to the village of Máze (Masi) in Norway. In the 70s and 80s, the Norwegian government began planning for the construction of a dam and hydroelectric power plant on the nearby Alta river, which would create an artificial lake and completely flood Máze, rendering it uninhabitable. What followed became known as the Alta controversy, consisting of massive protests from the Sámi population (often by physically blocking construction workers and their vehicles), and at one point the largest concentration of Norwegian police officers deployed after the war were sent to disperse them. The power plant was eventually built, albeit with changed plans, meaning that Máze and its surrounding area were not flooded.

The song sort of embodies the Sámi struggle not just against the Norwegian government, but government actors from the four countries they are native to in general, and also represents an important moment in Sámi history. That's why I think it would be a good fit.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  6. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I've recently come across a tune called Gran Vals. I like the tune, and I think it would be interesting to hear in Civ as a theme for the Spanish Empire. Methinks a certain part of it is recognisable to pretty much everyone...

Interestingly enough, it was written by Francisco Tárrega, a Spanish guitar composer and player, who also composed Recuerdos de la Alhambra, the very same piece that Spain uses for its theme in Civ VI.

Guandao and Zaarin like this.